All Topics / Finance / The best Structure for me?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of AqeelAqeel
    Participant
    @aqeel

I am qualified engineer and has got a new job in mines ($ is twice as what I was earning last year).

I do own my first house which I brought in 2009.

If I want to buy as many investment properties by myself (quick) and safe. What structure would be best? Bcos from Steve's book I see that 'family trust' has…

1. Asset protection
    2. Tax minimisation
    3. Borrowing capacity

My question is, can one person open 'family trust'? Or how is it created? Like what are the steps?

Cheers and thanks for your help!
    Aqeel

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

I think you will find that using a trust does not increase borrowing capacity. This has been discussed at length on these forums- Terryw and Richard Taylor might be able to comment more on this.

As for trusts, anyone can create a trust and there are steps you need to go through. A good tax advisor or acocuntantand a solicitor will be able to help you. Discretionary Trusts with a company as a trustee seem to be the way to go.

Cheers,
    Luke.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Aquel

Firstly welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Yes certainly I am also a great advocate of Discretionary Family Trust Structures as long as you realise that the negative gearing cannot be cliamed and is closeted within the Trust.

Of course once the property becomes positively geared this is not an issue and then they start to come into their own.

Misconception is that Trusts increase your borrowing capacity as this is clearly not the case.

On any appliation you are required to disclose any other loans to which you are a party and this would include your Guarantee in the capacity as Trustee. 

Not all lender like DFT / Pty Ltd structures and many of the major banks charge application / legal fees for assessing the deed. Interest rate discounts are not as generous but in saying that it all depends on the lender concerned.

We deal with many Trust borrowers and have lenders who treat them as a normal application.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry
    Aqeel wrote:
    I am qualified engineer and has got a new job in mines ($ is twice as what I was earning last year).

If I want to buy as many investment properties by myself (quick) and safe. What structure would be best? Bcos from Steve's book I see that 'family trust' has…

1. Asset protection
    2. Tax minimisation
    3. Borrowing capacity

My question is, can one person open 'family trust'? Or how is it created? Like what are the steps?

Aqeel

If you are the only potential beneficiary I can't see how a tust would have any tax benefis to you. With this structure you would need to set it up with a coporate trustee, as you can't have a family trust with the one trustee also being the only beneficiary. The use of a corporate trustee would give you a level of asset protection, but increases costs and reduces your lending options when it comes to residential finance.

The one area where I disagree with the above comments is in the area of servicing. It is true you will not get any assistance with servicing in the short term. But there is potential to have lenders assess only net profit from a trust in future, rather than puting the individual properties and debts into their calculator. It used to be pretty easy to get some lenders to do this and it had a marked affect on borrowing capacity, it is much more difficult at the moment although we have been able to get lenders to assess this way a few timnes recently. Regardless you would need at least 2 tax returns showing profits from the entity.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of AqeelAqeel
    Participant
    @aqeel

Thanks everyone!

Qlds007 you have mentioned that …"negative gearing cannot be cliamed and is closeted within the Trust".

What does this mean? That negative gearing is not an option?

Cheers!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    APerry wrote:
    Aqeel wrote:

1. Asset protection
    2. Tax minimisation
    3. Borrowing capacity

Aqeel

If you are the only potential beneficiary I can't see how a tust would have any tax benefis to you. With this structure you would need to set it up with a coporate trustee, as you can't have a family trust with the one trustee also being the only beneficiary. The use of a corporate trustee would give you a level of asset protection, but increases costs and reduces your lending options when it comes to residential finance.

Regards
    Alistair

I have to disagree with Alistair.

Even a single person can obtain tax benefits of using a discretionary trust – 2 ways at least:
    – By setting up a company as beneficiary and capping the tax at 30% (this can usually be done later).
    – By having future family members come into existence and become beneficiaries – spouses, children, mistresses (in that order).

And although you cannot have a trust with the beneficiary the same as the trustee (you can't hold assets on trust for yourself) you can have a trust with yourself as trustee and a whole range of family beneficiaries – eg future spouses, children, grandchildren, step children etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw
    Aqeel wrote:
    Thanks everyone!

Qlds007 you have mentioned that …"negative gearing cannot be cliamed and is closeted within the Trust".

What does this mean? That negative gearing is not an option?

Cheers!

A trust is a separate tax payer. So if there is a loss it cannot be offset against your personal income.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of AqeelAqeel
    Participant
    @aqeel

Cool…!

Thanks Terryw! it makes sense now!

I guess Individual structure is the only option for me at the moment!

Cheers.

Profile photo of michaelandre70michaelandre70
    @michaelandre70

I also had similar type of query. Thanks to you all for taking time to provide with the information.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry
    Terryw wrote:
    APerry wrote:
    Aqeel wrote:

1. Asset protection
    2. Tax minimisation
    3. Borrowing capacity

Aqeel

Regards
    Alistair

I have to disagree with Alistair.

Even a single person can obtain tax benefits of using a discretionary trust – 2 ways at least:
    – By setting up a company as beneficiary and capping the tax at 30% (this can usually be done later).
    – By having future family members come into existence and become beneficiaries – spouses, children, mistresses (in that order).

And although you cannot have a trust with the beneficiary the same as the trustee (you can't hold assets on trust for yourself) you can have a trust with yourself as trustee and a whole range of family beneficiaries – eg future spouses, children, grandchildren, step children etc.

There has to be net income to distribute before it can be used. As this is unlikely at first and there seem to be no current beneficiaries it is pretty debatable whether a structure is warrented or not. I wouldn't bother, I'd ratgher use the short term tax benefits and savings on expenses, but can also see why some people would choose to use a trust in this situation.

Participant
    @terryw
    APerry wrote:

There has to be net income to distribute before it can be used. As this is unlikely at first and there seem to be no current beneficiaries it is pretty debatable whether a structure is warrented or not. I wouldn't bother, I'd ratgher use the short term tax benefits and savings on expenses, but can also see why some people would choose to use a trust in this situation.

Yes, I can agree with that, but the long term benefits of using a trust may outweigh the short term disadvantages of not being able to claim the losses.

Email Me

Profile photo of 4jojo4jojo
    Participant
    @4jojo

Hi,

I have 2 questions.

1.  If you set up family trust with corporate trustee, is that the same thing as setting up a family trust and a company?

2.  If you set up a family trust, as a wage earner (not self employed), can this wage/salary somehow go into the trust?

Thanks in advance.

Participant
    @terryw
    4jojo wrote:
    Hi,

I have 2 questions.

1.  If you set up family trust with corporate trustee, is that the same thing as setting up a family trust and a company?

2.  If you set up a family trust, as a wage earner (not self employed), can this wage/salary somehow go into the trust?

Thanks in advance.

I have 2 answers:
    1. Could be the same, but maybe different. eg. you could set up a trust and a company which has no capacity in relation to the trust. ie the company could be trustee, or it could be operating in its own right.

2. It is possible, but many hurdles to overcome. First one is that your employer will have to make you a contractor, others are tax related.

Email Me

Profile photo of tmcampbelltmcampbell
    @tmcampbell

Does anyone know of a good resource I can get hold of to learn about trust structures?

Participant
    @terryw

Try http://www.trustmagic.com.au a book by an aust accountant. This is the best general intro out. There are heaps of legal books out there too.

Another good one, but more advanced is the "trust structures guide" – very expensive though

Email Me

Profile photo of tmcampbelltmcampbell
    @tmcampbell
    Terryw wrote:
    Try http://www.trustmagic.com.au a book by an aust accountant. This is the best general intro out. There are heaps of legal books out there too.

Another good one, but more advanced is the "trust structures guide" – very expensive though

Thanks heaps Terryw! Your a champ.

Profile photo of Matt13Matt13
    @matt13

Am I mistaken in thinking that in a family trust (Discretionary) that I as trustee cannot nominate myself as one of the potential beneficiaries along with my spouse, children, grandchildren?

Participant
    @terryw

Yes, this is not the case. A trustee can be a beneficiary, just not the only beneficiary.

Email Me

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.