All Topics / Help Needed! / Where to find previous sale price of property.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123

I went to RPdata to see if I could find where I could purchase the listing of when a block of land previously sold for, and how much. Can someone help me out and let me know where it is possible to do this? I think it will help my negotiating power – and of course, research.

Many thanks.
    (Newby)

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I cannot for the life of me work out why people believe that they will be in a better bargaining position if they know when the vendor purchased their property. It bears little relevance to today's market, the circumstances of their purchase, the extent of work which may have been undertaken or any windfall gains that they have made on the property.

You are far better off knowing what land is worth in the area and making an adjustment for the specifics of the property.

Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123

Hi Scott No Mates

I think you are on the right track. I do think, however, that if the property was bought a long time ago (depending on other circumstances) they may not require full market value for the property (just one example off the top of my head).

Definately need to do more research on what has sold and for what in the area – but that is why I need to get my hands on the reports.

Cheers.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Actually it can make a difference. For example if the property was sold less than 5 years ago or if the owner overpaid you have little room to negotiate. If you know the owner has had it for 20 years they may not have a mortgage and have room to move. RP data can also tell you how long a property has been on the market and for what price. If a place has been marketed a few times with different agents over a period of time I know the person wants it sold so may be open to offers.

I saw a property advertised once. Looked it up and saw that they tried to sell it 3 months earlier at a lower price. Don't know what the deal was there.

Participant
    @marie123

Thanks Catalyst.

I know this one has been sitting on the market for some time. The sale price is "POA Neg", so it doesn't really help much. Will have another look at RP data and see if I can come up with anything this time.

Cheers :)

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

So did you end up finding the property on RPdata?  Your friendly mortgage broker should have an RPdata licence and be able to provide you with the report  you require

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of acjdacjd
    Participant
    @acjd

Guys, information is power. the more information you have, the more power you have. I'm currently buying an investment property and through RPdata know what the median and average price in the street is, I know what the neighbour bought for, I know they listed the property for in October this year and haven't sold since, and I know it was listed for rent in may last year. All of this is important information to me as a buyer and forms the foundation for my offer. In my opinion, all the information you can get is important.

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I'll restate, the price that the owner paid has very little bearing on what they will accept – it is more important to know what everything else around it is selling for as well as the metrics for the current sale eg time on market which will have more concurrence to the current negotiation.

Profile photo of acjdacjd
    Participant
    @acjd
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    I'll restate, the price that the owner paid has very little bearing on what they will accept – it is more important to know what everything else around it is selling for as well as the metrics for the current sale eg time on market which will have more concurrence to the current negotiation.

I disagree. If you buy a property for $400 and list it at $450, and then someone offers $395, are you less likely to accept it than if its above your original purchase price? I think everyone knows the answer to that.

Profile photo of bevkbevk
    Participant
    @bevk

I don't think it's much use to know this. You can get the knowledge, but it won't have much bearing on your negotiation power IMO.

Our next door neighbour bought their 3bed/2bath home in 2003 for $555K. They are currently selling it at approx $950K. Knowing how much they paid for it is not relevant to the market today because the median for that type of home is now just under 1m. You can hardly come along and offer them $700K – they'll laugh at you.

Participant
    @marie123
    JacM wrote:

So did you end up finding the property on RPdata?  Your friendly mortgage broker should have an RPdata licence and be able to provide you with the report  you require

Hi JacM

I haven't found it yet as the person I have got in touch with to ask hasn't got back to me. Thanks for the info. :D

Participant
    @marie123

Hi Bevk

I guess it would depend on the circumstance. Someone buying in 1990 selling today might be willing to sell for $700k instead of the $950.. esp. if they were looking for a quick sale?

Participant
    @marie123

I have another question – as a newbie and all to this game of buying and negotiation – how do you ask the sales agent "why" the landlord is selling? Is there any good way, apart from just coming out and asking the question, ect?

Cheers
    Marie

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

I don't know that 'd ever take a $250k price drop even if I was desperate (maybe in USA!)

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of blockablocka
    Participant
    @blocka

HEY PEOPLE JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION GGGRRRRR

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

you can only ask & the agent doesn’t need to disclose the reason.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    Marie123 wrote:
    I have another question – as a newbie and all to this game of buying and negotiation – how do you ask the sales agent "why" the landlord is selling? Is there any good way, apart from just coming out and asking the question, ect?

Cheers
    Marie

You can just ask. You may not get an honest answer though. Ask if they want a quick settlement. That is good info to have. They may have bought elsewhere and you can negotiate around that. The more info you have the better your chances for negotiation.

Participant
    @marie123

Thanks guys :)

D, I am the same. I wouldn't take that big a discount either.

C, the property I am looking at has been sitting on the market for over 2 months now (I guess that isn't strange in this market). The type of property I have been looking for is very rare in the chosen suburb I am looking at however, so I am a bit surprised. Perhaps it is an investor selling that wants top dollar and is prepared to wait.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Marie,

Some times it isn't about the money at all. There is one for sale near me which has been on the market for at least 4 mths which is unheard of in this area. The property is owned by two brothers who cannot agree on selling the property. The property has no doors or windows and is gutted but has brand new steel reinforcing under the house and brand new plaster.

They are squabbling over the property. (1.2 mil) I don't know if this property will ever sell. Our agent warned us not to touch it (listed through another agent) as he had one brother then the other come into his office each calling the other crazy.

You are better off knowing the reason behind the sale, who the vendor is and what they are doing next. Our current one is older lady going into care selling family home, son wants top dollar, older lady doesn't care, son making decisions. It doesn't really matter what the property sold for in 1950 when they bought/built it. It doesn't even matter what the vendor really wants as we are dealing more with the son.

Good luck

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I have found that an alternative way of finding out the reason for the sale is by asking the agent if the vendor "has found elsewhere nice for themselves to live as yet", or simply ask "where the vendor is moving to" with a stupid grin on your face like the whole adventure must be terribly exciting and how wonderful that you are involved in it all.  This kind of forces the agent to say "yes they have already bought another PPOR" which tells you they need to sell this one.  Or they might say that the house is being offloaded in a divorce, or that someone elderly owns it and has indeed found a place in a nursing home and the sale is funding the move etc etc.  A great response is when they say that the vendors have decided to move interstate.  This is not a move that happens quickly, and in my opinion creates a wonderful opportunity to make an offer that involves a long settlement period, during which the vendor knows they've sold their house and can plan their next move with confidence, but at the same time, you don't have to cough up the cash for ages ;-)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.