All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Can this strategy work?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing my first property and trying to determine the best way to structure things from a tax perspective. Can anyone please confirm if my plan below will work.

– Purchase a property with a unrenovated house at the front on a large block (600sqm)
    – Make this house my PPOR for 6 months and renovate while living in property.
    – While renovating also subdivide the block and immediatley sell block to my sister or g/f.
    – Sister or g/f then build a house at the back as there PPOR.

Once all is completed each home would have been lived in for above 6 months and can be sold as PPOR tax free. I am aware stamp duty will be payable when subdivided block is sold.

Anyone have any thoughts on the above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mav

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

unfortunately you’ll be liable for cgt & possibly gst on the ‘newly created parcel of land’.

All that glitters is not gold.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You could possibly avoid GST by purchasing it int he exact same percentages as the final ownership and use a deed of partition. So when it is divided you are not changing any ownership percentages.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunetly, I dont understand the reason why I would have to pay any cgt?

Lets say I lived in a home for 2 years with a large block and then decided I didnt need half of it. If i subdivided and sold I thought I would not need to pay any cgt for the period in which I owned that portion as part of my PPOR.

If I held the subdivided block and then built on it and used the proprty as an investment then the cgt would be calculated from that date or close to?

Can shed some more light on the above.

Cheers,

Mav

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Mav

Rather than confuse you with technical reasoning you might want to have a look at an article on just such a strategy on Bantics website http://www.bantics.com.au "How not to be a Property Developer".

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

Ok Richard.

Is there anyone that can please elaborate as to why the cgt would need to be payable?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

You are creating a new block.

Profile photo of chalkergroupchalkergroup
    Participant
    @chalkergroup

because you are making a capital gain bud?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.