All Topics / Finance / Financial types please!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

Hi all,

So I have searched the archives with no joy… wondering if anyone has some input that could answer this query:

Can you use an unsecured personal loan as a 5% deposit and purchase costs for a house?

For a case study, could you: 
    – Show a record of savings by paying off 20k secured personal loan at a rate of (as much as) $1k/fn;
    – show a bank balance of 3k legitimate, and 7-8k non-legitimate savings (say it were 'gifted'); then
    – borrow enough on a personal loan to cover a 5% deposit, purchasing costs, and basic reno's (carpet, paint etc). 

That is basically the situation we are in at the moment. A number of properties that are 'too good to be true' keep popping up and getting snapped up in my preferred area. We want in on one of them, but after smashing the personal loan my partner got for her car and motorbike we have only got about 3k to put toward a deposit…

I like the idea that doing this could get us an investment property, and we could turn it around by xmas (for rent). Whereas, to save enough for purchase costs, deposit, and reno would likely take us until mid next year. But would any of the major banks go for this???

I also like the concept that by borrowing for a deposit, stamp duty, and renovations this also constitutes an 'investment expense' and should be tax deductable… but I am not sure if the tax man/woman would agree with my logic here???

Your thoughts?

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

I should add, we do have a PPOR, but there is not enough equity in it to use.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

It will all depend.

Some of the lenders / mortgage insurers will not have a problem with it as long as the overall serviceability is there others will want to see either equity or genuine savings.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @grimnar

Excellent news! thanks for your input Richard.

I am confident with servicability. Indications from the various online calculators provided by the banks would suggest a borrowing capacity significantly higher than what I am looking for.

Can anyone shed some light on what the tax implications may be when doing something like this?
    Obviously I will consult an accountant before doing anything, just wondering if anyone has done similar or have any anecdotes from similar situations they have been in? 

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

tax implications of borrowing the deposit? it would be treat as any other loan – if used for investments the interest should be deductible.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Exactly as Terry says.

If the interest rate is greater than the housing rate then you will just claim the interest the same as you would with any loan that is for investment purposes.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @grimnar

That's awesome guys, thanks for all your help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.