All Topics / Help Needed! / On the way to buy my 2nd IP – questions on refinancing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of rockneyrockney
    Participant
    @rockney

Hi all,

I've just found out about this forum and this is my first post here. I have some questions about refinancing and hopefully someone here can help. Thanks in advance.

Here is my current situation;

I'm 26 and I have purchased my first property as PPOR about 18 months ago. After 12 months I turned it into a IP and moved back to live with my parents, in an attempt to save up extra money for my 2nd IP. Currently I owe 288k on my mortgage and the property is valued at 390k. Right now I'm trying to save up some more and then purchase my 2nd IP in 3-6 months. When I'm ready, I will refinance my 1st IP and use the money to pay for my 2nd IP.

Available equity = 80% of property value – debt
    (80% x 390k) – 288k = 24k

I have 10k in cash and ~20k in shares now, therefore I have roughly 54k in total for the deposit.

My questions are:
    1) (pretty dumb question but I still need to know) Say I do borrow the whole 24k, will this be added on top of the 288k to 312k? therefore increasing my mortgage repayment for my 1st IP loan?
    2) What is the general cost to do a refinancing? Is there anything in particular I should look out for (the loan is with ANZ)? Is taking out to the 80% of the property too aggressive?
    3) For my 2nd IP, I'm looking at a property around 200k, so with a 20% deposit plus 10k purchase cost, making it 50k of total buying cost. Say in 3-6 months time I save up another 3k to a total of 57k, is it enough of a 'safety buffer' for such a purchase? or should I knuckle down and save up some more before buying?

Cheers

Profile photo of Matthew BMatthew B
    @matthew-b

Hello Rockney,

The increase of $24K can be set up in a separate split to the first loan. If you select the right loan structure you can avoid making repayments on the additional amount until you settle on the new property. 

When refinancing you have to look out for exit costs with your existing lender, which will vary depending on how long you have had the loan. You can find these out by giving your bank a call and they will vary from between a few hundred $ to a couple of thousand. There will also be other costs involved with setting up the loan with the new lender. I always advise my clients they should not refinance to another lender unless they have a good reason to do so such as being able to obtain significant savings in repayments (enough to more than cancel out the costs and efforts of refinancing), they can obtain a better loan structure, they hate their current lender etc.
    Your question regarding is lending to an 80% LVR being too aggressive depends on your circumstances and your personality. The higher leverage you have in place the greater the potential returns and potential losses. Most people I work with are very comfortable lending to an 80% LVR but I have some clients who would happily borrow to 100% if they could. If you are unsure about where your comfort level is you are welcome to get in contact with me and I will be happy to send you a questionnaire that will provide you with a bit more clarity.
    In regards to your final question, you can never have too much buffer in place but how much you need will depend on your cash-flow after taking into consideration your employment income, rental income and your outgoings. If you have enough surplus to cover a loss of tenant for a length of time, loss of employment or a series of unexpected expenses then you can get away with a relatively small buffer. If you are not in a position to cover the situations then a larger buffer would be advisable.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You should definitely try to set up a separate loan for the equity . This is especially so if there is a chance you will move back into the house again as the main loan will then be non deductible. So you don't want to mix the 2.

Also consider the tax implications of your cash. It may be better to pay the cash into the loan and then reborrow -especially if the first house will be your home again. Otherwise you will be paying more tax.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of rockneyrockney
    Participant
    @rockney

Thanks for the replies

Matthew, by setting up a separate split loan, would the interest payable for the 24k be in the same interest rate as my 1st IP loan? Also, what is your thought on setting up a trust for my IPs, in terms of assets protection, as my goal is to grow a multiple properties portfolio?

Terry, I don't quite understand about your view on tax implications. I do not intend to move back into my 1st IP and my potential 2nd IP, would it be best to set up an Interest Only loan with offset account? Also, what is your view on setting up a trust for IPs?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you are not going to move back in then there may not be tax issues.
    IO loans are the way to go.
    I am all for trusts too.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    rockney wrote:
    Matthew, by setting up a separate split loan, would the interest payable for the 24k be in the same interest rate as my 1st IP loan?

Yep, the rate should be the same.

There's probably no need to refinance with another lender. Just need to set-up the second loan split with ANZ as indicated above.

Whether you go to 80% LVR or higher comes down to your own individual risk profile. If you're reasonably risk adverse and would prefer to have a buffer then going to 80% isn't a bad idea. If you want to be more aggressive and accumulate more in a shorter timeframe, then you could consider refinancing up to 90% LVR – you'll have to pay some LMI (you can do a search on the pros/cons of paying LMI – I personally don't have a prob with paying it, especially in the early stages where equity isn't that plentiful).

In any case, a decent broker with investment knowledge will structure it correctly for you.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.