All Topics / Help Needed! / current situation/goals advice please

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of Ben KBen K
    Participant
    @ben-k

Hi every one,

I know the forum is commonplace for people sharing their situation and asking for advice, but i would really appreciate your input on where my partner and i are at and help steer us in the right direction. we have a sound knowledge base but would love to hear your thoughts and any advice you all may have, so thank you in advance for reading and hopefully replying.

I am 23 and my partner is 26 yrs old
    My Fiance and i are taking up residence in Alice springs in the NT, for at least 2 years. i recently accepted a great job as GM of a company here, on a salary of 75k + all the extras, and my partner arrives here from NZ on the 16th of october, she will take a role at either westpac or commonwealth bank and be on a salary that totals about 55k to begin with, more if a position is open as she is over qualified for a starting role.
    We have a small amount of savings just under 10k AUD, and are holding an event here in alice in april that should net us about 15-20k in profit which will be put on top of that, to go toward our deposit.

we have no children and only pay about 100 dollars AUD each a week back to nz for bills (student debt)
    our annual income as of november combined will be about 125 – 130000.

We have no chattels here and havent been in australia long enough to get a Personal loan so i have decided to H.P some furniture and pay it off several hundred dollars a week so we own it outright and have a credit rating here in australia to take to the bank. we will not be penalised for paying it early and with any luck i can get a 24 month interest free term.

our goal – 2 properties in 2 years, a ppor and i.p.
    we would like to buy in EARLY may just after our event takes place here, and again in jan the following year.

Our idea, is to save as much as humanely possible each week from our decent income, put our savings in an e-account to show ability to save, and pay off the furniture by jan/feb so we own stuff and have a record of payments.

we would then like to buy a property that has the potential to have equity built through cosmetic reno, nothing major all the things an investor does to create the "new feeling" and add value, with any luck put a pool in (a huge buying factor here in the NT)

i would assume putting our properties in a LAQC (loss attributing qualifying company,called that in nz, same in aus?) would be the way to go, but i would love some input on this.

The idea behind the cosmetic reno wuld be to get some equity for 10/11 months later when we wish to buy again, during this time, and after reading some of TerryW's posts, i was initially going to put our home on p&i payments but now am wondering if we should have interest only and an offset account? would love some insight on this. in any case, we want to smash as much of the principle as we can so we have solid equity to draw down on as a deposit on our next home.

with the i.p – i dont care what it looks like as long as the numbers work. the NT has rock solid rental ability so i will rely on reno techniques and a long term hold strategy for growth.

The main goal is having a deposit for the banks, and good account conduct so they want to take us on.

so that is what we have planned, i am working very hard and look forward to what is to come, i love reading the forums and really enjoy everyones stories. thanks and i look forward to all of your advice, big or small.

Thanks everyone

Ben

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

always interest only with offset account.  remove the idea of paying off the principal and replace it with the concept of filling the offset account with money up to the value of the principal.  that way you'd eventually pay no interest, and the cash would be in the offset either to one day pay off the principal, or pull it back out again and sink it into a separate property.  you can't do this if you paid down the actual loan itself.  you'd have to refinance and pay all the associated fees to do so, which adds up.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Ben KBen K
    Participant
    @ben-k

Thanks JacM, so essentially its avoiding any fees i would incur when refinancing to deposit on our 2nd property, i guess the only difference being i can no longer positively gear the property through paying down the principle gradually?

appreciate the response thank you

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Ben

Yep, stick with interest only with an offset attached. It provides you with more flexibility and control. The reason being that you can access the cash in your offset account whenever you like. On the flip side, if you were paying down the principle on a principle & interest loan and wanted to access some of the equity down the track, it's harder to get this cash-out (and it will usually cost you some money).

To get the ball rolling, you might want to consider a 95% loan with the Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) capitalised onto the loan. That way, you only need to bring a 5% deposit and completion costs (stamp duty, ect) to the deal.

However, the issue with 95% loans is that they can be tough to get accross the line – they tend to make lenders and mortgage insurers a little uncomfortable. You will need to demonstrate a genuine savings history (generally over a three month period) and neither of you can be on a probationary period with work (which I suspect may be the case if you're starting in new jobs).

Most of the big banks offer 95% loans to "existing customers" – an existing customer can be someone that's had a credit card with the institution for at least 6 months……something to maybe consider. There are other lenders that will provide 95% loans to new customers also.

If you can save like crazy for 6 months then this might be the best approach. If you want to buy sooner than you'll probably have to bring a bigger deposit to the deal.

Best of luck with reaching your goal – you sound determined and switched on, I think you'll do fine.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

One of the main ideas behind using IO loans is not poisoning your money by changing the tax deductibility of loans – but there are also many other benefits such as lower repayments which means you can afford more.

Don't worry about making individual properties cashflow positive – worry about the overall situation. And using the offset account/IO option will also enable a property to be cashflow positive but without the tax consequences of using a PI loan.

in regards to the LAQC, Australia is a bit different than NZ. Companies and trusts here cannot distribute losses and so a loss in a company or trust cannot offset your personal income. Losses in companies or trusts will need to be carried forward and can be used to offset future incomes.

Also it is not wise to use a company to own realestate because of the lack of asset protection and the tax situation here. Companies cannot get the 50% CGT reduction which is available to individuals and can be accessed through trusts as well. Its best to use a discretionary trust to own property – with a company as trustee.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @ben-k

Jamie and Terry, Thank you very much for your responses,

ive got a good grasp on using an offset account now and a 95 % lend (although i hope to take more to the deal)

and also regarding owning a property through a company, very interesting i will dig up more threads on that.

thank you again

Profile photo of haiquhaiqu
    @haiqu

Hi Ben,

Don't bother with the HP arrangement, it will make zero dfference to your ability to apply for a loan. Banks work on specific low-risk criteria which include:

– must have been employed in the same job for 12 months
    – must be able to show a history of saving at least 5% deposit
    – must pay Mortgagee Insurance if borrowing over 80%

Your best bet is to take advantage of the fact that your fiance will be working at a bank and use their preferential treatment for staff. If she has come straight from a banking job in kiwiland, a reference from there may even be enough to circumvent the waiting period. Since you're both earning good money, save 20% of your first property purchase to avoid Mortgagee Insurance which would cost you about $3000 on the average loan. Doing this will also bypass a lot of the usual frowning and dithering that bank loan officers tend to do when they're called on to actually make a decision because your application will have ticked all the right boxes.

Put the PPOR in your own names to get CGT exemption, then start a $2.00 company for the investment properties. When/if you have kids down the track, consider a discretionary trust.

Good luck, and welcome to Australia bro.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Saving a 20% deposit will take some time. I'm not sure how much properties are going for in Alice Springs but if you were to purchase something for around $300k, you'd need to save a $60k deposit as well as the funds to complete (stamp duty, legal fees, ect).

By paying some LMI, you can enter the market quicker (and you can often add the LMI to the loan – so you don't have to use your own cash up front). Personally, I don't see a problem with paying LMI. For first home buyers, it enables them to get into the market without saving for years for a property that continues to go up in price. For investors, it enables us to purchase more with less – especially in the early stages.  

There's been a few threads on the pros and cons of LMI – do a quick search and you'll find plenty of info.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @terryw

I agree that it is probably best to utilise the PPOR CGT exemption, but disagree on using a company to own property. I cannot see any benefit of a company over a discretionary trust – certainly have a company as trustee, but to buy in a company in its own right would result in no 50% CGT exemption and no tax flexibility. Even if you would be paying more than 30% in tax it is still better to use a DT over a company. If you use a DT you can still distribute to a company as cap your tax at 30% if need be, but you dont need to and you can change things around. With a company your shareholdings are fixed and so you dividends are too.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@haiqu

I'm not particularly au fait with the finer details of trusts, but from reading Dymphna Boholt's "From Virtually Zero to $3.5 Million in My First 18 Months in Real Estate" the impression I was left with was that only a very good accountant could keep track of the complexity of such arrangements, and I've never met an accountant in whose faith I could put this much control of my financial affairs. Nor would I want to pay the setup and maintenance costs of the tangled structure she espouses, or fill in the multiple tax returns and study CCHs regularly looking for new loopholes and changes.

A company merely keeps property dealings at arm's length so that your PPOR isn't on the line should anything go wrong. Since my strategy is to hang onto property indefinitely, potential CGT losses are fairly irrelevant. More important when starting out is maximal availability of expansion funds and a simple but workable structure. There is still adequate tax flexibility in the sense that you can leave funds in the company and pay 30% maximum or distribute franked profits to directors if needed. And further down the track if something more substantial is required, it can be converted to a trust.

I don't quite understand your point about fixed shareholdings and dividends, the OP was asking for advice for himself and his partner on property investment and not trying to set up a megalithic corporation. The average property investor only ever buys one investment property, and very few have more than four.

@haiqu
    Jamie M wrote:

Saving a 20% deposit will take some time. I'm not sure how much properties are going for in Alice Springs but if you were to purchase something for around $300k, you'd need to save a $60k deposit as well as the funds to complete (stamp duty, legal fees, ect).

With a combined income of $130k and no kids this should be fairly achievable, although the NT market is rising faster than most so you may have a good point there. I'd still go for the 20% deposit if they could see their way to doing it. Let's face it, their first rental lease will likely be for 12 months anyhow.

Participant
    @terryw
    haiqu wrote:
    I'm not particularly au fait with the finer details of trusts, but from reading Dymphna Boholt's "From Virtually Zero to $3.5 Million in My First 18 Months in Real Estate" the impression I was left with was that only a very good accountant could keep track of the complexity of such arrangements, and I've never met an accountant in whose faith I could put this much control of my financial affairs. Nor would I want to pay the setup and maintenance costs of the tangled structure she espouses, or fill in the multiple tax returns and study CCHs regularly looking for new loopholes and changes.

A company merely keeps property dealings at arm's length so that your PPOR isn't on the line should anything go wrong. Since my strategy is to hang onto property indefinitely, potential CGT losses are fairly irrelevant. More important when starting out is maximal availability of expansion funds and a simple but workable structure. There is still adequate tax flexibility in the sense that you can leave funds in the company and pay 30% maximum or distribute franked profits to directors if needed. And further down the track if something more substantial is required, it can be converted to a trust.

I don't quite understand your point about fixed shareholdings and dividends, the OP was asking for advice for himself and his partner on property investment and not trying to set up a megalithic corporation. The average property investor only ever buys one investment property, and very few have more than four.

Mate, you are crazy for not looking into trusts. A company is not recommended for owning appreciating assets – usually just for trading because of the limited liability factor. in fact I have never heard anyone recommending a company for owning property.

Trusts can be complex (but so are companies), but if instead of using a company you use a trust it is only a trust tax return rather than a company. Shouldn't cost anymore in accounting fees.

a simple example with tax may change your mind.

Say they only even buy one property. Over time the income from rent, after expenses reaches $10,000 pa. If they had a company with 50/50 shares each then they would generally get $5,000 each in dividends – or leave it in the company and pay 30% tax. Say the man was on a high income – he would pay more tax, and the wife was on a low income – she would pay less tax, and maybe get some back because of the franking credits. But there would be no flexibility in changing the arrangement – you couldn't give all the income to the wife for example, because she only owns 50% of the shares. The company could employ her – but then you have to worry about taking tax out, paying super etc.

Now say the property was held by a discretionary trust. The trustee would decide, this year, to distribute all the income to the wife. This would result in low, or even no tax (adults can earn $16,000 pa tax free now). The next year the wife may be back at work and the husband off having lost his job, then the trustee could distribute all the income to the husband and no tax would be payable. If it is a company then you won't have this flexibility.

Then imagine the savings is sold – and you never know when you may need to sell – a person pays a maximum tax rate of about 46%, with the 50% discount this is 23%. that is a 7% savings over a company and you would also distribute to lower income earners first so you may not pay this high anyway.

Now think of the asset protection issues. Say you are sued and cannot pay and go bankrupt. Your shares are treated as property under the bankruptcy Act and are available for creditors – the bankruptcy trustee will stand in your shoes and take ownership of the shares and thereby control your company.

If you had owned the property via a trust – property held on trust is not defined as property under the bankruptcy act. ie not available for creditors – usually. Being a beneficiary of a trust is also not property – your trustee would simply stop distributing to you while bankrupt, otherwise the money received will be seized by the bankruptcy trustee. Once you are out of bankruptcy you can safely start receiving distributions again.

Email Me

Participant
    @jacm

Hi Terry,

How much do trusts cost to set up, and run annually?  I'm generally wondering whether a person should have all their property in trusts, or only bother once they own more than one or two.  I'm also wondering whether there has to be one trust per property, or just put all properties under the one trust?

JacM

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @terryw

Costs from $0 to $10,000 to set up, and running costs from $0 to thousands to run. It all depends on how complex it is. It is another tax return, so a bit extra there, but having 10 properties in your own name v 10 in a trust shouldn't cost much extra in tax agent fees.

I forgot to add above that you can only change ownership later at considerable cost and the loss of considerable asset protection. So it is best to do from the beginning.

You can have multiple houses per  trust, but ideally 1 for greater asset protection. Imagine if you had all your eggs in one basket and the tenant sues you as landlord = all your houses may be exposed. Having them in separate trusts also has added estate planning benefits – easier to pass control to different people down the track.

Email Me

Participant
    @ben-k

good morning all,

Thank you for your responses so far, it certainly makes interesting reading.
    Terry,
    Numerous investors i have dealings with in the "real" world use trusts, none i dont think are as tax savvy as yourself – none have said it was for tax reasons, they simply use trusts to ensure if things go pear shaped that they are protected, so thank you very much for your added advice on the benefits of using a trust its excellent,
    As far as creating a +CF property is concerned, do you need to recieve an "income" after expenses per week eg after mortgage payments etc the rent pays you $20, or is +CF property simply a investment that ends up in th black annually? my goal would be to have the weekly income so i will be looking to achieve that, and am currently trying to learn about depreciation laws here in aus (i hope they are similar to nz) to see wether using depreciation allows me to get a property over the line as +CF. again, thank you for the posts so far Terry,

haiqu,
    Thanks for the welcome, bro
    as per your previous post, i too am looking at holding on to property indefinately, so would be interested to hear your strategies implemented so far or plan of attack for the future. i like the idea of putting our ppor in our names that yourself and Terry mentioned and following on from that i would have used an LAQC like i mentioned previously until Terry alerted me to the differences between here and NZ, so at this time i am just looking for alternative avenues so your advice and opinion is awesome. you are right, initially i will be looking to keep things as simple as possible as far as accounting is concerned – my main focus is simply to aquire property and have the servicability to keep them, and use reno or creative techniques to build equity/make them +CF.

Jamie,

I have done a search on LMI and found heaps to read so thanks for the heads up mate, id love to be able to go in with 20% by april next year, as i said i am holding an event that i believe will net me some funds to help reach that goal, but it is great to know that i have that option and that all is not lost if i pull up a tad short, as i want to stick to my deadlines!!!

I really appreciate all your posts and look forward to hearing more,

thanks again guys

Participant
    @jacm

Hi Terry,

Thankyou for your reply.  I'm in the process of purchasing something at present – proposed to be in my name.  The finance is all approved in my name.  Might be a bit tricky to now ask the bank to redirect the finance into the name of a trust?

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @terryw
    JacM wrote:
    Hi Terry,

Thankyou for your reply.  I'm in the process of purchasing something at present – proposed to be in my name.  The finance is all approved in my name.  Might be a bit tricky to now ask the bank to redirect the finance into the name of a trust?

Not too tricky, it can be done easily. But you may have problems if you have already exchanged contracts and the trust hasn't been formed. Best to speak to your lawyer.

Also you should understand the negatives of using a trust – more land tax, possibly, and they are unable to distribute losses so you cannot save on personal income tax if negative gearing.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw

Ben

Don't worry too much about the various definitions of postive cashflow/gearing. What you want is a property that does not cost you money. So do some spreadsheets and play around with the numbers:

eg. say you had an rental income of $10,000 pa, but expenses out of pocket of $9,000 pa. That would mean it is putting $1000 pa into your pocket – but then you add in the non cash deductions, such as depreciation and borrowing expenses (these are deductions that don't cost you anything any further – you paid on purchase). Say the non cash deductions add up to $2,000 pa. Your property would be running at a loss of $1,000 pa, but at the same time giving you $1,000 pa income. It may be classed as cashflow positive but negatively geared.

BTW if this property was held in your own name this loss could decrease your personal income, so you may get, say, $300 back on tax. If it was held in a trust you cannot offset your personal income and you would get nothing back, the loss will be carried forward to next year.

Also note too that in some states trust don't get the land tax tax free threshold, so buying in a trust may result in higher land tax. But after you get a few in your name you will be paying the same land tax whether in a trust or your own name.

Email Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

JacM

As Terry has mentioned as long as you are aware of the short term negatives of buying in Trust then really if you are the Trustee then your Bank shouldnt have too many issues in amending the application.

It is just where you have a Corporate Trustee many lenders like to ub their hands with glee as they can charge more for assessing the Trust Deed or not discounting the interest rate. In saying this there are many lenders who dont charge any more for borrowing in Trust and this is where you may need to shop around.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @jacm

Thanks boys.  All very valid points.  I had thought that I would keep this one in my name in order to write the losses off against my income, and purchase any additional properties through trusts. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.