All Topics / Help Needed! / Anyone in the know?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of stevo81stevo81
    @stevo81

Looking at best lenders for purchase of property.

I went to Bank West today and felt there could be room for improvment, i have also checked out the choice package from NAB.

I was hoping someone might have some experience/adivce they can share, and a good lender? AMO? Aussie, 1 of the big 4?

I have 90% LVR and want someone who will cap the MI.
    100% offset 

If someone has recently been through this process i would be interested to see who they went with. 

Cheers, 
    Steve.  

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

stick to a major bank. NAB should be ok, I think they could probably cap the LMI at 90%, but not sure.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Stevo,

Agree with Terry – stick to a major bank. Have you spoke with your current bank? (whoever that may be) The nab choice pacakge is likely to be one of the best value bank loan packages you will find – especially if you are borrowing over $250k, and have a rewards credit card, and other banking needs – market leading rate too now for quite a while. LMI will need to be included in the loan amount / costs however with the NAB, it is not 'capped' technically.
    Run a mile form mortgage managers or originators, and even more so credit unions!

All the best.

Profile photo of Kat TaylorKat Taylor
    @kat-taylor

Hi v8,

excuse my ignorance, but why ‘run a mile from mortgage managers or originators, and even more so credit unions!’?

There is a lot I need to learn about this investing business…

Cheers,
    kat

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

difficulties later on when trying to get increases, lack of offset accounts, high exit fees and all loans mortgage insured.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Kat TaylorKat Taylor
    @kat-taylor

I see…that makes sense – when I’ve been looking at the loan ratings on the cannex website, there seemed to be a lot of the CUs and non-major lenders who do offer offset accounts, but you’re right, they don’t mention exit fees and MI…might be ok for a home loan, but doesn’t seem very flexible for an IP..

Thanks Terryw!

kat

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Kat

Mortgage managers and non bank lenders dont offer offset accounts in the true sense of the word they offer loan redraw accounts which is completely different especially when it comes to Tax time.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of stevo81stevo81
    @stevo81

Popped into hsbc today. They have a very competitive introductory rate 1.75% off base variable for 12 months.Also 0.7% off stanard variable after 12months. Have to stat with them for 3 years. Anyone had experience with hsbc?

Participant
    @qlds007

They thankfully pulled out of the Broker market about 3 years ago when they sold their loan book to First Mac.

Service levels were a disgrace so First Mac had to kick them into some shape.

You might start your home loan with HSBC but if they have a change of heart you might end up with someone else.

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

No different to NAB advantage loans. Which of course are not actual NAB loans. Just funded by NAB. For now.

Participant
    @qlds007

Totally agree exactly the same as Homepath with CBA, One Direct with Anz etc etc etc.

Profile photo of Greg ReidGreg Reid
    @greg-reid

Steve,
    There are second tier lenders that offer service, full offset and reasonable rates, unlike the Big4.
    ING is one, AMP is another which has no fees on either offset or loan account and at 6.64%, a good deal.

Homeside offer some innovative lender deals (broker channel for NAB) with lower rates for lower LVR's, down to 6.47% < 75% or at 90% 6.67% but with $10 a month fees.

If you want an offset account that is easy to use, keep away from CBA. Of the other Big 4, I prefer ANZ for service and rates.
    Good luck

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia
    Kat Taylor wrote:
    Hi v8, excuse my ignorance, but why 'run a mile from mortgage managers or originators, and even more so credit unions!'? There is a lot I need to learn about this investing business… Cheers, kat

Hey Kat,

Not ignorance at all…….it really come down to what you are planning to do.
    In all truth, credit unions and mortgage originators (only maybe for the latter) may be ok for a 'bread and butter' home loan that you never plan on doing anything with other than paying off over 30 years, and never want to invest or purchase a second or subsequent property. Really though, unless that particular organization has a good staff member/loans officer etc working for them at that time (while they are wondering how soon can they get out and work somewhere that they are given some latitude to use their experience) you will not get any helpful advice, you will have to know what you want exactly, and hope they give it to you. 
    The majority of credit unions still assess home (and all ) lending manually (ie the loan staff have to write a two page essay based on the personal opinion of what one or two people at the organizations head office require – people with big egos & with no business or investment experience at all –  deem as 'prudent lending – and hoping they got them on a good day) – which while can be handy on the odd occasion, is not as 'objective' as a bank that uses much more efficient and objective lending decision processes.
    The problem with mortgage originators, that was not such an issue until the GFC, is that you are totally at the mercy of the loan you have being either onsold to another lender (which usually means higher interest, as they have 'bailed out the mortgage originator') or more volatility in interest rates.
    IN the past it may not have been such a big deal, but right now there are a lot of people hurting real bad, or that cannot use their equity as they would like that have lent with places such as this in the past.
    Some others may disagree, but bank owned 'other lenders' (thinking Homeside, BankWest etc etc) are not that bad, they often use different policies / mortgage insurers / or suffer in their service levels compared to the major banks themselves – and I guess why shop at ALDI when you can buy name brand stuff for around the same price? (forgive the analogy – but hope you get the idea)

All the best.
    <br /:-)” title=”>:-)” class=”bbcode_smiley” />  

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.