All Topics / Finance / Renovation finance

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of David AndersonDavid Anderson
    @david-anderson

Hi,

If you buy a property with the intention to do a massive renovation how do you go about securing renovation funds or do you need to front up the cash yourself?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You will need cash or borrow from another property as you will only get a max of 90 to 95% of the value or purchase price of the house you are buying.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of LHLH
    Participant
    @lh

Are you planning to do the renovation yourself?
    Some lenders will give you the money for the renovation (similar to a construction loan), as long as you have a fixed price building contract. That way you might also get the bank to do a valuation based on the "completed" value of the property.

Profile photo of David AndersonDavid Anderson
    @david-anderson

Do you know what lenders will provide this? Is it common enough procedure? I had planned on project managing the renovation with quotes all obtained prior to commencement is this adequate or it needs to be a builder with a fixed quote?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I have heard NAB may be open to renovation lending.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Not sure where Ductster heard that as NAB are certainly not a lender who will lend without a Fixed Price Contract.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of LHLH
    Participant
    @lh

From my experiences and dealings, you must have fixed price contract as the quotes can always blow out whereas a fixed price contract gives the banks the security of knowing that the job will come in at budget (and hence the lending is safe).

Owner builder jobs will generally only lend to about 60% of finished value (St George Bank is my suggestion of who to approach).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.