All Topics / Finance / LOC for maintainence and repayment surplus

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Profile photo of IntrigueIntrigue
    @intrigue

On a similar chain of thought. 

I am learning that it is a good idea to work hard over the years to pay down my non-deductable debt on my PPOR and pay only interest on my IP.

My question is that if after I have paid off my PPOR (wouldn't that be a great day). What if I decide I would like a new home, a new PPOR. It is unlikely that I would want to sell thus I would keep as an IP but I am wondering am I able to somehow get my money back out of that home to put into a PPOR and thus be able to claim the tax benefits on the home that is now IP?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Nope, once you deposit money into the loan you cannot take it out again without reborrowing.

That is why it is a good idea to use IO on the PPOR and pay all extra into the offset. This way you maintain a high loan but minimise the interest. When you move you take your money out and put it into a new offset attached to the new house.

The only time you shouldn't do this is if you are tempted to spend large amounts of cash sitting in your account.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of David AndersonDavid Anderson
    @david-anderson

Terryw that sounds really interesting what you are saying about the loc for cashflow. I don’t quite understand it 100% though, are you able to give me an example of how it would be used?

Participant
    @terryw

say you have loan on your home and a  loan on your IP. Your IP is rented and you have equity in your home and the ability to service and qualify for a LOC.

What you could do, after careful structuring advice, is this:
    1. Put all rent from the IP into your 100% offset account attached to your home loan.
    2. Pay the interest on the IP loan with money borrowed from the LOC.
    3. pay all other expenses associated with the IP by borrowing from the LOC.

The result is this:
    A. The interest on your home loan rapidly decreases because all rents are going into offset
    B. Cash you would have used to pay rates etc is freed up to go in the offset resulting in even more interest savings on the PPOR loan.
    C. Interest on your IP increases because you are borrowing to pay investment expenses.
    D. C results in increased tax deductions
    E. Get a tax variation so you save tax weekly and this will result in even more interest savings on your PPOR loan.

Then repeat the process. The more investments you own the quicker you can pay off your PPOR.

You must be very careful how this is set up or the ATO could disallow it.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of David AndersonDavid Anderson
    @david-anderson

Is the loc on the ppor or ip? I’m assuming ppor so you could use it for multiple investments? That sounds really good though!

Profile photo of IntrigueIntrigue
    @intrigue

Stupid question. If I have 10,000 sitting in an offsett account for a loan of $300,000 @ 6.54.

How much interest am I saving as a result of having this 10k sit there? Is it as simple as 6.54% of $10k equals my savings each month?

Profile photo of cmasoncmason
    Participant
    @cmason
    Intrigue wrote:
    Stupid question. If I have 10,000 sitting in an offsett account for a loan of $300,000 @ 6.54.

How much interest am I saving as a result of having this 10k sit there? Is it as simple as 6.54% of $10k equals my savings each month?

My understanding would be that your monthly savings would be 1/12 of 6.54% of 10K

Participant
    @terryw
    whatsupsupachicken wrote:
    Is the loc on the ppor or ip? I'm assuming ppor so you could use it for multiple investments? That sounds really good though!

I think it should be on the PPOR if possible, but probably doesn't matter too much.

Email Me

@intrigue
    cmason wrote:
    Intrigue wrote:

My understanding would be that your monthly savings would be 1/12 of 6.54% of 10K

Thanks Cmason. I thought of that error just after pressing post. should have said per year not per month. Not much really is it, $10k saves me $54.50 per month (better than nothing I guess)

@intrigue
    Intrigue wrote:
    On a similar chain of thought. 

I am learning that it is a good idea to work hard over the years to pay down my non-deductable debt on my PPOR and pay only interest on my IP.

My question is that if after I have paid off my PPOR (wouldn't that be a great day). What if I decide I would like a new home, a new PPOR. It is unlikely that I would want to sell thus I would keep as an IP but I am wondering am I able to somehow get my money back out of that home to put into a PPOR and thus be able to claim the tax benefits on the home that is now IP?

Your a good many Terry, When you say that you "cant get money back out of PPOR without reborrowing" do you mean that I could refinance my PPOR. I.e. I want a new loan on this house as it is to be an investment property take 80% of the value out and use it to purchase a new PPOR.. Is this an equity loan?

I understand you are saying offsett is better and I am heading this way I just want to get an understanding of all the options pro's and cons. My heart tells me to pay off the PPOR asap, nice security. My head is saying this may not a smart decision although it likes the security too.. dont want to get too far down the road and realise I have trapped myself.

Participant
    @terryw

Tax deductibility depends on the purpose the borrowed funds are used for. Taking money from a loan account = borrowings.

So if you refinance the interest will only be deductible if the money is used for investments. If you set up a LOC to 80% of the value but deductibility will depend on what the money is used for.

If your loan starts off at say $300,000 and you pay it down to $100,000 and then decide to move out so refinance it to $300,000 again, the interest on the extra $200,000 will only be deductible if these funds are used for investments.

Whereas, if you had a $300,000 IO loan and put $200,000 in a 100% offset you will be paying the same interest but without the problems as if you remove the $200,000 from the offset the loan hasn't changed and the interest on the whole $300,000 will be deductible if the funds were used to purchase the house originally and the house changes to an investment property.

Email Me

@intrigue

Thanks for clearing that up for me.. I need to make some changes!

Profile photo of Greg ReidGreg Reid
    @greg-reid

It is frustrating to me that mortgage brokers continue to recommend using the same lender for your first IP as your PPOR . Often using the old red herring of avoiding LMI. These are often old bankers who were brought up to do exactly that. The real reason is that lenders now have security over 2 properties with an end LVR of 50% or less instead of 80%.

I have a number of clients who have come to me with multiple IP's all with one lender, either on the banks 'advice' or a mortgage broker. Often mortgage brokers only use 1 or 2 lenders, they have come from that bank, know their policies and just put people into their products, sometimes because it is easier, sometimes because of commission.

For a person wanting to build a property portfolio, it is time consuming and often costly to extract from. I do it one IP at a time and go through the hassle of refinancing, multiple valuation issues, funds kept because of the cross guarantees etc.

Terry is spot on above in terms of financing strategy, do it smart, use the system, reduce non deductible costs as soon as possible, minimise cash outflow. You need to make sure you have the other risk minimisation strategies in place as well, a health safety net, income protection, trauma insurance etc.

At the end of the day, wealth is assets less liabilities. The timing to increase one or decrease the other depends on where you are at in your investing cycle. It is difficult to do both early in, far better to concentrate increasing assets than trying to reduce liabilities. At the later end of your investing cycle, then you focus on reducing debt.
    Good luck
    Greg

Profile photo of newday7newday7
    @newday7
    Terryw wrote:
    say you have loan on your home and a  loan on your IP. Your IP is rented and you have equity in your home and the ability to service and qualify for a LOC.

What you could do, after careful structuring advice, is this:
    1. Put all rent from the IP into your 100% offset account attached to your home loan.
    2. Pay the interest on the IP loan with money borrowed from the LOC.
    3. pay all other expenses associated with the IP by borrowing from the LOC.

The result is this:
    A. The interest on your home loan rapidly decreases because all rents are going into offset
    B. Cash you would have used to pay rates etc is freed up to go in the offset resulting in even more interest savings on the PPOR loan.
    C. Interest on your IP increases because you are borrowing to pay investment expenses.
    D. C results in increased tax deductions
    E. Get a tax variation so you save tax weekly and this will result in even more interest savings on your PPOR loan.

Then repeat the process. The more investments you own the quicker you can pay off your PPOR.

You must be very careful how this is set up or the ATO could disallow it.

Hi Terry,

I've just had this similar structure setup recently. I didn't think to borrow from my LOC to pay the IP loan interest until I read this forum and the api mag this month. I was just going to pay the IP loan interest from my offset account. By paying the IP loan interest from LOC is definitely going to speed things up with clearing non-deductible interest. 

So my question is, when would I then start to reduce the loan in my LOC seeing that it will slowly rise & I pay only the minimum or IO? When I have finished paying off my PPOR? Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
    newday7 

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Newday

good work,

Talk to your tax advisor about your situation. It may be possible to leave it until your ppor is fully paid off – but this will also depend on limits to LOCs and products too.

Email Me

Profile photo of newday7newday7
    @newday7

Thanks Terry. Will do.

newday7

Profile photo of sfrodgerssfrodgers
    @sfrodgers

The biggest trap with LOC is that people use them for investment purposes and use them to pay personal expenses. A LOC should be set up to have all your rent paid into that account and then all your IP's outgoings  paid from that account. No personal expense should be paid from the LOC because the tax department will crucify you.

Participant
    @terryw
    sfrodgers wrote:
    The biggest trap with LOC is that people use them for investment purposes and use them to pay personal expenses. A LOC should be set up to have all your rent paid into that account and then all your IP's outgoings  paid from that account. No personal expense should be paid from the LOC because the tax department will crucify you.

I almost agree – I would not suggest you pay the rent into the LOC, but to put the rent into the 100% offset account/Home loan (non deductible – to save non-deductible interest.

Email Me

Profile photo of hegatehegate
    @hegate

if you didnt have a PPOR and were renting and had 2 IPs could you do this type of thing, ie. put all rental income into one offset account against a negitive geared property, to reduce the depb quickly to make it positive?

Participant
    @terryw
    hegate wrote:
    if you didnt have a PPOR and were renting and had 2 IPs could you do this type of thing, ie. put all rental income into one offset account against a negitive geared property, to reduce the depb quickly to make it positive?

Yep.
    You have got to put your cash somewhere so you may as well be saving money by using an offset on the investment property. If you had a non deductible loan then you would want to have the offset on this loan, but if you don't then an investment loan is the next best thing.,

Email Me

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.