All Topics / Help Needed! / Home Loans – Whose Best? – Big Banks? Or Building Societies/Credit Unions????

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of propertymistropropertymistro
    @propertymistro

Hi all,

Great Forum! For a home loan, is it generally better to go with one of the big banks or with a building society/credit union?  Also, who generally are the most leanient lenders, in terms of the amount they will lend – big banks or building societies/big banks?

Thanks in advance…

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

Major 4 or one of the banks they own (St George / Bankwest). I can’t think of a good reason to use a non bank unless there was a problem getting it approved with a bank. Stay away from mortgage managers and anyone with high DEF (deferred establishment fees).

In the current market the banks are usually more flexible than other lenders and their rates are competive (bar Westpac). In terms of leanience I will start and CBA and end at NAB – ANZ / Westpac both somewhere in the middle.

NAB are by far the smallest in the housing market out of the banks. Their loan book is under 50% of CBA (NAB is the biggest for business banking). NAB have sent some doc prep and application processing offshore where CBA bankers can approve a loan on the spot and print your contracts at first appointment (assuming you have contract of sale etc). With this in mid CBA have the quickest turnaround – NAB the slowest.

I’m sure some people would disagree. I still get plenty of deals through CBA that get knocked back by other majors. At the end of the day the most important thing is the banker or broker you use.

A good banker / broker might turn around a deal in a week. A bad broker will take 2 months : – long delays almost always relate to your contact person rather than the actual bank.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I agree. Wouldn't even consider the mortgage managers because of the fact that all of their loans are mortgage insured.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of hschmidhschmid
    Participant
    @hschmid

watch out for rate hikes ‘independent’ of the reserve from the majors after the elections

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

And Hans you dont think the non bank lenders / mortgage managers wont be increasing their rates ?

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @hschmid

I think they will also. I think they all will.

Participant
    @banker

Hans,

Is brokersite an actual franchise?

Participant
    @hschmid

No we recruit and induct new brokers.

Our latest partnership is with Mortgage House who are looking for Brand Partners.

No franchise fees and no joining fees

http://www.brokersite.com.au/mortgage_house.htm

There is a video explanation on this link.

If you are a banker exploring your options, this may suit.

Profile photo of PC_MelbournePC_Melbourne
    @pc_melbourne
    propertymistro wrote:
    Hi all,

Great Forum! For a home loan, is it generally better to go with one of the big banks or with a building society/credit union?  Also, who generally are the most leanient lenders, in terms of the amount they will lend – big banks or building societies/big banks?

Thanks in advance…

We have found pro’s and con’s with both – Banks vs non Banks.
    We have found that the banks were the least lenient most conservative when it came to the lending amount (valuations, paperwork etc)
    However they have a better banking structure for accounts. Offsets, pulling money out, internet banking, ATM’s etc. Across our portfolio we have accounts with CBA, St George & ANZ.

We found that non banks were the most flexible when it came to valuations and lending amount, but they have no banking facility for ease of day to day transactions.

Solution for us. = Get the initial loan with big 4 banks. Work the IP until it stabilizes to a point of bordum and predictability.
    Then shop around to other banks inclusive of non banks for the best valuation and increase in lending in the overall investment strategy.
    (I doubt this is real, but I always got the sense that non banks on refinance work harder because they know what we went through to get laons off the big 4, therefore feel more comfortable refinancing us. this may be false of course, but the service was great in the refinance conversation)

Profile photo of Greg ReidGreg Reid
    @greg-reid

If you are a long term buy and hold investor, then the DEF issue is not a factor.

My view is that you use a lender that will lend you the funds for the property you want to buy and if you are building a protfolio, you use lenders in the order of lowest borrowing capacity first. How quickly you need finance and settlement needs to be considered as well.

Each lender has their own servicing calculators as they have different assessment rates, different living expenses, different treatment of rental income, negative gearing, assessment of other loan repayments etc. If you get the order wrong, you may well find yourself stuck and not be able to obtain finance for the next IP.

Take care of using a broker that only uses 1 to 3 lenders, many say they have access to a panel of 30 or so but if they only use up to 3 of these, they are not offering a choice or giving you the service you need. I know of some brokers that ever only use 1 lender.

While there are a couple of building societies that use the broker channel, most don't. They seem to target more home owners and want to give you the full service suite of products, some insisting you have a transaction account, salary debit etc.

Generally for an investor who already has their PPOR loan set up correctly with offset etc, an IP loan needs just to be an IO very simple loan with internet access and that all. I don't have an issue with reputable mortgage managers, some are very good.
    Good luck
    Greg

Participant
    @banker

There are a few things people don’t understand about a good banking relationship.

The reality is all bank staff at westpac, ANZ, CBA and NAB are getting the importance of being a customers main financial institution drilled in to them. As financial markets are tightening the banks are looking to gain more revenue from each client ( without the need of throwing more money out the door). To the extreme of this is the business banking sector where Westpac and NAB will happily decline a deal if they don’t have the customers main trading accounts. Lending to a client with no other products is often now referred to as a dry lend. Banks are trying as hard as possible to move away from dry lending…

A recent example of this for me was a bank declining a 0.7% discount for a 550k loan (55%LVR) and the same day approving a 0.7% discount for a loan of 275k (77% LVR). The 275k has house insurance, life insurance, bank accounts etc all with the bank. The 550k was a dry lend. I argued the 550k client 10 years in current employment and strong servicing but they would not budge.

When you talk about flexibility; if you have mulitple products and a long history with the banks they will bend over backwards to keep you.

Examples i’ve seen so far this year include;

Loans approved as full doc without financials
    loans turned around from application to settlement in 48 hours
    investment loans unit trust (at retail rates)
    unsecured personal overdrafts (keep a deal within 80%)
    loans approve with servicing shortfall
    credit suggesting rate discounts to get servicing over the line

Split banking will only help you if you’re not disclosing your debts to other lenders. It will prevent you from getting concessions re policy and pricing and also make it harder (and expensive) to access equity accross your portfolio ( you need to apply to all your lenders).

For all the brokers out their their claiming in industry magazines and sites like brokernews.com.au that banks favour direct deals over broker deals: you almost right. The problem is that most broker deals are dry lends.

Profile photo of thomsonthomson
    @thomson

Spot on there Banker, at least from my personal experience. 

I have everything with one of the big4 and they really seem to be offering me excellent unsecured credit, high LVR as well as good customer service.

thommo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.