All Topics / Legal & Accounting / 6 year CGT rule

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of pwinnepwinne
    @pwinne

Hi all,

I purchased a PPOR which settled in March 2003 – I moved in that day,

In January 2004 I moved to a new place, as a renter, shared with a friend who owned the home. This friend became my wife later (I only mention that in case its pertinent)

Anyway, I rented out my old home a few months after I moved out. I did not have a new PPOR in my name until November 2007, which is where I live now (I did buy other IPs in between 2004 and 2007, but did not live in them).

If I sold my old PPOR now – what happens with CGT?

Is CGT only payable from when I moved into my new PPOR in November 2007?

Example

Value of old PPOR November 2007 500k,
    Value of old PPOR July 2010 580k

is CGT then 80k, (or 40K with the 50% CGT discount applied??)

Or do I have it totally wrong?

Cheers in advance..

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

What has happened with your wife's house you moved into?  If this has been sold and your wife has claimed the PPOR exemption, then your POR exemption will only be until you moved in.  If it has not been sold then you and your wife need to look at whether half the PPOR exemption should go to both houses or the whole to one house.

The second issue is that your original PPOR needs to be valued at the date you moved out rather than the date you got another PPOR in 2007.

Profile photo of pwinnepwinne
    @pwinne
    crj wrote:
    What has happened with your wife's house you moved into?  If this has been sold and your wife has claimed the PPOR exemption, then your POR exemption will only be until you moved in.  If it has not been sold then you and your wife need to look at whether half the PPOR exemption should go to both houses or the whole to one house.

The second issue is that your original PPOR needs to be valued at the date you moved out rather than the date you got another PPOR in 2007.

Hi,

It was sold in early 2008. We didnt, or havent claimed any exemption.

I was hoping that MY old PPOR was considered as such until I moved to the house we are in now, in November 2007.

Valuation may be an issue…? I dont think I have one for that specific date frame.

Cheers

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj
    pwinne wrote:

I was hoping that MY old PPOR was considered as such until I moved to the house we are in now, in November 2007.

Valuation may be an issue…? I dont think I have one for that specific date frame.

Cheers

Unless your wife has shown a capital gain on her house in her 2008 tax return, then effectively the exemption has been claimed. and your current PPOR that you moved into in 2007 will not be exempt either from the period to the date of the contract of the sale of the house in 2008.

@pwinne
    crj wrote:
    pwinne wrote:

Cheers

Unless your wife has shown a capital gain on her house in her 2008 tax return, then effectively the exemption has been claimed. and your current PPOR that you moved into in 2007 will not be exempt either from the period to the date of the contract of the sale of the house in 2008.

so none of the below applies??

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/NAT4151_07.pdf

page 74

"Home ceases to be the main residence and is used
    to produce income for one period of six years

Lisa bought a house after 20 September 1985, but
    stopped using it as her main residence for the 10 years
    immediately before she sold it. During this period, she
    rented it out for six years and left it vacant for four years.
    Lisa chooses to treat the dwelling as her main
    residence for the period after she stopped living in
    it, so she disregards any capital gain or capital loss
    she makes on the sale of the dwelling. The maximum
    period the dwelling can continue to be her main
    residence while she used it to produce income is six
    years. However, while the house is vacant, the period
    is unlimited, which means the exemption applies for
    the whole 10 years.
    In addition to this, as the dwelling is fully exempt because
    Lisa made this choice, the home first used to produce
    income rule does not apply"

@pwinne

I'm confused… sorry :)

As far as the tax department is concerned my old home can be declared as PPOR, until I sell it, which I'm doing (correct me if I am wrong)

I'd planned to declare the capital gain from November 2007 – August 2010, which may be 100k (or 50k if the 50% CGT discount is applied); and stating that my

Just out of interest does the ATO has some consideration for couples regardless of the 'actual' ownership situation..??

None of these houses have my wifes name on the title – my wifes house did not have me on title.

cheers

@pwinne

i should add my wife hasnt done a tax return in 8 years… no PAYG income..

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I am watching TV while reading this, so cannot concentrate enough to digest it all.

But basically I couple can only have one main residence between them. Couple includes married and defacto.

You can claim the main residence exemption from the date you move out of your main residence until it was sold, for up to 6 yrs, as long as you do not claim any other residence as you main residence at the same time. see s 118-145 ITAA 1936.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@pwinne

hmmm, thx Terry.

I have a dilemma, time to hit up my accountant. thx for all the responses.

cheers

@pwinne

Terry,

So If I acquired a new property in November 2007, I assumed that the old place ceased to be my main residence.

I also assume that the CGT is based on the value igrowth between November 2007 and Ausgust 2010.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You can still class a place as your main residence, even if absent. s118-145 ITAA
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/itaa1997240/s118.145.html

so depending on your circumstances you could class the old one as your main residence and sell it and pay no CGT. But if you did this your new one wouldn't be exempt.

See also s118-185 ITAA for the method to calculate the partial exemption.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/itaa1997240/s118.185.html

and under s118-190 your cost base of the property is set to the value the date you moved out.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/itaa1997240/s118.190.html

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

This si quite common to have one PPOR which you are not living in.  In my situation we moved out of our PPOR 18 months ago, and have bought another house we live in which we are not intending to claim as our PPOR because ultimately we want to move back, on the other hand we want to be able to put pictures up, and do things with the yard here without having to get permission from a landlord

@pwinne

thx gents for your responses.

I need to talk to my accountant.

cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.