All Topics / Help Needed! / Interest Only Loans versus Principle + Intterest Loans?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of propertymistropropertymistro
    @propertymistro

What are the advantages and disadvantges of each style of loan…including tax implications. Thanks for any help…

Profile photo of number 8number 8
    Participant
    @number-8

The tax implications would be that while you pay down a debt you reduce your ability for a tax deduction. This argument is raised often, but I can still see no reason to pay down a debt when you have the ability to use an offset account:

Reasons for i/o include:

1. Keeping the full/initial drawdown amount in tact. (A Better tax deduction is available if you make your PPOR an investment property)
    2. Extra monies to invest in further acquisitions. (creating wealth is about  both cashflow and assets)
    3. Increases your available equity without a refinance (you will not require car finance etc)
    4. Increases your buffer if you become unemployed or like (it decreases risk).
    5.Your money made in property is not from what you pay down but how the asset grows in value, the more assets you own the wealthier you will become, this is based on past performance.

There is no smoke and mirrors above, I have experienced this first hand. I live in a house with no mortgage yet I have never made principal payments in my life. How? Buying using the money other people are using for the principle payments and placing it into an investment property(s). My home ownership was acheived at 33 years of age.

http://www.birchcorp.com.au

Profile photo of SandraLSandraL
    @sandral

Interest Only loans give you more flexibility. A lot of people don't understand this, but you can pay down the principal on a  I/O loan just as easily as on a Principal + Interest loan, but you don't have to, that is the big difference. If you have spare cash, you can make extra repayments, but it is entirely up to you. Whereas on a Principal + Interest loan, it is the bank who tells you how much of the principal you have to repay each month. That's why it's more flexible.

Sandra
    Landlordschoice

Property leasing and selling solutions for the DIY landlord!

Profile photo of -Pleiades--Pleiades-
    Participant
    @-pleiades-

OP, I'm glad you've asked this, I was going to ask the same thing as I'm confused on the benefits of a interest only loan.

Number 8, in regards to point 5 in your post you say "Your money made in property is not from what you pay down but how the asset grows in value, the more assets you own the wealthier you will become, this is based on past performance." Which makes sense to me but my train of thought is if you put just that little bit extra a week into your mortgage in a P&I loan and get the pricipal down then when/if you sell instead of having to take say $200,000 out of the sale to pay back the original principal you don't have to as you've paid it down/off?

Also, what about the fact that the property is never yours? So say at the end of the loan term you've paid off the interest, you either have to sell to pay off the original principal amount or find a spare $200,000 laying around to pay it off. Please correct me if I'm wrong with my thinking here.

I hope this makes sense? I'm fairly new to property investing and still trying to get my head around it!

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

I/O loans give you more cashflow early on as you don’t have to pay off the principle too. It can mean the difference between a property being positively cash flowed and negatively cash flowed.
    I/O loans allow you to purchase more property quicker if the only thing holding you back is the monthly cash flow you can afford.

If someone else is paying for the interest (the renters in a CF+ property) then there is not really a need to pay it off. By paying it off you are only saving 7-8% on your money. Instead you can take that money, invest in more property and get much better returns

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @number-8
    -Pleiades- wrote:
    OP, I'm glad you've asked this, I was going to ask the same thing as I'm confused on the benefits of a interest only loan.

Number 8, in regards to point 5 in your post you say "Your money made in property is not from what you pay down but how the asset grows in value, the more assets you own the wealthier you will become, this is based on past performance." Which makes sense to me but my train of thought is if you put just that little bit extra a week into your mortgage in a P&I loan and get the pricipal down then when/if you sell instead of having to take say $200,000 out of the sale to pay back the original principal you don't have to as you've paid it down/off?

Also, what about the fact that the property is never yours? So say at the end of the loan term you've paid off the interest, you either have to sell to pay off the original principal amount or find a spare $200,000 laying around to pay it off. Please correct me if I'm wrong with my thinking here.

I hope this makes sense? I'm fairly new to property investing and still trying to get my head around it!

The opportunity cost to paying down your debt, is the money may be used to invest in another property. When you do the math on paying down debt vs purchasing another property with the extra cash, you will see a very large difference in favour of not paying down debt.

I owned my PPOR at 33, yet have never paid an any repayments in my life (excluding i/o). This was from re-directing excess cash into other investments.

Re: Paying off a home…… This is of no concern?

e.g. I purchased a property in 1997 for $169,000, the value today is approximately $400,000. the price in twenty years will be $1,500,000 (estimate). Now, the sale price less the borrowed amount is either $1.5M or $1.331M. The difference is marginal for the opportunity cost of another property purchase.

This is one of the key concepts to wealth creation. It is a common mis-conception amongst all Australians to pay down debt. This has been a myth passed down by our parents. It encourages us to work very hard to pay a debt down in 20-30 years. Yet it may be done much quicker, and faster through innovative thinking.

Profile photo of Johnwilly1000Johnwilly1000
    Participant
    @johnwilly1000

Hi I’m investor too I pay principle and interest. Ur data on 160k and value today 400k. Is good but where I live it wud have been 80k and now 400k. The reason for this is a major boom in 2001-3. Which I feel will hardley ever happen again for long time. Regardless I pay this way cause I like to live also and enjoy a bitwhile at same time pay off house. Whereas if I pay interest only then if I put into offset sccount I know ill dig into it.

Participant
    @number-8

And that my friend, is the difference between retiring at 33 and 63. As much as I try, I cannot help everyone.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Prefer P&I and offset account :)

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I have been a big fan of IO loans for a long time but you should also consider your psychology. Some people just can't help themselves and will spend every last cent of spare cash lying around – for these sorts of people a PI loan may be better in the end.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

What happen if you have so much cash flow and prefer not to expand aggresively?
    I guess than pay down the principal does make sense

Profile photo of -Pleiades--Pleiades-
    Participant
    @-pleiades-

It’s all starting to make a bit more sense now :)

Going with what Sandra said how you can make extra principal payments in an IO loan, if I were to do that can the extra payments be redrawn upon? So putting in extra payments when possible to reduce the interest being paid then when funds are needed redraw on the loan or would an offset account be better for this train of thought?

What I’m still iffy about is that say we’re in a perfect world and interest will ways be at 8% (for arguments sake) so with a P&I the interest being calculated will reduce as the principle reduces. With an IO loan the interest beig calculated always stay the same becAuse the principle never changes so even though you may be saving money in the short term won’t it cancel itself out in the long term because the principle isn’t being reduced and interest being calculated will always be on the original amount?

Participant
    @terryw

An offset account would be better as there are tax consequences to redrawing money.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

Another idea behind IO is that you use less money per money which means you can afford more investments.

Email Me

Profile photo of chappy1970chappy1970
    Participant
    @chappy1970
    SandraL wrote:
    Interest Only loans give you more flexibility. A lot of people don't understand this, but you can pay down the principal on a  I/O loan just as easily as on a Principal + Interest loan, but you don't have to, that is the big difference. If you have spare cash, you can make extra repayments, but it is entirely up to you. Whereas on a Principal + Interest loan, it is the bank who tells you how much of the principal you have to repay each month. That's why it's more flexible.

Sandra
    Landlordschoice

Property leasing and selling solutions for the DIY landlord!

Sandra,
    Thank you for this post. It has explained a lot about my investment advisors suggestion around changing my PI loan to IO. My wife and I are in the process of trying to secure our first investment property. We made a smart decision 13 years ago on a property in Melbourne (our PPOR) and now have significant equity in it.

My wife is quite conservative financially, so having the flexibility to pay the IO amount as well as paying down the principle will give her piece of mind.

Thanks
    Chris 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.