All Topics / Help Needed! / Can this really be Done???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi Guys,
    In the last few weeks my Fiance and I have both come to the conclusion that we would both like to work for our selves.
    I am 26 and Gaby my partner is 25.
    Our finical situation is as follows:

1) Our Own Home we only own 105k
    2) We have an IP where we only own 215k and its worth 320k. It is rented out for 280 per week.
    3) 10k In Savings

We would like to do the following and hopefully have a career in this feild within the next three years or so
    – Work only 3 or 4 days a week oopose to 6 days a week in real estate
    – Buy – Renovate – Sell
    – Buy homes and good prices rent them out for a bit and then sell
    – Hold Homes and Sell after a few years
    – Buy homes on good allotments Build units and sell them later.

Has any one on this forum been able to have a life style like this????
    Another idea would be to run a small business such a a tatts Lotto outlet etc for extra cash while to run this projects.

thanks guys

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Johann

We did use any of the stataegies you mentioned but we did commence a part time, vendor finance business in 2003.  My wife Karen work it full time and I ended up keeping my job until early last year.  We could have doen it fatster but the end result has been great, i.e. we both now work in our business full time and love it.

Radical changes can make big holes in your cash flow.  Maybe work into it, like we did.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of prusliprusli
    @prusli

Hi Johann,

What strategy to take depends on the % of your return, that is your profit divided by your capital & costs for the project.  Renovation or development is more active strategy and requires a lot more time commitment.

For buy and hold strategy you can estimate the potential growth in your area and divided that with the equity in the property to get your estimated return.  Buy and hold is only good until you find something else that can give better return.  All the best.

Profile photo of pinkboypinkboy
    Participant
    @pinkboy

Working for yourself is extremely rewarding.  My wife and I are your age, though we have run our own buisness for the past 4 years.  I started completly from scratch and had to work from the ground up.  I wouldnt say we are on cloud 9, but probably at cruising altitude.  I would suggest though having something to fall back on, or gradually work into  your own business by just 1 person working in it to start with, jsut so you have some stability in your income from the other.  I say this as we were in the deep end from the start, but we managed and now we get far better income.

We see PI as a sideline to our lives, though I do have many aspirations to own a few more properties in the next few years.  We have bought new properties, renovated old properties, bought off the plan, and currently building our new PPOR.  Our current house will become a IP, as we will just buy and hold for now.

Good luck with it all!

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Working for yourself is definately rewarding. I love working for myself. If you are smart it can also offer you a lot of freedom. I work about 2 days per week most weeks.

One thing to be careful of. I was confused whether your business was in real estate or whether you were starting your own business and then investing in real estate on the side. I have found that banks look more favourably on businesses after they are 2 years old or more. Brand new businesses can make it a little more difficult to get a loan…not impossible….but a bit harder. Just something to be aware of.

A piece of advice. Keep learning about real estate. If you want to make this a full time gig then you need to know as much as you can. Go to seminars, read books, study up. Because the more you learn the more you can earn

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow
    PaulDobson wrote:
    Hi Johann

We did use any of the stataegies you mentioned but we did commence a part time, vendor finance business in 2003.  My wife Karen work it full time and I ended up keeping my job until early last year.  We could have doen it fatster but the end result has been great, i.e. we both now work in our business full time and love it.

Radical changes can make big holes in your cash flow.  Maybe work into it, like we did.

Cheers,  Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for information. Are you and Karen based in Melbourne if so it would be great to catch up?
    My partner and I are looking at doing a few things within the real estate industry. I currently work in real estate as a sales consultant and my partner works as a Drafter.
    We where looking at doing Vendor Financing – Developing – Renovating and other projects while working Part time as well for cash flow.
    Thanks for the Information

Cheers Johann Psaila
    0451 – 001 – 457

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jpcashflow
    pinkboy wrote:

Working for yourself is extremely rewarding.  My wife and I are your age, though we have run our own buisness for the past 4 years.  I started completly from scratch and had to work from the ground up.  I wouldnt say we are on cloud 9, but probably at cruising altitude.  I would suggest though having something to fall back on, or gradually work into  your own business by just 1 person working in it to start with, jsut so you have some stability in your income from the other.  I say this as we were in the deep end from the start, but we managed and now we get far better income.

We see PI as a sideline to our lives, though I do have many aspirations to own a few more properties in the next few years.  We have bought new properties, renovated old properties, bought off the plan, and currently building our new PPOR.  Our current house will become a IP, as we will just buy and hold for now.

Good luck with it all!

Hi,
    Thanks for the Message. What business are you running? I think we will start running the business part time and then evenutally run into full time  i guess as well.

thanks mate

Johann Psaila

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jpcashflow
    ryan mclean wrote:
    Working for yourself is definately rewarding. I love working for myself. If you are smart it can also offer you a lot of freedom. I work about 2 days per week most weeks. One thing to be careful of. I was confused whether your business was in real estate or whether you were starting your own business and then investing in real estate on the side. I have found that banks look more favourably on businesses after they are 2 years old or more. Brand new businesses can make it a little more difficult to get a loan…not impossible….but a bit harder. Just something to be aware of. A piece of advice. Keep learning about real estate. If you want to make this a full time gig then you need to know as much as you can. Go to seminars, read books, study up. Because the more you learn the more you can earn

Hi Ryan,
    Thanks for that… Becasue i work in the real estate industry and my partner is a drafter we would more or less start the business and projects on a part time basis at the start. What type of business are you running?
    Are you based in melbourne?

Cheers Johann 0451 001 457

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @ryan-mclean

I run a myriad of online businesses. My most successful being cashflowinvestor. It’s a property finding service.

What type of business are you thinking of running? Starting part time is a good idea as there is less risk. That is what I did

Email Me

Participant
    @jpcashflow
    ryan mclean wrote:
    I run a myriad of online businesses. My most successful being cashflowinvestor. It's a property finding service. What type of business are you thinking of running? Starting part time is a good idea as there is less risk. That is what I did

I have a few different ideas: on the cards just to need really sit down and commit.
    are you based in Melbourne Ryan?

Cheers

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @ryan-mclean

No I am based in Sydney

Email Me

Profile photo of pinkboypinkboy
    Participant
    @pinkboy

I own and manage a protective coatings business.  Our bread and butter work is abrasive blasting and painting, but we also work in a couple of niche areas like industrial tiling, polyurethane spraying (Rhino Linings Industrial Dealer), scaffolding, epoxy flooring, and other protective coatings, plus we do small amounts of fitting and boilermaking.  We do both site work, and I have 3 sets of sheds (all in the same street would you believe) where we have an abrasive blast booth, paint booth, tiling sheds, office and storage

Its actually getting to be a medium scale operation, and is very much family run.  My wife is the Workshop Leading hand, My brother heads the Abrasive Blasting Division, my sister in law is the Financial Controller and I have 2 Site Supervisors, plus 6 full timers and a dozen casuals.  I oversee the whole operation, do all the estimation and organisation of jobs.  We are very busy, all of the time.  We have some very good blue chip clients; Xstrata, Sedgman, Macarthur Coal; Thiess; DBCT, Multotec Australia and many good ongoing contracts with engineering companies.

It keeps us busy!  Hard at the start, but we have the finger on the pulse now.  I try not to work these days too much, but I still do the odd day here and there where needed, and still dont mind doing the hard yards (jackhammering old industrial tiles off, scaffolding and polyspraying are jobs only for the hardcore!).

Ive joined this forum pretty much because I need some type of outlet.  Over the past 4 years I have become so obsessed with my business, that many of my (neglected) friends have moved on and I need to talk to like minded people about things I am interested in – like PI!!! 

Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Well welcome pinkboy. I also use this forum as an outlet. Even though most of my friends are finance minded most of them don’t want to talk about property or aren’t really doing anything in property. It is nice to find some like minded people I can chat to.
    I also love seeing all the questions and problems people have. Things I didn’t even think about. Helps me learn and keeps me sharp.

Email Me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.