All Topics / Overseas Deals / Investing in Japan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of japanscholarjapanscholar
    @japanscholar

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and to real estate investing so I hope I am not asking a question which has been asked may times before.

I am an American, married to a Japanese woman, and we live and work in Japan. If I was living in the states I would probably start investing by buying a single family home near me and renting it out, but I am not sure this strategy is possible in Japan. Basically, structures lose value very quickly in Japan. One estimate I heard, from a Japanese friend, is that a house holds no value after 10 years. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with investing in Japan and could tell me how to begin investing in this market – or if it is even worth doing.

Thank you,

Daniel

Profile photo of djjkdjjk
    Participant
    @djjk

A friend of mine had the foresight to purchase a condo in Niseko (ski resort on Hokkaido) about 5 years ago.  It has increased in Yen terms (ignoring currency fluctuations) about 100% in time he has owned it.  Obviously ski resorts in an area that is increasingly more popular to foreigners is a sub market that might be seperate from the remainder of the country but thats just his experience.  

Refer here for more info… 
    http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Asia/Japan/Price-History

I find it very hard to believe that structures (if of a reasonable quality) lose their value after a few years…

Josh

Profile photo of japanscholarjapanscholar
    @japanscholar

Thanks for the info. I have definitely seen some people make money on properties here, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. When I tell my Japanese friends that houses appreciate in other parts of the world they just can believe it. The only experience they have had with that was during the bubble and even then, I believe it was the land that held the value not the structure. I have heard a couple of reasons for this. One is that Japan is an earthquake prone country where structures have to be constantly re-built to ensure their safety and the other reason is that Japanese, being Buddhist, do not like the idea of inheriting the previous persons karma. In addition, because of the high cost of land, most individuals do not own the land and simply rent the land and own their house.

I teach English for large companies here, and it is amazing to find that many of the workers own houses in other parts of the country but have been transfered for work, and because they would lose their money if they sold, they simply keep the house and rent close to work. Often, the family remain in the house and the husband lives far away. It is the strangest real estate situation I have ever seen, but I am sure there is some way to profit from it.

Daniel

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I have a property in Japan in Osaka. It is true that properties lose value there – it is like buying a new car. As soon as you live in it the value drops. The construction there does not seem to be duriable either. Also, generally, prices have been declining since 1990. A few years ago there was news that prices had risen by 0.10%. Not sure if this trend has continued or not.

I think the yields can be very high there, but it will be difficult for you to borrow. Even for a Japanese citizen or permanent resident it is not easy to borrow for an investment property. I personally would only stick to Australia to invest in property.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.