All Topics / Help Needed! / Best way to use $500K cash – please help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of KCVardsKCVards
    @kcvards

Hi,
    My parents will be selling a house shortly, that was their home, but they have since bought another.  They will have at least $500K cash when they sell this house, so they would like obviously increase it.
    They are not working, so getting bank loans would not be an option.

I was thinking they could look for property to sub-divide and build on, seeing as they have the cash.  Would this be the best way to make money to increase what they have?
    We could also buy places, renovate & sell on, but the fees are so huge i'm not too sure of the best way to do it all.
    I have a keen interest in the property market & would be interested in renovating (am about to finish renovating my 2nd place) & helping them however i can.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!  We are in Adelaide, so anyone who has any contacts would also be helpful!!

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi.  We are in Adelaide also.

If it was me I would look at corner block (or two street frontage, hammerhead) properties that meet the requirements of the local council to cut a courtyard block from.  You can do this in either expensive or cheaper areas.  I notice people are even doing it in Elizabeth as the north has projected growth.  An example of one we were interested in last year was a 60's cream brick house in Kingston Park that had a 1000+ squ. metre block with two street frontages.  It sold around the $600,000+ mark.  The new owners subdivided off the vacant street frontage of 500 squ. and recently sold it for $450,000 +.  The house could have been updated or sold for the same as the land.  At the lower end of the scale, a modern 2 bedroom house on a large corner block in Aldinga Beach was on the market for around $250,000 recently.  You could have resold the house for possibly $220-230,000 on the smaller block, and also had a courtyard block to sell for about $130-$140.  Quite a lot of us are looking for these, but they are around.  Obviously tax is payable in the form of capital gains, etc. but you may be able to build up a property portfolio this way.  Alternatively, some people prefer to keep them until the prices rise, then subdivide.

Regards,
    G

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

They need to consider various other issues too such as asset protection – it is potentially dangerous to have a lot of assets. They should also consider taxation, centrelink and estate planning issues.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of jared Ellisonjared Ellison
    @jared-ellison

hi im actually looking for someone to do a joint venture with atm, ive found a property which on the outside looks beutifull but inside its a dump that i could easily turn around with a bit of effort, (im a painter by trade so i plan to do most of the work myself) i plan to fix it up and on sell, but i would rather borrow money from a private investor because we can both get a better deal out of it. depending on what they wanted to do we could arrange a contract where  they recieve a return of the profits or a set return after 12 – 24 months or so

Ideally i would like to borrow around $200,000 in cash on the condition that after 12 – 24 months they get their $200,000 back plus interest at at an agreed rate, say 7 – 8% this would just make it so much easier to complete the project and not get tied up with banks.
    Alternatively if they agree to fund the project and i do all the work we can split the profits at an agreed ratio once completed

if they were interested they can contact me on 0427 705 605 or [email protected]

cheers, Jared Ellison

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.