All Topics / Legal & Accounting / What to trust?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of awtmawtm
    Participant
    @awtm

Hi

I'm about to start investing in property with my brother using the equity in a house we both recently inherited.
    We've been looking into setting up a family trust with a company as trustee.

What I'd really like is for anybody who knows about this to tell me why we shouldn't be doing it? (i.e. all the "cons")
    At what stage of property investing we should start using trusts? Right now at day one, or later on.
    And lastly what sort of costs should we be expecting, upfront and ongoing?

many thanks in advance

Anthony

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It depends on your situation and which state you will buy in.

Some reasons NOT to use a trust:
    – In NSW you may end up paying more land tax with a trust.
    – Losses of a trust are not able to be distributed so if your trust negative gears it may have a loss which you can't offset. If you purchased in your own names this may have saved you a bit of tax.
    – Higher running costs. Tax return would be needed for the company as well as the trust. The accountant may charge a fee for the company to register at his address and there will be annual ASIC fees of $212 for the company.
    – Complexity. You may find it harder to get your head around things when talking about tax and trusts
    – Legal issues. There are complex legal issues surrounding the use of a trust. The Trustee has to act in the best interests of the beneficiaries of the trust. Trust assets are not your own.
    – ASIC issues. You will need to abide by the Corporations Act and other regulations if you use a company. minutes of meetings, notification of changes to your address, shareholders etc.
    – If you use a company, Your personal information will be on a database which is searchable by the public too
    – Potential disputes on how the profits are to be distributed between you are the brother – trustee has absolute discretion here, but if you both control the trustee how do you resolve disputes. What if you have a high income and he has a low income, do you distribute more to him to save tax etc?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Steve1971Steve1971
    @steve1971

Hi Terry
    Sounds like you know your stuff.
    I'm Anthony's brother in the question above and have a few questions myself.

1: I understand (or have been told at least) that negative gearing losses are locked inside the trust until such time as the property becomes positve geared. If this is so, how long have we got to claim back these losses before they expire or do they sit there indefinitely?

2: Have the laws changed in NSW recently concerning land tax and trusts? The reason I ask this is after doing research last year we considered setting up the structure as follows:-
        Company as Trustee –
        PropertyInvestors trust (unit Trust) as owner of property (as at that stage P.I.T's were eligable for the Land tax threshold) – 
        and finally a Discretionary trust as the sole units holder of the P.I.T. 
    That way it was protected, was eligable for Land Tax threshold and we still had the power to channel funds to the most beneficial benerficiary. (for tax reasons etc)
    Does this all sound right to you?

3: Do company's and trusts  HAVE to use an accountant at Tax time or can we do it ourselves if we know our stuff?

4: Which states are best to buy in, Land Tax wise, if we decide to go with a trust.

5: If we decide to use a trust isn't it best to use it from the start so that down the track we don't have to pay AGAIN to have the Deed transfered into the trusts name.

6: This 50% C.G.T discount that I read about in another post is something I was unaware of. Would this apply to the above structure.

Thanks for answering our many questions about this issue, it's greatly appreciated.
    Steve

Participant
    @terryw

hi Steve

1. Yes losses are trapped in the trust. Losses can be carried forward indefinitely until offset by gains.

2. Yes laws have changed in the last few years. Trusts no longer get the land tax free threshold. There are different rules for 'special trusts' – some unit trusts may be classed as special trusts, but this will depend on the terms of the deed I think.

3. no

4. Not sure, but I think QLD is good. I think each trust has its own threshold up there – but I could be wrong.

5. Its not good to transfer an asset you already own into a trust – stamp duty, CGT and loss of asset protection are all issues. But that doesn't mean you should set up a trust straight away. Some people have big ideas and spend thousands setting things up and then after they do one deal they decide it is not for them and not going to work – I have also seen some who have set up trusts and never done any deals.

6. Companies cannot get the 50% CGT discount only individuals can. With trusts the income is distributed so the tax is payable in the hands of the recipients. If the recipient is a company it can't claim the 50% discount, but an individual could.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@steve1971

Thanks Terry, that helps

Umm, question 3? My question was double ended. I'm taking your NO to mean that YES we can do our tax ourselves if we went ahead with our structure of Company and Trusts?

Also I forgot to ask you, since any losses are trapped indefinitely, could we use them to offset CGT if the property was sold when still negatively geared

In regards to question 6: does this mean that the beneficiaries are eligable for the 50% CGT deduction?? I'm a bit confused about this particular point.

Regards
    Steve

Participant
    @terryw

hi Steve

Yes you could do the tax returns yourself if you understand it (and the deed allows it) but it is complex, especially if there are losses. You may need to consider things such as family trust elections.

I think you may be able to use accumulated income losses to offset capital gains – but this may depend on the wording of the trust deed concerning the classification of income. This is another complex area with a recent high court case, FCT v Bamford.

re Q6 – only individual beneficiaries would be entitled to the 50% CGT discount, not companies.

Email Me

@steve1971

Hi Terry
    Another question for you
    It appears that Family Unit Trusts are eligable for the Land Tax Threshold.

My question is can a Discretionary Trust own the Capital Units of a F.U.T while my brother and I etc own the Income Units? or can a discretionary trust own all the units? I'm not thinking that they can as the beneficiaries must be family members.

Some Fixed  trusts also qualify, I'm wondering if we had a Fixed Trust could the units be owned by a discretionary trust maybe?

This is really hard, all I want to do is set up a trust that protects the assets from litigation, divorce etc and still qualify for the land tax threshold. They don't make it easy do they.

Regards
    Steve

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Steve

You can't have your cake and eat it too I am afraid.

In NSW the office of state revenue classes trusts into 7 different categories. If one of the trusts falls under the definition of a special trust then the threshold doesn't apply. They would be taxed on land values at $1 up.

If your trust is classed as a fixed trust then the land tax threshold may apply. But to be a fixed trust the trustee must have no discretion at all in the variation of income or capital. It must be fixed. So if you have a unit trust each unit holder must be presently entitled to a share of the income and capital.

I am not sure about the units being owned by a trustee of a discretionary trust. I think the unit trust could still qualify as a fixed trust if the deed was worded properly. If a discretionary trust were to own the units, then you could not personally claim the interest to buy the units – the DT would be the one claiming interest.

If you set up the trust properly you may be able to do it by having income and capital units. Its still possible to claim the interest as this recent case shows, Forrest v Commissioner of Taxation [2010] FCAFC 6. You could have different classes holding the income units and the capital units. The deed could be worded in a way so as the trustee can determine whether any income of the trust falls in the class of income or capital and therefore the trustee could direct the income to each class at their discretion while each class has fixed entitlements. So you would have a fixed trust with a slight discretionary component.

So it may be possible.

Email Me

Profile photo of WilmacaccWilmacacc
    @wilmacacc

Hi Steve,

You mention you want to protect the assets from litigation and divorce etc.

If you have a fixed trust where you a with yourself as a fixed capital beneficiary, you have a real asset, and it would be at risk in litigation or divorce.

If you have a fixed trust with a family trust as a beneficiary the land tax would be assessed to the family trust being the beneficial owner, and the family trust is a special trust and not eligible for the threshold.

The benefit of the threshold may not be as significant as you think. If you already own half the property you inherited, you will have already used part of the threshold. The tax benefits on disposal of owning the property in the trust could outweigh the benefit of the threshold.

If you use a discretionary trust and make a loss, the loss is quarantined in the trust, but you must pass certain tests to be able to recoup the loss. One being the continuity of ownership test. Due to the nature of a discretionary trust it cant usually pass this test, the only way around it is to to make a family trust election, and this then has other implications.

While there is no obligation for any entity to use an accountant, you can see that there are many intricacies that most people would not be aware of, and the few hundred or even thousand dollars you might pay an accountant could be well worth your while.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.