All Topics / Help Needed! / This can’t be that hard… can it..?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Profile photo of PeppersGhostPeppersGhost
    @peppersghost

In November last year, iI decided it was time to get off my rear and head into the ‘property investing’ market – my superannuation is less than ‘super’, and if I don’t start making wise investment decisions now, by the time I get to my twilight years, I’ll become one of those old dears on Today Tonight, complaining about the price of bread…. I’d rather take control now, than later.

I’m only 40 by the way.. I may have left it late to get into this game, but as a wise man once said to me, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now…

So I’m now 3-4 months in, I’ve had advice from every angle, so much advice in fact, I’m now in a more confused position than when I began.. blissfully ignorant of all the ways in which I could make… or lose a significant amount of money.

Weirdly enough – it is not the potential loss of an investment that haunts me the most – it is the possibility that I make an investment, and then someone tells me “You shouldn’t have made that decision, you could have made twice as much had you done this instead..”.. and I realise they are right.

So a twopenny overview of my situation:
    – We have a relatively high income – around $250k per year and likely to climb
    – We own a house – worth $650k, with a mortgage of $180k (Equity of $470k)
    – We would prefer a bigger house – but only if it is not at the expense of ‘not making the right decision (see above)’

The potential strategies I have been provided so far:
    1. Just increase your mortgage, move into a big house, and enjoy it!
    2. Stay where you are. Buy a ‘fixer upper’ – renovate/modernise it and sell it. Helps if you are handy around the house
    3. Buy a unit (s) and rent it out – better return on units, keep on buying them
    4. Buy land – build on it, then sell it – massive profit, because you have done all the work
    5. Keep your existing house, buy a unit – rent them both out. Then rent the house you want to live in.
    6. “leave me alone, I’m sick of talking about property investing”

I understand there is a certain ‘art’ element to this, but surely there is a mathematical answer to this – which strategy is likely to make the best return, based on property prices increasing, and the tax laws as they are currently?

I’m in Western Australia by the way.. if that makes any difference.

Would love to hear a definitive answer here – even if the answer leaves me with only two potential strategies to consider.

Your help is appreciated :)

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Ha Ha.

You sound a bit like me – you sort of want someone else to give you the answer.  It would be much better if you found your own answer.  Here are some tips:

1.  Define your goals (do you want to build wealth, or just enjoy life or both)
    2.  Define your capabilities, practically and financiall (do you have the time to supervise construction of a house, do you have time and skills to invest in renovating)
    3.  Sorry but you just have to do the maths – painful as it is.  I'm sure you are capable – I have to assume that someone with your income is likely to be pretty smart and capable. 

You can do well by either being lucky or by being well informed, skilled and having made a good plan.  You will learn a tremendous amount by doing the maths yourself.  Points 1 and 2 may help you to cross a few ideas off that list straight away.

Good luck
    S

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi!

PeppersGhost wrote:
    We would prefer a bigger house

Who is "we" ? Is it you and your partner, or are there others living in the house?  In other words, do you actually require this extra space, or do you just want it?  If you just want it, ask yourself what the reason is.

You'll need to work out what the cost of living will be upon your retirement.  Also you'll need to work out how much per year your super will pay you.  That will tell you what the shortfall is that property is proposed to come up with for you.

I've been running some calcs.  My assumptions have been :

That I own my own home and it has no mortgage on it.
    That my cost of living, provided I don't take an overseas holiday each year, is about $30k.
    That the cost of living will go up about 8% a year.
    That my super fund will produce 8% growth a year (I'll be pretty ticked off if it doesn't, and am keeping a close eye on it).
    That rental return will increase between 5% and 8% per year.
    That there shall be at least 2 weeks per year allowed for vacancies in my rentals.
    That 3% of all return shall be spent on property maintenance.
    That 7% of all return is spent on property management.

I figured out that my super is pretty pathetic, and the only way for it not to be is to shovel overwhelming amounts of money into it and hope the fund manager manages it well.  And frankly, I don't wish to work lots and lots till I am 65.  So this for me is not an option.  I have decided to keep my super fund, but do the rest with property.  That way I do not have all my eggs in one basket.

Take a close look at the performance of the super fund you're in.  You might find that all your cash is in a "Balanced Growth" fund and that the performance is dismal.  Talk to your super fund about whether you can have your cash allocated in a different way in order to achieve a higher performance. 

The general idea in property seems to be buy and hold.  In other words, buy, add some value (eg renovation, or spruce the place up a bit), and rent it out.  You are on a massive salary and therefore you will absolutely be in the top tax bracket.  You  will be able to negative gear any losses on investment properties against your income.  (eg income = rent, costs = council rates, insurance, mortgage interest etc… sadly income does not exceed costs, so you make a loss, and declare it on your tax return and get some money back off your day job tax).  Also if you get a quantity surveyor to do a depreciation schedule on the property, you'll get a tax refund for that too, because your asset is depreciating in value. 

Take a look on the property websites (eg http://www.domain.com.au) to see what certain kinds of properties cost, and what they command in rent.  You will be surprised.  For instance, the rental return is often higher on a house in the suburbs, than it would have been on a townhouse on the city fringe.  This, together with the vacancy rate stats in the magazines (eg Australian Property Investor) will help you select a town to invest in.

You might work out that in addition to the super you have, you might require a rental return from properties totalling say, $500 per week, after expenses (ie insurance, council rates etc).

Sorry, I think I just gave you even more to think about!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@shales
    JacM wrote:
    Hi!

The general idea in property seems to be buy and hold.  In other words, buy, add some value (eg renovation, or spruce the place up a bit), and rent it out.  You are on a massive salary and therefore you will absolutely be in the top tax bracket.  You  will be able to negative gear any losses on investment properties against your income. 

There are quite a few different strategies for property investors to pursue.  You need to research each avenue specifically, independently and consider each objectively along with your goals and your financial and practical capabilities.  Many people no longer subscribe to the idea that negative gearing is a good thing.  Many consider it rather old fashioned.  This decision should be made by you, for you, given your own knowledge of your personal circumstances.  Given your high income, it is true that you may like to consider negative gearing, but you should also consider the many other strategies that you can read about on this site and you should realise that each strategy has a different formula for success.

About being worried that someone will say that you made the wrong choice.
    1 – that person may be an idiot
    2 – I'm pretty sure that there is some famous quote about the only way to be sure of not winning is not to play, or something like that.  Don't be paralysed by fear.  Become empowered with knowledge (no I don't have anything to sell).  Learn and make the best decision you can and be happy with that.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    PeppersGhost wrote:
    In November last year, iI decided it was time to get off my rear and head into the 'property investing' market – my superannuation is less than 'super', and if I don't start making wise investment decisions now, by the time I get to my twilight years, I'll become one of those old dears on Today Tonight, complaining about the price of bread…. I'd rather take control now, than later. I'm only 40 by the way.. I may have left it late to get into this game, but as a wise man once said to me, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now… So I'm now 3-4 months in, I've had advice from every angle, so much advice in fact, I'm now in a more confused position than when I began.. blissfully ignorant of all the ways in which I could make… or lose a significant amount of money. Weirdly enough – it is not the potential loss of an investment that haunts me the most – it is the possibility that I make an investment, and then someone tells me "You shouldn't have made that decision, you could have made twice as much had you done this instead..".. and I realise they are right.

Why you are in a sense of inaction is because you need to work out your tolerance to risk
    Return is proportionate to risk taken. The higher the risk the higher the return
    So if you are a low risk taker then you invest in lower risk investment and realise a lower return is achieved.

PeppersGhost wrote:
    So a twopenny overview of my situation: – We have a relatively high income – around $250k per year and likely to climb – We own a house – worth $650k, with a mortgage of $180k (Equity of $470k) – We would prefer a bigger house –

Don't make this mistake – Borrow 900,000 for the bigger house and then rent out original house and then expect to be able to claim the interest on $900,000 against the original house you are now renting. The ATO love this common mistake and audit people who try to claim a deduction this way.
    You have to have a nexus (Direction connection) between the loan and the income producing asset (Investment property)
    So the old mortgage of $180,000 would be directly connected to the original property being now rented out.
    If you rent out the original property you are not able to claim the full tax deduction on the $900,000 used to buy the larger house.
    Better strategy Buy an investment property using a Line of Credit Loan against the original property equity you are living in.
    DO NOT CROSS SECURITISE loans on Both houses.
    Use a LOC for getting a deposit for investment property.
    Pay off main dwelling/ PPOR loan as fast as humanly possible as it is not tax deductible.
    If you want to live in a bigger house you have to decide what is important to you. Your living comfort or getting ahead.

You need to do is get your head around is this concept
    What do you pay off your PPOR main dwelling loan with?
    Answer : After Tax dollars.
    What do you pay off an investment property with ?
    Answer: Before Tax Dollars.
    So if you Earn Rental income it pays off some of the investment Loan before TAX
    If you pay towards the investment loan from your pocket it is before tax due to future tax deduction.
    So lets say you have a marginal rate of 40% you would need to earn $1668 to pay off $1000 off your PPOR loan
    If you pay off $1000 off your investment loan you need to earn $1000
    So if you needed to pay $200,000 in interest you need to earn $334,000 before tax if it is a PPOR type loan
    Where as if it is an investment loan you need to earn 200,000 as it is not taxed.

Good Debt and Bad Debt

Good Debt – money borrowed to buy asset that increases over time.
    Bad Debt – money borrowed to buy assets that depreciate over time , eg Cars, Holidays, TV's Pool, Ect.

PeppersGhost wrote:
     but only if it is not at the expense of 'not making the right decision (see above)' The potential strategies I have been provided so far: 1. Just increase your mortgage, move into a big house, and enjoy it!

You could do this and struggle to pay off a bigger mortgage with after tax dollars but it is capital gains tax exempt.

PeppersGhost wrote:
    2. Stay where you are. Buy a 'fixer upper' – renovate/modernise it and sell it. Helps if you are handy around the house

Do you love doing this as you have to have a real passion to spend all your spare time working on the house ?
    What is your time worth as you earn a high income?
    Do you value your time is it better spent earning the high wage or working on your house?

PeppersGhost wrote:
    3. Buy a unit (s) and rent it out – better return on units, keep on buying them

If there is more than 2 units in the location you have to deal with body corporate.
    What sort of return are you referring to . Income yield or capital gain.?

PeppersGhost wrote:
    4. Buy land – build on it, then sell it – massive profit, because you have done all the work

Yes but don't forget the establishment of fences and gardens.
    Some people buy a big block with a house on it and develop it by sub dividing it – risk is higher if you can't sell two houses it at the price you want. Also 10% GST tax will be involved.
    A strategy I have heard of is buying from a later release stage in a rising market as by the time you have to settle you have made a capital gain.

PeppersGhost wrote:
    5. Keep your existing house, buy a unit – rent them both out. Then rent the house you want to live in.

This is not such a dumb idea. Your original house could end up positively geared and help you to pay off the unit.
    Also any expenses on the house you are renting are not your problem but your landlords.

PeppersGhost wrote:
    6. "leave me alone, I'm sick of talking about property investing" I understand there is a certain 'art' element to this, but surely there is a mathematical answer to this – which strategy is likely to make the best return, based on property prices increasing, and the tax laws as they are currently? I'm in Western Australia by the way.. if that makes any difference. Would love to hear a definitive answer here – even if the answer leaves me with only two potential strategies to consider. Your help is appreciated :)

Mathematical Equation.
    Return = Risk Taken * Amount invested.
    Or
    Wealth = Other People's Money ( leverage / borrowed money) * (1+.07)^N        N being the number of years your OPM compounds.

You should be more worried about doing nothing  . You have to be in the game long term to win.
    Leave me alone is like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand.
    Take advise from People who own a lot of property. I do not own a lot of property but I do read a lot of books and have listened to other investors who do have lots of property. That is why reading is important.

Concentrate on building wealth (if you pay off the loans as quick as possible you build wealth)
    Property investing is really a long term investment strategy.
    Some people do active investing which is improving an asset and then selling it. Requires Time and Problem solving.
    Some people do a passive investing and sit and hold property
    There are two approaches with passive investing.
    Negative Gearing – Interest Rate risk and Stable Employment required. Relies on Capital Growth . No Capital growth equals a loss as you pay the negative loss each year but didn't gain capital value in the long run.
    Leap frogging – Value goes up on existing properties so you borrow against the increased equity to buy next investment property.
                               – Read More Wealth book if you want to know more.
    Positive Gearing – May get low capital growth but property doesn't cost you any thing to hold. You can pay it off quicker as it costs almost nothing when tenanted to own it. Advantage bank will lend you money readily as you pay down loans and operate on a lower LVR figure.

Suggest you buy Australian Property Investor Magazine and read the case studies.
    Also you may wish to buy property investing books from http://www.businessmall.com.au
    I know you might have a headache and seem overwhelmed but knowledge = wealth.
    It is better to know all the different methods and decide which one you are going to choose to follow, that suits your risk tolerance and life situation..

Another Formula for wealth building I came across
                            1.              Buy income producing Asset
                            2.              get income
                            3.               use asset's income and your other wage income to help pay down loan
                            4.               after paying down loan to a cash flow neutral point
                                              use asset's income plus newly acquired property income and equity to buy another income
                                              producing asset.
                            5                 go to step 2 and repeat 2 – 5

Profile photo of michaeltwmichaeltw
    Participant
    @michaeltw

Just a little feedback. I'm 62. My wife is retired. Our income is 60k. Our income never exceeded 90k. We have 5 properties. Just 7 years ago we had 1 property and a 30k mortgage. Then I discovered that the banks would lend us money….until then my assumption was that because retirement age was 65 my loan repayment would be 25/7 x average mortgage repayment, that is 3.57 x average monthly payment (because my expectation was that the loan would have to be repaid by age 65). I concluded that I could not afford the payments.
    Today the properties are valued at 2.25mil, our netwealth has increased to +1mil.
    I don't intend analyzing your position as there are two many variables. However I'd just love to have your income…..
    What does old age bring? a time line that stretches back through all those events that have impacted on "now". Some observations.
    1) You are not an investor unless you have 2 properties, if you want to live in a better home you are a homeowner.
    2) Now is the time, the events of the last 18 months just confirm that the time between highs and lows can occur at different frequencies, choosing the right time isn't that important, choosing the right property is. 
    3) Always buy more properties than less because the land content of the valuation of the properties is where the capital gain exists.
    4) More properties will insulate you against adverse trends, more properties, more income, more capital gain. (remember Monopoly?)
    5) Have confidence in your own ability, with the sort of income you are on, you are a smart person.
    6) Buying one property will not make you bankrupt (unless your lifestyle leaves no cash at the end of the month!).
    7) Get out there this weekend, with the information in the book you have purchased, there is enough content for you to made a decision. Buy one property and learn from the experience.
    8) Always arrange for a line of credit to cover those events that will test you, unemployment, illness. Buying time is very important.
    Just a few "add ons"
    I have very little in super, I don't like super. One day in the future when you are ready to retire, 65?70?80??? this is what will have to happen, on that day you will need the global economy to be in good health, the stock market on a high, your super hasn't been eroded by government legislation, the thieves haven't taken their cut with the fees and all the planets have to be in alignment……..make no mistake everyone needs to have a parallel investment strategy.
    Finally I won't be crying because my super has disappeared, when my wife retired we bought a new Triumph Bonneville motorcycle and a new caravan…..smart move because today I would have had to put in an extra 20k to buy the same items.
    I live in Perth..are you going to the seminar??

Profile photo of BrettJDBrettJD
    Participant
    @brettjd

I'm just starting out too but the one thing i have learned is that 'Analysis Paralysis' can set in for analytical people.  I too have spent a lot of time researching different markets.  Adelaide or interstate, house and land or apartment, new or existing, closer to the city with less house for the buck or further out with more house for the buck, which suburb – what have median prices been doing, what are current rents…

I got to the point where i realised i was never going to make a decision for fear that i would then come across a better deal next week… This is never going to happen to me – why you ask?  Because after i decide on my first investment property i won't be looking at others for at least a little while – so i'll never know if a better deal comes up.  If you are in a position where you will be looking at investment properties the week after you buy your first one then i assume you are way more cashed up than i am and if you find a better deal – buy that too!

The other thing i have come to realise is that the longer i wait the more it costs me as prices are on the rise, so there is a 'loss' associated with waiting and doing too much analysis.

So, my theory is now:

Buy something new so i can maximise depreciation claims, in an area close to either Adelaide, or major transport corridors into Adelaide (northern expressway, southern expressway etc), with all the desirable infrastructure within arms reach – schools, shoping centres etc.  Get a tenant in, wait until the equity builds up and repeat…

Cheers.

Profile photo of PeppersGhostPeppersGhost
    @peppersghost

Wow – what I thought would promote a few short responses has provided an overwhelming amount of info. So firstly – a heartfelt thanks to all of you who have taken the time to put finger to key and provide feedback.

Key points that you have helped me with:
    1. Stop ‘faffing about’ (English term for ‘analysis paralysis’) – get stuck in, it will only get harder and more expensive.
    2. Renovation is out:
    – I hate DIY – I spent 2 hours the other day trying to fit a door bolt. I was on the eighth and final screw when it snapped and left the shaft in the hole… I had to remove it and re-drill the whole thing, I was nearly crying. Anything more than a lick of paint and I might as well be throwing fifties down the toilet.
    – My time is better spent working (and probably more profitable)
    3. I’m going to look into depreciation on new properties, and the financial effect that will have on the situation. Hadn’t really considered that before
    4. Work out what I need to live on in my retirement and work backwards from there. Somethings become pretty obvious only after someone mentions them….
    5. I’m not going to blow my entire ‘spending capacity’ on a dream PPOR…. extremely tempting though this is.
    6. Negative gearing is pretty attractive based on the high income. I did read somewhere however that negative gearing wasn’t that attractive (I think it was that Clitheroe chap), however I can’t seem to figure out why that is the case. Surely Negative Gearing allows me (in effect) to borrow at significantly lower rate based on the tax deductions against my primary income.? Ort am I barking up the wrong tree?
    7. Land scares me a bit – no income yield for up to 2 years – just capital gain. If the market goes cactus again (albeit unlikely), an empty block is a less attractive proposition (I think). Throw on the fact that I have to supervise construction and incompetent trades people makes it even worse.

Once again, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it, a hell of a lot cheaper than a financial advisor!

I do have another question, but will drop it onto a new topic.

Cheers

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Why wouldn't land have an income for up to 2 years?  I got a house and land package, and from the time of signing to the time of moving in was 6 months.  It would have been faster had the time not spanned Christmas, when tradies shut down for a couple of weeks.  It was a great acquisition for me.  I bought land really cheap in a new housing estate.  There was virtually no stamp duty because there was as yet no dwelling on the property.  And I got a nice new place :-)

The ability to get finance for an empty piece of land with no particular immediate plan for construction and earning rent would need to be addressed with the bank.  I also read somewhere that you can't get the dwelling on a fixed interest rate – that it had to be on a variable rate until construction is complete.

You are right that if you are no good at, and do not enjoy being a handyperson, don't.  But it doesn't mean that your property can't be renovated.  Outsource the tasks to the pros.  Painters and such like.  And if you are not creative and can't think up a nice look for the new kitchen that is needed, steal ideas from display homes (take your camera along!).  Go and look through houses that are up for sale when they are "open for inspection" and see what other people are doing with kitchen renovations.  Get ideas from magazines.  Then simply show the picture of what you want to the relevant tradie and say "do this.  This is what I want it to look like."  Also their invoices will be tax deductable.  And also they can get paint and other supplies far cheaper than you could.  And they'll do the job faster than you could :-)

Anyway, it is awesome that you've picked up some tips from everyone's comments :-)  Never be afraid to say "what's that, I've never heard of that!" if someone mentions something that sounds new to you.  There's also the factor of "you don't know what you don't know", so if a particular process seems overwhelming, sometimes throwing the question out there of "why is this so hard, here is how I've done it, am I missing something?" can produce some great educational tips from others :-)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Benjamin CsikosBenjamin Csikos
    Participant
    @benjamin-csikos

Here I go again, talking about super.

You can do a little more than just put money into your super to hope that it's going to be significant.  Yes there are tax breaks, but you can do a whole lot more with it than throw money into it and hope someone looks after it well for you.  If you're like most people I talk to, you may have even LOST money in the last 12 months, even though you were shoveling money into it every week.  If you're scared that your super fund is going to be a total waste of time (You might live on it for a year or three at best and then be left with nothing again) then this is what you can do.

If you have 70k or more in your super, you're in a position to do something.   You can leverage against your super through a self managed fund. Say you start with 100k, you can then go to a bank and leverage that up to 400k, and invest in a property with it.   Why?

Well, leave your super there… 100k might turn into 200k in ten years if youre lucky. (That's assuming it doesn't go backwards like a lot did recently.)

You end up with 200k.

If you LEVERAGE it however, you start with 400k… and double it in ten years to 800k. Same thing is happening, just far better results. You start with more, you finish with more.    Doesn't matter if you're the dumbest property investor in the world, it's very difficult to do worse doing this method than if you just left it in your superfund.  400k worth of property going up in value is always going to outperform 100k sitting in a managed superfund, getting chewed up by fees.  This is the power of leverage.

I think the way super is currently being run is a joke. Not a funny one.  Most australians are headed for an absolute disaster in their retirement, but too many people just don't see it coming, or care enough to get educated on how to fix the problem.

Look into your super. Set up a SMSF. Leverage it, invest it, triple it.

Or do nothing, and wish you had.

@peppersghost

My Super is atrocious, if had to live on that I’d be considering selling a kidney on Ebay.

Okay – this HAS TO BE mathematical – I would appreciate help in working this out.

What is the best financial return out of the following two scenarios:

Facts:
    I (hypothetically) own two houses.
    HOUSE 1 – worth 650k, can be rented out at $450 per week.
    HOUSE 2 – worth $1030k, can be rented out at $800 per week.
    Total Equity – $400k
    Total Debt – $1280k
    Marginal tax rate – 45%

Scenario 1:
    I do not live in either of the houses, but pay rent instead at $750 per week. I rent out both owned houses for the amounts above.

Scenario 2:
    I live in the $650k house and receive rent from only the $1030k house.

Ignore the effects of depreciation for the moment, and assume a capital increase of 8% per annum, and vacancy rate of 0% for argument’s sake.

Would love to hear the why’s and wherefores of each scenario.

Thanks in anticipation!

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

I'm confused as to why you would have 1 house for over a mil and get $800p/w rent. When you could have 3 houses for under a mil and get $900 p/w rent? You would then spread your risk. Ok so you wont have a million dollar house but so what you don't get to live there. Think with head not heart. This is business and if your heart is winning then the money side of the deal probably wont. Just some thoughts.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

@peppersghost

A hypothetical situation only… I was using it to work out a few things, if that is an important factor – what about if the house could be rented at $1000 per week.

Cheers

Steve

Participant
    @dwolfe

I still don't like it :)! The problem is that friends of ours built up along the coast in WA thinking they could rent out for 950 a week spend a mill and a bit building. Yes new estate etc harder to rent etc (had to because they moved interstate, house was primarily built a PPOR). Now still on at $650ish a week. I rent in a million plus neighborhood for just under $700 a week in Vic.

Please do not put all your eggs in one basket. Consider other options before committing to a negative cash flow situation. Ignore all chatter from anyone else who does not own a couple million dollars worth of property. What are their millions in? Oh wait no millions?

Are you in the mines? Or something else? Will you move interstate anytime soon and have to leave you investment in a PM's capable hands? When do you want to quit your 9-5 or in you case might be 8am till whenever?

Have a small strategy. Start small. By the end of this FY I will have…1 IP etc. Yes it is very hard to say this because on 250k you can own the world and buy the biggest and the best. But wait…..slow down and work out what is important to you in investing.

In business you would never run with your heart you would always back every decision with cold hard figures and facts.

D

Email Me

@shales

I don't have the millions, but even though I'm somewhat unqualified, I'll second dwolfe's opinion on multiple lower value ips being a better solution than million dollar ip.  One common thought is that in times of downturn, lower end property is less affected than top end property, in terms of value, rentability, rental rate, everything.  I think we see real evidence of this in the recent downturn.  During the recent downturn, my IP (lower end freehold residential property) continued to gain value, and rent continued to rise as it has always done.  There is alot of sense in this.

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

I agree with Dwolfe and shales, and if you have read any of the Rich Dad poor dad books, kyosaki also talks about getting more bang for your buck as well as spreading the risk by buying three or four cheaper properties rather than one super expensive one. i don't know many people who choose to buy an IP worth $1 million. There would be some people who may have a property now valued at $1 million, but few, if any who paid this much for the property.

If you have an area in mind to buy in, which doesn't have to WA just because that is where you are liveing. Get on real Estate.com look at the property prices, then look on the rental pages of that site to see what they may rent for. Remember to compare apples with apples and also consider that just because a property is listed for sale at $400K doesn't mean that it will sell for that figure.

Good luck,

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of startxingstartxing
    @startxing

I didn't read all the above, too many words….

So you have a high income, paying highest rate of tax,
    You also have good equity in your PPOR, 80% of 470k is what lender normally let you use = 376k

And you are only 40 only.

Just invest in brand new apartment, in prime suburb (not city area, because lender consider them as high risk), get all your lovely tax back, also you don't need to worry about rent because it is in prime suburb and it is brand new.

Buy as much as you can afford on the weekly payment. Research to do is, how many people go to a open session for rental property in that area? how much tax you getting back? can you borrow the money to buy it?

20 years later, you will be a happy fella without even touching your super at all.

Love to be in your situation~

@peppersghost

Okay – completely understand, multiple lower properties are the go… thanks for the tip.

Still wouldn’t mind some clarity on the underlying quesiton though.

Assume instead of the $1m house, I have 3, worth $350k each, all rented at 350 per week.

Best to rent another place, or use the $650k house as a PPOR?

Cheers everyone.

@shales

I reckon financial best is probably to rent a place to live (worth about 650K or less) and rent out 650K place.  Lifestyle does come into it, though, and personallly I much prefer living in my own home.  Of course, that is a very short answer and there is alot to consider and you need to confirm the answer with some maths.

Participant
    @dwolfe

You haven't said how long you have been in your PPOR. If you have been there for awhile and you are very settled don't worry about moving out as you can set up 2-3 IP's without a problem and without really changing your lifestyle. If you have been there a year and it is not the right house to live in or you've outgrown it with kids etc then yeah move out and rent. I think this is a bit of a side issue which could distract from the real mission which is getting some IP's going. Keep going and thinking!

D

Email Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.