All Topics / Finance / Have you used a Private Investor?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of dhodgsondhodgson
    @dhodgson

Hi folks,

as a possible means of funding our first project we are looking for any info anyone has in regards to using a private investor, how to start looking for one, where to look, how it all works etc. We have no cash, everything is tied up in our PPOR and we cannot gain access to any equity due to us being at 90% already.

I know it may sound ridiculous that we have no cash but why should that stop us!

If it's a lengthy answer then feel free to point me to a link or a book.

many thanks
    Dave

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Dave

Hate to say i think it unlikely as it all boils down to risk.

Why would an investor want to lend you 10% or similar and risk loosing his funds on a second mortgage when he / she could do the deal themselves.

In saying this of course nothing to stop you looking at doing the deal with the vendor leaving say 20% plus yours costs in the sale and then you paying him/her off over say 5 years.

This sort of deal is fairly common especially if you can find the right motivated Seller.

Good luck.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

interesting question tho,

I have been thinking of this as well but I will put up 20% to 30% as the deposit on a property
    but what would a private investor charge in the way of interest?
    And how would you find a private investor?
    The reason I am interested in this is not because I can't borrow money from banks but more for the fact that If I can find a investor that I can deal with one on one and he/she backs every deal I want to do and also can supply the funds within days not weeks then it would be a win win situation for the both of us.

Profile photo of j hallj hall
    @j-hall

its a common thing to use private investors.

u do not need any money yourself to use them,the reason investors use u to do the deal is they have money but no idea,but they want a return on it,so they use smarter people like you/me/ others to invest their money into projects.

u will need to do some form of feasability to present them on the deals merits
    the return on investment that u both agree on- possible private returns might be flat % return,certian % over bank rates with a ceiling,fixed cash amount,equity left in a portion of the property for them,one of the dwellings (units for eg) etc etc,u will pay 10-15% most likely on private money most likely so keep that in mind.
    time frame of investment
    exit strategy for u both(if necessary and asked for)
    the security be it – personal assets/business assets/equity/caveats/2nd mortgage etc etc

u must get this done in a contract by your solicitor.

dont be afraid to use other peoples money,the more u can use of their money the higher returns on your own investment u get.but u pay mroe for the money than from a bank.

also u must specify the risks for each party.

a money partner or investor as u want shares none of the risk if the project bombs.if it fails u owe them/the bank/the vendor and anyone else u owe from the project.a joint venture is more shared/divided risk and each person can be liable for their own portion of investment and failure.

as for where to find them,i suggest u do jenniebrown.com.au bootcamp /mentoring/club as i learnt about all this in that.

start with friends/family/sporting friends etc,i found my first partner (which i lost to neg gearing shit) who was form tennis comp and was investing 200k or so with a fixed return with plans for us to do some duplexes.

point of that is,u can find people with money everywhere with no idea of how to spend it.be professional with your approach and feasabilty,fair with your returns and properly contracted and u will get someone im sure.

dont forget,u cannot present this type of thing to more than one person at a time,cant present to a group of people or its financial advising and against the law.so be careful how u apprach people is my advice.

what are u looking to do? developments/stratas/sub divs/reno's?

we are currently doing few feasabilties on renos and thinking of buying a 260k property and trying to use maybe 200k of someone elses money.have to find a new partner aswell though so we are in same boat as you.

u really need to build a network and surround yourself with property minded people u can use to your advantage.

jas

Participant
    @keiko

Hi Jas

Thanks for the reply well said.

I mainly focus on buying established properties but I go where ever I see good profits to be made.

I shall try find some people with money to spare, most the people I know already know how to turn $1 into $2 but I will look further afeild.

Is there any good companies around that already have there hands on peoples money other than banks and that are keen to loan cash out

@j-hall

yes,our broker actually said he can get a hold of private money should our projects be a bit "out of the ordinary",for eg buying units on one title,strata them and resell.which is very difficult to finance over a very short period.

but yeah,try craig mills at approvedfinance or ur local broker,just get urself into a mentoring program etc and then use that to network from person to person to find people.

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Hi Dave,

I think that to attract a private investor to your project, you would have to have a track record of success.
    If your strategy is buy and hold, the capital gains may not be fast enough to pay the investor (at 15%pa I would expect) and still make a profit yourself. The private investor would want to know a timeframe of when he gets his funds back!

I don't see how  Richard's advice can work for you, as even with 10% deposit from an investor, or 20% vendor financing, I doubt you could get a mortgage for the rest of the purchase unless you have great wages coming in!
    (In which case, why don't you start a budget, save some money in your mortgage, and buy your IP funded by the bank?)
    That's my recommendation!

Or if you're super-keen, consider selling your PPOR to buy an IP sooner as your mortgage probably costs more than the rent on a similar house would be. And you can save more quickly then. But that is a personal choice, not for everyone I agree.

quickchick

Participant
    @keiko

cool thanks for that I just had a look at his sight and I will contact him later in the week to see what he has to offer

Thanks

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi quickchick

Why would the deal not work at an 80% lend?

As long as you have serviceability to cover the new loan and the funds can be seen in your account then most lenders would approve.

The original post was in regards to private investor which are actively out there and we have done many many a deal however it all boils down to risk and lvr. You are very unlikely to find a private investor go to 100% of the purchase price without any form of additional security irrespective of the interest rate charged.

At 70% or thereabouts funds are readily available by first second or even third mortgage course the rate isnt cheaper as you go down the pecking order.

Hence my comment about using Vendor finance which is done as a 2nd mortgage.
    Your lender will want the first charge on the property.

Profile photo of dhodgsondhodgson
    @dhodgson

Hi folks,

Jas you make a lot of sense in your first post and I recon I'll give it a go when the right opertunity comes along, which it may have in a 1Km2 block in an R40 area 2 streets from the beach, it has a 16m frontage but council is happy with only 4m access at the side, the rest can be built on. The land is about $550K, I've not got any quotes yet for the build or fees etc. And as you know I have no money but it's a prime opertunity that a private investor may see and not have time to commit (money rich, time poor).

The objective would be to buy, subdivide, build then sell. Possibly sell off plan before building starts. so shortish term spanning 18 months or so.

Quickchick, I have no experience, so no success (yet), my job doesn't pay that well, I can increase my wage but I have to become self employed and work short term contracts (I'm in the IT industry) so that will push out my loan ability by 2 years. We have thought about selling our PPOR but it's just been built and has another 6 to 12 months work to be done before it's in a state to reap maximum rewards.

Dave

@dhodgson

hi Richard,

r u saying that I must secure at least 20% of loan before private financing becomes feasible unless I offer up my PPOR as security (I prob wouldn't do this though, too much risk) as it's the only security I have to offer?

thanks
    Dave

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Dave

Yes what i am saying is that without other security no private lender is likely to lend you 100% of the purchase price / valuation unless of course they are the vendor and it is done by way of an instalment contract.

@dhodgson

what about basing the loan on the final value after contruction?

@dhodgson

I've been given very rough contruction costs, so…

land $550k
    construction $700k
    Fees $100k (rough guess)
    Total $1,350k

Each dwelling sells for minimum of $450 = $1,800k

Build costs are 75% of finished cost.

Dave

Participant
    @qlds007

Yes you might get 65% of net GST GR so if this was the case loan around $1.1M.

Still going to be a few $$$ short.

Banks dont lend on GR so would be the domain of the private financier.

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Sorry Richard, I misunderstood you. Thought you meant 10% private investor or 20% vendor finance, but you meant both.
    If Dave has servicability for his PPOR mortgage plus his new bank loan, which it sounds like he doesn't.

Dave, the trade-off for a private investor usually would be that he provides much of the funding, while you contribute the time. But I still think the private investor would want you to have a demonstrable track record especially in a sizeable deal. Or else, he's put money up which he could lose, and you haven't. (And don't want your house up for collateral.) 

Other things to consider in your costings is water, sewage, electricity costs. DA fees for council. Land surveyor, town planning costs. Plus extensive driveways, fencing etc will not be included in building. Stamp duty and conveyancing to buy, conveyancing and agents costs to sell. Maybe more I can't think of now.

How certain are your minimum sales prices? Are similar properties selling at $450K off the plan, now? (Maybe, just be sure you're not being too optimistic.)

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying not to go for your dreams. Just make sure that it is do-able and finish-able on your financing, that you can complete.

You are right in saying banks are cautious about loaning to self employed people, even with good  books and plenty of work expected ahead.

The more deals you look at (in detail), the more you learn. And you'll be able to assess costs etc more readily. All good research. Keep knocking on every door of opportunity!

quickchick   

@j-hall

have u thought about tryin to offer options and then using investor finance for the build and costs if thats possible?

that may save you 400/500/600k on the purchase of the intial land/property and try to option out for a long enough time to complete your desried project.

not for everyone,but def up some peoples alleys vendor wise.offer them an extra 50k on top of sale or something out of your profits.

its tough having no money,i hear ya,just have to get creative i guess.

@dhodgson

what about getting investment for the land only, draw up plans and sell all four properties off plan to help with loan approval?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I know someone who borrowed up to $500,000 from a private investor at 15% for a number of properties. He has now done a runner, not paying any loans for ages. Banks are repossessing his properties and the private investor is unlikely to get anything back.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@dhodgson

My broker actually just advised me where once the land is purchased I can capitalize the contruction costs so I would be paying only the Interest on the land, very useful.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.