All Topics / Help Needed! / Debt reduction v Deposit saving.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of Todd GilesTodd Giles
    @todd-giles

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, have read both of Steve's 0-130 property books, original and revised. Over the xmas holidays, i was just wondering if anyone had any advice for what to do in my situation.

I'm currently 22, in the Navy, getting paid fortnightly and currently have ~$17000 worth of debt all through the Australian Defence Force Credit Union.

New car loan (for amotorbike) with $8200 owing, variable @ 10.5%
    Personal loan used to refinance car from finance company with $6300 owing, variable @ 16.15%
    Credit Card with $1000 owing, variable @ 13.3%
    Personal loan with $1600 owing, fixed @ 11.99%

At present i've allocated ~$750 a pay (fortnightly) towards paying off my debts with the goal of having all debts payed off before 2011. And having my first investment property (preferably CF+) before 2012.

Would i be better off consolidating all of my debts into one loan? Paying off the loans over a longer period, while allocating the remainder from lower debt repayments towards a deposit? Sorry if this seems like a really simple question where i should know the answer.

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Todd Giles

Profile photo of dreamerQLDdreamerQLD
    @dreamerqld

Hi Todd,
    Personally I'd pay off your debt first starting with the highest rate (16.5%). But I'm no finance guru – to me it just seems like you'll get more bang for your buck by paying off that loan and therefore saving 16.5% – versus – if you put this money on a house instead you'd only be earning ~7-10%. So saving 16.5% seems better to me.

however it could be good to get your foot in the door with real estate.

With all that debt could you afford to service a mortgage as well?

Have you looked into the dhoas subsidy?

Profile photo of IPInvestorIPInvestor
    @ipinvestor

Hi,

What I would do? I would save as much as I can to pay of debt and meanwhile read some more books/forum topics/news letters to enhance my property knowledge.
    We can draw a plan for paying off debt ASAP if we have data of your minimum payment requirements for each debt.
    Or easiest way yo contact your bank and ask for consolidation of debt and find out how much time will take to pay off if you start paying $750 fortnightly.
    Regards;

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I agree – I doubt  you'd be in a position to take on more debt at the moment – and I'd be surprised if the bank gave you a home loan at this point.  They'd want to see that debt cleared down first, I'd think.

Clear those loans, starting with those charging the most interest.  And read up as already suggested.  I'd take a look at your spending patterns as well to help you understand which items you purchase that you don't really need, and the bottom line of how much it costs to be you.  Try putting everything you pay for into a spreadsheet for a year.  It'll shock you how much gets spent on silly things and how quickly they mount up.  Maybe you have a coffee habit that costs you $50 a week, for instance.

I'm worried about your credit card situation – be aware that you might already have black marks on your credit file, which will make it harder for you to get a home loan when you come to it.  Basically get rid of your debts asap and steer clear of being in such a situation again, is my advice.

If you are buying things, you might as well buy them on a credit card that earns frequent flyer points.  Then at least you'll eventually get a holiday out of it.  But I live by the rule of NEVER buying anything on my credit card unless I actually already have the money to pay it back. 

The reasons I pay for things on credit are:
    1. to get frequent flyer points
    2. because in some cases, it is the only type of card that can be used for the transaction
    3. to allow money that I already have stay in my homeloan offset account for another month or so and save interest for me there

Anyway that's all from me for now – it is awesome to see that you realise  you need and want a battle plan, and have the goal of GOOD debt (ie property debt) in focus. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of dreamtobelievedreamtobelieve
    Participant
    @dreamtobelieve

Hi Todd and anyone else in a similar position,

Personally I think its definately worth enquiring into the possibility of taking a lower interest rate personal loan to consolidate your debt as it will mean you can pay it off alot faster. Ultimately the sooner you can pay it off the sooner you will be in a position to save for a deposit and serisouly consider investing. It may be worth having a look at the site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com as well, as whilst the site is UK based the advice and principles often translate over to Australia.

As IPInvestor says, keep reading and researching as much as you can about property investing as not only will this put you in a stronger position when the time actually does come to invest, but it will also give you confidence and the belief that you are on the way to achieving your goals. Likewise I would also recommend reading some appropriate money mindset books, personally I remember reading 'Think and Grow Rich' (The Napolean Hill original, not property spruiker version) and can honestly say that it is the most influential book I have ever read and have never looked back since.

Last but not least, if you have the time there are motivational speakers like: Chris Howard who travel around the world doing free seminars called "break through to success" (google it), now whilst the seminars are very long and contain a lot of sales pitching and general American fluff, the actual principles are well worth paying attention to and will get you thinking in the right way. The website itself will say it costs $XXX but you can easily get free tickets from a number of places.

Well just my two cents worth, but think its important to stay positive and focused on your goals and you will get there.

D2B

Profile photo of slipperslipper
    @slipper

If you can't easily and cheaply roll all debts into one loan that has lower rate then I'd be looking at making the minimum repayment on all loans and paying any extra I had off the loan with the highest interest rate  (16.5%).  Once this one is paid off I would start  paying all extra money off the next highest rate loan and so on until got all payed off.

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Be wary of getting a lower rate loan and then taking longer to pay it off, because in the long run you care going to pay way too much for depreciating objects. if you do consolidate all the debts into a lower rate loan then attack the debt as quickly as you can, paying the absolute maximum that you can afford to pay it off. Then if you can maintain this level of payments put that same amount of money into an account to build up a decent deposit for your firat property purcahse. good luck, cheers Sonya

Profile photo of Drew GossageDrew Gossage
    Participant
    @drew-gossage

G`day Todd,

Im sorry I can`t offer you any financial advice as i am no expert myself. But what a can say is that im glad your eyes have been opened to the world of property investment. im also glad to hear about someone else out there just starting out in investing, As i too am 22 in the Army (lets not get into any which service is better arguements on here please Ha Ha Ha.) and Just starting out in the game. Sorry thats all that I have for you, And that i wish you the very best with your future investing mate.

Regards,

Drew

Profile photo of recruit2recruit2
    @recruit2

Pay every cent you have towards the one with the highest rate ($6300 owing, variable @ 16.15% – Eeek!!! That’s nasty) and pay the minimum off the others until that first one is gone. Repeat this process swapping to the next highest interest rate until they are all gone. You are putting a reasonable amount of cash flow towards debt reduction, so don’t bother too much with refinancing etc, just go hell for leather and knock off one at a time.

Also can you sell/downgrade any of these cars/bikes to pay these debts off sooner..? Otherwise, no big deal, keep your toys but smash the debts.

Use 2010 as your “Debt elimination year” while reading more property books and forums to skills yourself up in preparation for 2011 :P

Profile photo of Todd GilesTodd Giles
    @todd-giles

Thanks everyone for the advice and information.

At the moment i think i'm going to go with what most people have said and start with paying off the $6300 at 16.15% first. and then work my way down the percentages.

I've been in contact with my other bank (Newcastle Permanent Building Society) in regards to refinancing through a secured personal loan, with an interest rate of 9.76% comparisson. It turns out my bike wasn't worth enough to use as security, and my car was too old to use as security. I am considering asking my father to go on the loan with his mortage as security to enable me to access the lower interest rate, Just trying to gauge people thoughts?

For IPInvestor the minimum repayments for each debt are :-

$6300, variable @ 16.15% – $115.67 Fortnightly
    $1000 variable @ 13.3% – Not sure on the internet banking it has $20 a month.
    $1600 fixed @ 11.99% – $79.63 Fortnightly
    $8200 variable @ 10.5% – $103.06 Fortnightly

I've set aside $750 a fortnight towards paying off the debts.

My plan for this year as people have suggested, is to use this year as debt elimination and education in regards to Property Investing aswell as just a self improvment year alround. I'm looking at completing a Cert IV in real estate to help me with understanding some of the behind the scenes aspects of buying, selling property. Has anyone done any TAFE or other courses they could reccomend?

Cheers again everyone for the help.

Regards,

Todd Giles

@sonyasal

Todd,

Make sure that any extra payments that you make on each debt goes towards reducing the principal amount rather than just being seen as your payments 'in advance'. Some loans do not reduce the principal when you make extra payments. if this is the case with any of your debts, check with the funds provider to see if this can be varied.

if you can stick to the commitment to pay $750 in total towrds these debts you should knock them over quite quickly.  Cheers  Sonya

@todd-giles

Thanks Sonya,

What affect would having the extra payments just being seen as payments 'in advance' do, am i paying interest on more?

I think this may be the case for my loans?

From my internet statement for the $6300 @ 16.15% it says.

Current balance:  -$6300
    Remaining term: 33 months
    Repayment:  $115.67
    Next Repayment Due:  18  Feb 2010 (My next pay is the 4 Feb 2010)
    In Advance: $217.45
    Available for Redraw: $101.78

Just remembered I still have to get around to doing last years tax return which should help in eliminating my debt. woops haha.

Profile photo of Dr.SpockDr.Spock
    Participant
    @dr-spock

Hi Todd,

I was in a similar situation as your-self a few years ago, and now I am debt free, and we are saving now for a deposit for our first investment property. Below is my situation I have copied and past for you. I did it the other way around and started with the biggest loan first, I didn’t care about the interest rate side of things, but that was just me. I decided that no matter what happened every fortnight we were going to put 500.00 towards our debt and pay it off. It is now 2010, and we only paid our debt off just before xmas 2009, I was studying at uni, working, running a small business with my hubby and have 3 lovely children. So if I can do it anyone can. Good luck and if you need to talk more just PM me.
    regards

Hi everyone,
    this was my post on this forum on July 17, 2007 – 1:38pm.
    I need advise, here is my situation: I have managed to pay of fa family loan of $4,500.00 and pay down a p/loan from 12,000 to 7,000 since January this year (in total 9,500) which I am happy about, but heres my problem. While paying my loans, work got quite (Casual) I have other loans that I couldn’t pay the full amount each month, so I contacted the company’s and made an arrangement to pay the lowest amount possible for the month as I was experiencing hardship. Even though I have made this arrangement one of the credit card company’s has put a default against my name, I have tried to consolidate my loans but no one will look at me now because of my default against my name, and if they would I have been told that the interest rate would be so high, that its not worth me doing. I thought that if I could consolidate at least I would be able to pay just one loan off.
    Now I thought I would share with you as off today I am debt free,
    4,500.00 personal loan (family) – gone
    20,000.00 CBA (personal loan) – gone
    6,000.00 GE (personal loan) – gone
    5,800.00 GO mastercard – gone
    my hubby had to get a new car through his business so he has added me to the loan, which I have been told will fix my bad credit rating.
    You know what this feels so good, It has taken a while but now that 2 yrs has gone and all the debt has gone it is an amazing feeling,
    what do people think will I be able to get into property investing now? or will I still have problems because of that bad credit rating? I suppose the next step is to save for a deposit as I have no cash, but I have no debt now either YIPEE YIPEE YIPEE
    regards
    Dr.Spock
    “you never never know if you never give it a go”

@sonyasal

Todd, from your statement it appears that you are  not reducing the principal amount that you owe, so this extra money that you are paying on that loan is effectively doing nothing. You need to contact the loan provider and see whether the tems can be changed in some way to allow this extra money to reduce the rpincipal amount. If this is not possible or incurrs penalty charges then focus on paying the other debts that allow the principal to be reduced by extra payments such as the credit card debt.

cheers

Sonya

@todd-giles

Has anyone studdied any courses at TAFE or anywhere else to help them with education about property investing?

Turns out i may of just taken the interest rates as stated on the NEwcastle Permanent website, rang again this afternoon, was told 12.9% not exactly what i was hoping for lol. Will continue the search for a low interest rate personal loan to consolidate.

As it stands each fortnight , starting this thursday (4Feb10) i have coming off each debt.

$6300 @ 16.15% – $500
    $1000 @ 13.3% – $50
    $1600 @ 11.99% -$80
    $8200 @ 10.5% – $153

i'm looking forward to being debt free already :), the sooner it happens, the sooner i can start property investing.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Todd,

Awesome you are getting your head around your situation :-)

There is a free weekend seminar on in sydney in a couple of weekends time.  You can book your place here; https://www.tgrcashflow.com.au/book

If you attend a bunch of free seminars and learn one or two things at each, then that's got to be a good thing.  They are also great places to network with other people and hear what they are doing.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@sonyasal

Todd,

Why are you apying so much on the loan for $6300? you are already in advance on this loan and don't appear to be reducing your principal at all. Double check this with your provider. If you are not reducing your prinicpal then pay off the debts that you can reduce the principal on, such as the credit card, which could be paid off in full in one  month.

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of gooseheadgoosehead
    Participant
    @goosehead

Hey Todd and Drew

I have been in the Army for close to 14 years now and am well on my way with property investing.  I purchased my first property when I was 22 back in 2000 and it went really well for me and I just want to do more.

With respect to your debts Todd like everyone else has mentioned if you can get on top of them ASAP and consolidate them or just start with the hghest interest rate either way at $750 F/N you should get ontop of them quick smart.  The other side to the coin is that if you do not default on the you should have a good credit rating afterwards which will help you out.  If, after your loan repayments and living expenses have been paid,you have some money left place it in a ubank account etc so you have some savings behind you.  Good for things like seagoing allowance or field pay.

For both of you I recommend getting into an IP early on in your career and before getting a PPOR.  While you are entitled to either RA or a DHA house the money saved in not paying market rent will cover the holding cost of 2 IP.  While if you buy a PPOR, even with DHOAS, at your stage of your career it will end up being very expensive in that first year or years depending on which strategy you follow.  Also, with housing assistance, if you are deployed you can minimise your property cost to nil while you are away, this allows you save more money to be placed in say a mortgage offset acc for purchasing your own home.  I really had no plan but new that I had to do something so I purchased my first IP ad lived in the lines then rented for 7 years untill I had enough equity to purchase my own home.  I managed to save the deposit for my first place and since then have always kept my LVR under 80% .  It is a little more difficult now though and I suggest, if it is possible, get a leg up by using a relations equity to help raise the deposit for a property.  At least this way you can get into the market earlier and you can start working on the LVR untill the property does not require any security. 

There is another strategy that can be done but if you would like to kow more about that it will have to be via PM.

@todd-giles

Sonya,

Would you or someone else be able to explain the whole not paying off the principal amount, sorry not real savvy with the terminology.

thanks.

@sonyasal

Hi Todd, From your statement it appears that even though your are paying more than what you are required to pay every month, your principal (The original amount that you borrowed) is not being reduced. for example. lets say you originally borrowed $10,000 and have to repay $250 per month. For the first few years this amount is only paying the interest component of the loan not usually any of the principal. Now if you choose to pay $500 per month some loans will reduce the principal by the extra amount you have paid. Now bringing the principal down to $9,750. Therefore your interest that you pay will also be slightly reduced because the amount of money outstanding is less. I am not very good at explaining this. The best suggestion I can give is for you to call the loan provider and ask them directly "If I pay more than expected payment per month does this reduce the principal of my loan? " Also ask "can I pay the loan off sooner? Are there any penalties for doing so? "

Sorry I couldn't explain it better, when I reread this post it doesn't explain it as clearly as I would hope.

cheers

Sonya

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.