All Topics / Help Needed! / Setting Up Offset Accounts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of dnh83dnh83
    @dnh83

Hi All,

Just a quick Q…

Has anyone been able to set up multiple Offset Accounts underneath one loan ??

I recently quizzed the bank (NAB) about setting up another Offset Account under my home loan but was told you only get one offset per loan…is this common practice ??

Cheers,

Darren

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

I asked the same question at ANZ and got the same response

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes with the majors it is normal however with a lot of lenders you can have multiple offset accounts.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of dnh83dnh83
    @dnh83
    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think suncorp allows up to 10. St G allows multiple, bankwest too.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Rock i think is unlimited and they were offering 1% of the SVR until recently.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of dnh83dnh83
    @dnh83

Thanks All…

Being new to the PI game I've never really considered using anyone other than the big banks to get finance (just figured they'd be the best to help)…Looks like I need to expand my horizon's a little…so based on this, here's a few Q's to help me learn a little more:

1 – What are some of the Pros / Cons of using smaller lenders ??
    2 – Can the customer ever loose out if the smaller institution goes bankrupt (does this ever happen) ??
    3 – What are the Interest Rate Percentages like in comparision to the larger banks ??
    4 – Are there often higher fees with the smaller lenders ??
    5 – Will a smaller lender consider you if you have other loans with large banks ??
    6 – Generally Speaking, do the smaller lenders have the same stipulations (eg: 80% LVR, etc)

I'm sure there's plenty of other questions out there, just want to try and get the ball rolling on this to help educate those in my position.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Darren

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think the big banks are bastards (!), but would rarely use anyone but one of the biggies. I would never use a mortgage manager, building societies are ok, though they can be inflexible because they are small.

If a lender goes under then you shouldn't worry too much as you have their money, not the other way around. What will happen is that someone else will take over your loan. Rates can suddenly increase and this has happened in the past.

Sometimes the small non-bank lenders offer better rates than the banks – but remember the banks can discount and it is often better to pay more for the flexibility and other services offered.

Non-bank lenders are often high with exit fees and there are various other fees along the way – legals, valuations etc. Usually the banks just have this included in one upfront fee – or annual package fee.

5. yes
    6. yes, though the non-bank lenders will usually have all of their loans mortgage insured, even with low LVRs, so this adds more requirements you must meet and this can hurt your long term ability to borrow because there are only 2 major mortgage insurance companies.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.