All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying serviced apartment to be owner occupier – BORROWING ISSUES!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of new_startnew_start
    @new_start

Hi, I have recently found a nice apartment in a serviced apartment block in Sydney and the banks are being strict with lending with one lending 70% and one only 50%. I need 80%. I am able to lease it out myself and live in it myself without issues and can also lease out myself without using the managed apartment company.

The strata is more expensive as they do maintain the block more than most places to keep it looking good, but it's in my budget.

Does anyone else have any experience or advice on buying? The apartment has only appreciated from $295k in 2002 to $350k selling now. So not a big return but surely if owner occupied it can be resold easier?

It has a car spot in a stacker which does make teh maintenance on teh parking spot greater but can be leased or sold separately.

Any advice recommended! Thanks.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

why buy something like that?

being hard to finance means hard to sell which means low capital growth

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I agree.  Remember the rule – you want the value to double every 10 years.  The value you quoted is relevant to 2002 and it will be 2010 next year.  So that's say 8 years passed already.  So you should expect the property to be worth around $531k by now by the following calculation 295 + ($295 * 8 / 10) = 531.  You mentioned it has only appreciated to 350.  So it has already failed by a whopping $200k.  Stay away, I think!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of new_startnew_start
    @new_start

Thanks for advice. I totally agree that the capital return is a  worry. I really like this apartment and is perfect for me. I can live in it purely as a tenant and is ideal for me and is one of the first places I have seen in along time looking that "feels right" and is within my price range. Only about 20 of the 42 apartments is apparently serviced and the rest are either owner occupied or tenanted by the owners not as serviced.

This essentially means half the block is not serviced. In theory the block could beconverted to residential if enough owners wanted and prices could rise? How could I find out how likely that is to potentially happen in the future? If it did convert to apartment ion future would it be likely to be more worth buying?

@new_start

Also, could anyone recommend someone who may be experienced with this type of property and offer advice on this specific block and investigate number of owner occupiers etc and chance of conversion?  I am looking to finalise within the week so would like to investigate before I give a 10% deposit. I have given my 0.25% deposit with cooling off period etc but its a small (but painful) write off to make if this really is such a bad investment.

I can live in this apartment like any other block and rent it out myself so I think the stigma of serviced apartments is hurting teh building but may not necessarily ring true? it meets all these criteria for high lending from here:
    http://www.homeloanexperts.com.au/property-types/serviced-apartments/

"As a general rule if the following conditions are met then the apartment can be treated like a normal apartment:

• You can remove the apartment from the management agreement within 3 months.
    • You can occupy the unit as your home if you choose to do so.
    • You can sell the unit as a normal apartment without the management agreement.

In these cases you can sometimes borrow 80% to 95% of the value of the apartment.

Unfortunately this is not the case for most serviced apartments. Many lenders have the following conditions just to lend 80% of the property value!

• Permanent occupancy of the property must be permitted (i.e. there are no restrictions on permanent occupancy of the property under the management agreement or under local zoning restrictions.
    • An “Alternative Use” valuation (i.e. a valuation undertaken on the basis that the unit is not a serviced apartment) provides support and is to exclude the value of furniture, fittings and equipment.
    • The property is not a hotel/motel type of apartment.
    • The property can be removed from the letting pool (where applicable) within a maximum term of six months from the giving of such release notice. Where this involves the payment of a fee or penalty in any form, the fee/penalty is to be deducted from the valuation.
    • Rental income utilised as the basis for servicing/repayment calculations reflects that considered achievable in the ‘Alternative Use’ valuation.

These rules do not apply for every lender, each lender has their own specific guidelines."

If the above is the case are the banks just being over-strict?

@new_start

I just found out 12 are owner occupied and 30 are in the pool of serviced so probably makes it less likely for conversion. Ideally I would pay someone for advise if required who may be an expert in this area before committing if anyone can help? Thanks.

Profile photo of George 99George 99
    Participant
    @george-99

Hi new_start,
    You appear to be getting yourself in a bind here for no reason at all.
    You have said you really like this place and really want to live there.
    If you can afford it then this is a lifestyle choice, you shouldnt be buying this for its investment potential.
    I am an L-plater when it comes to this but have just started reading the latest book from the guru and one of the first rules is not confuse investment decisions with lifestyle asset decisions.
    I dont know much about managed versus owner occupied but from what you are saying the bottom line is that if all the units here were owner occupied it would be a lot more expensive and by the sound of it you then couldnt afford it which is why it is probably cheaper than anything else you have been looking at.
    There can be other reasons why it has expensive strata fees and it is worth having this checked out by someone with experience to make sure there arent major structural repairs required.
    At the end of the day you just need to decide if you are buying it to live in or buying it to rent out.
    Hope this helps

George 99
    Phone Me

@new_start

Thanks George99 (and others!)
    Yes agreed that's how I have been thinking about it. Strata is expensive as expected for its location and probably a bit more than other places as they keep it better maintained than a normal block for appearance sake for customers of the serviced apartments. I have had a strata check done and it all appears in order.

It's just such a big decision buying my first home that I guess I have the inevitable worry of a property type I'm not experienced with on top of the usual anxiety (and excitement) of getting a mortgage, new place etc.

At the end of the day if it feels right I think I'm doing the right thing. I may rent it out later but I can do it myself and not be locked into the the building management adn the returns they promise so it is essentially like a normal unit property in my eyes? I just hope I'm not blinded y something I can't see…

Participant
    @jacm

The big concern I see is; let's say you buy this place, and it appreciates far slower than other properties.  Then you have a situation change in your life – perhaps you'll get married and want to have a family and as such will require larger accommodation.  You could in theory refinance the flat, to pull some money out of it to sink into a house.  However if by that point, the value of the flat is tiny compared to that of a house, it may not be an option for you.  You may struggle to keep up with the property market in that regard.

Email Me | Phone Me

@new_start

Hi JacM thankyou and very valid point. It is a concern…. But weighing up the investment return I could make close to $20k/yr return based on current rents (excluding strata/rates etc) as an investment and so is always an option in that regard and could honestly see myself keeping this property long terms simply for the location.

If a property doesn't appreciate like the rest of the market then I am silly for buying it? The other option is I rent and pay close to the same as this yet end up with no assets to sell at the end of it? Not sure if I'm running a big risk but coudl see myself just keeping it for teh long term even if I do buy a bigger place later on?

Participant
    @jacm

Right so let's assume this place pays you $20k a year in rent, and appreciates at 1.9% per year (which appears to be the case based on the figures in a previous post).  Let's say a regular apartment doubles in value every 10 years, but returns say only 4.5% in rent.  Let's see how that looks after one and two years respectively.

Scenario 1 : Buy this place at $350k.  At its current rate of apprecation (1.9% per year) it would probably be worth $356,875 in a year's time, during which you'd have earned $20k gross in rent.  Let's forget about tax for now.  So in one year, its worth is $376,875, so to speak.

Scenario 2: Buy a different place for $350k that doubles in value every 10 years.  After a year it'd be worth about $38500, though may have earned a lower rent of say 4.5%, which would earn you $15750.  So its worth after a year would be $400,750. 

So in one year alone, the second scenario has already outperformed the first scenario by $23,875.  This compounds each year.  After two years, the gap would be more in the order of $48,797. 

Ultimately, it depends what the purpose is for buying this place.  It will always be a roof over your head – that cannot be taken away.  If you wish to live in it personally forever, then it works perfectly.  The issues arise if it is in an investment, or if you need to use this place to trade up to something bigger later on.  On the face of things, the rental return with this place appears to be higher and would hopefully remain higher than regular places.  However if you ever needed to refinance it to trade up to something bigger, you would probably find yourself very restricted due to the fact the place might not appreciate a great deal by comparison to other properties.

All that said, the future is speculation.  We're just going on past history of such properties.

Like George 99 pointed out, you have to work out what the purpose of the place is first, and make decisions from there.

Email Me | Phone Me

@new_start

does everyone agree small apartments should double every 10 yrs. this is a 1bdrm inner city apartment and I don't know if that rule stands for smaller apartments? 2+ maybe more so? guess that's a whole otehr debate about size of apartmenst to buy. at the end of the day its for  a place to live rather than investment so I think i'm happy with my decision pending bank approval..

thjanks all for your very valuable input!! I hope this helps other people too :-)

Participant
    @terryw

It is very hard to judge property in general at the moment. There may be many years of no growth or flat market, depending on the economy overall.

It is even harder with a serviced apartment. Many factors will influence price. A major one is the attitude of lenders as if you can't get finance then it will be hard to sell.

I think you are silly to buy a property that doesn't appreciate. There is no point. You might be better off by renting one and then investing the difference elsewhere.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @jacm

perfect!  As Terry suggests, have the best of both worlds!  Live in this area you like so much for a while – but rent there.  And at the same time, sink your cash into something else.  Bonus is you'll be able to negative gear any losses.

Email Me | Phone Me

@new_start

it will cost about the same to rent a property like this as it will for repaying a mortgage to own this property, so I won't have any money to reinvest elsewhere if I live there…

so I only see 2 logical options:
    1. rent and do no investing and have nothing after a few yrs
    2. buy and at least have some profit from a sale or property I can keep or rent out? and yes I know that is taking into account all the other comments..

or I guess
    3. look for another property that may appreciate, but may cost more and mean I have less money but may be worth more in the future if I can find such a place? not sure if If I can

Participant
    @terryw

what about the 30% deposit required?

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw

and stamp duty, legals etc

Email Me

Profile photo of dreamtobelievedreamtobelieve
    Participant
    @dreamtobelieve

Completely agree with Terry and JacM you would be crazy to put so much money into an asset which appears destined to underperform. You appear to be making your decision based on emotion rather than rationality which ultimately could come to bite you in the future. The very fact you are on a property investing forum suggests there is a part of you that is looking for a win win situation i..e Lifestyle and sound investment.

I stongly recommend you take some time out to get some perspective on what you are trying to achieve. Dont forget some of Australia's wealthiest people still personally rent their own home from other investors., whilst putting their own money into pure investment properties. It is important to get into the market but getting into the market doesn't have to be through your PPOR (principle place of residence).

BTW you mentioned the size of the apartment being another debate. Not really. If the apartment is under 50sqm then this could be one of the main reasons no one is willing to lend you the 80% you are looking for. There are many reasons for this and I would suggest you talk to your broker as to the reasons you are not being offered the LVR you are looking to achieve.

Have you explored the option of seeing if one of the owners in the block would consider renting to you as a long term standard lease? Whilst placing your hard earned money into an asset which has much stronger opportunity to grow?

@new_start

ok well good point . well I get FHOG and no stamp duty as bonus… I have about $100k to invest so could look at something cheaper in the suburbs instead that will appreciate instead, but would have to live in it for 6 months to get the grant which I probably won't want to do…

I'll have wasted about $1.5k on this property with strata checks, 0.25% deposit etc so I guess I need to make a call now. It seems a bit against instinct to rent rather than buy but in an ideal world, I guess I should keep emotions out of it and think of it as a business decisions I guess??? :-(

Participant
    @jacm

new_start … if you take a look at the contributions Terry makes to other threads you will see he knows his stuff and that his suggestions are made in the best interests of the person asking the question, not himself.   He's given you a pretty clear warning with his comment

"I think you are silly to buy a property that doesn't appreciate. There is no point. You might be better off by renting one and then investing the difference elsewhere."

That says pretty clearly that you'd be a fool to buy this place.  At the end of the day it is your money, but the advice you're getting in this thread suggests that your money would do far better being sunk into something else.

If you decide to buy it, be ready to be forced to live there forever as values of other properties get away from you at a pace your annual payrise cannot keep up with.

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.