All Topics / General Property / Living off your equity

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of jacprujacpru
    @jacpru

is there anyone actually living off their equity and maintain a buffer as well to pay for any shortfalls on their IP?

i've recently met 2 people who advise me of this strategy.

Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

Living off equity and borrow the life style cost against property is very risky.
    I think this idea is just for those people try to sell off their property and paint a pretty picture for some naive people.

how can people keep borrowing and increase debt; even asset appreciate it is still very scary…..

any comment

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Profile photo of jacprujacpru
    @jacpru

it doesnt make sense to me borrowing to cover debt but these people are actually teaching their clients to do just that. and yes, 1 is trying to sell me my first 2 properties worth over $1.15m.

is it still difficult to find a positive cash flow property in the current market?

Profile photo of Phil_MelbPhil_Melb
    @phil_melb
    jacpru wrote:
    it doesnt make sense to me borrowing to cover debt

It makes sense when it means you can keep an asset(s) that will grow in the medium/long term at a much higher rate than the cost to maintain. Also means you never have to pay CGT!

The risk is starting it too early at a point where you need property to be going up by 10% every year for it to work.

If you have a 5-7 year buffer with a diverse property portfolio the risk is minimal.

@jacpru

im not a fan of negative gearing. it sounds really good when there is no cash outlay on my side when it's negatively geared but i dont think 10% yearly increase is sustainable.

1 of the selling point is i have a 7 year buffer.

i still think postive gearing makes more sense that's why im trying to learn steve's principle.

i wonder if everyone here are just buying positively geared IP???

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah I heard this argument for living off equity. I wonder how many got caught out in the gfc. It does sound a bit risky for me. But I guess if you have 100 properties or something then you can do it. I like the no GCT part. I've got + and – ips. I think as long as your ip portfolio is doing what you want then doesn't matter. Some people really like paying stacks of money out of their paycheck every week!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

when you draw down equity to live off the additional borrowings are not tax deductible against your income. Your position continues to get worse over time. There are also no gurarantees that property prices will continue to increase from the very high levels they are at today.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Living off equity is a great strategy. Borrowing for living expenses is not deductible, but things can be structured so that you are borrowing to pay loans and then living on rents, so it can be deductible. The trouble is not bank will likely lend to you these days unless you have a good reason for needing the money. Borrowing to pay interest or for living expenses are no longer good reasons.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@jacpru

thanks all. i dun think i'll use that strategy.

im just starting out and still doing some readings on how to get started.

anyone join the 250k club???

Profile photo of ceffoceffo
    Participant
    @ceffo
    jacpru wrote:
    thanks all. i dun think i'll use that strategy.

im just starting out and still doing some readings on how to get started.

anyone join the 250k club???

yeah i joined it when he was here in syd a few days ago for his new book launch. See how i go applying his principals.
    Only thing that i have found i could be doing wrong is relying too much on negative gearing. While i should be trying to turn the IP properties into positive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.