All Topics / Finance / Choosing a bank or Wholesale fund

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • investToSurf
    Participant
    @investtosurf

Hi all,

I've just sold an IP house in Adl and bought my dream beach house down near the surf at Goolwa (Where the River Murray meets the Ocean) so I figured its going to be a good time to refinance.

I've always used a broker of which I've been relatively happy with, although there have been a couple of pieces of advice that was a little dubious.

I have a small $50K home loan, a smallish $100K investment loan for shares, and this new IP/holiday home loan. total value is about $600K

Anyways the best deal my broker suggested was a package deal with one of the big 4, it offers as many accounts, credit cards, etc and only one flat fee of $300 (no start up fees and valuations fees etc). their rate is currently (after oct 09 rate rise) 5.29%.

However I've done a little research and there is a 'online' lender, pacific mortgage group,  who can offer similar loan but for 5.06% and that is the comparison rate because there is no annual/monthly fees. They don't have the bells and whistles but I don't really need them as my current loan doensn't have them.

My conditions are standard and have about 65% LVR.

To me it makes sense that a place that has low overheads (ie no shop front/broker costs) can pass on a low rate to the customer.

When i quizzed them on their variable interest rate movements, they said that they move them when the big banks do. For me for them to remain competitive then it is in their best interest to keep their interest rates low. Also whats to say that a big bank want move their rate independently?

The other thing I'm still investigating is their 'get out' option. Are they extremely expensive to get out of should things turn pear shaped.

Their web site seems to-be very light. and their customer service is average. but if they are going to be $1500 a year cheaper than the best place elsewhere then I can put up with initial average customer service at the start as once its up and running then I don't envisage much contact with them. Although they claim to have the loan set up in a week compared to 3-4weeks with a big bank which is good for me!!

It seems that others (both on this forum and when asking friends) have had very little experience with these lenders (I guess they represent a small portion of loans).

Considering that worse of the GFC is behind us then I imagine the risk of going with a non-bank lender is reduced. Is there something that I'm missing or is it basically a decision on the risk of going with a non-bank lender?  I guess in the end of the day they are the ones lending me the money??

Can anyone comment on these loans, preferably someone who has considered them and made a decision either way? Any opinions, advice, experience would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Invest2surf.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would personally never use one of these non-bank lenders for a number of reasons such as
    1. There is no guarantee they will remain low. (neither are the banks)
    2. usually high exit fees
    and the main one
    3. LMI is applied to the whole loan which could limit you in the future
    and
    4. difficulties dealing with them in the future
    5. difficulties in trying to get an increase etc

I would only use a major bank.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

investToSurf
    Participant
    @investtosurf

Hi Terry, thanks for your post. I spoke with the lender a couple of times and he got me to put my worries down in email, this is what he wrote back.

Interest Rate: 5.06% standard variable
    Free Application
    Free Valuation
    Free Settlement Fee
    No Monthly or Annual Fees
    No Ongoing Fees
    Free Internet Redraw
    Free Salary Crediting
    Free Online Banking
    Unlimited extra repayments allowed
    Repayments: Monthly, Fortnightly or Weekly
    Exit Fee: 1 months payment in the first 5 years only
    The loan is portable if you sell
    No mortgage insurance for loans under 80%.
    You can increase the loan at anytime

in response to your questions;
    1. There is no guaranteie they will remain low. (neither are the banks) –

this is the risk but like you said the risk is the same with big banks. They told me that they source their money through NAB so will be inline with their movements.

2. usually high exit fees.

– its one months repayment. this is higher than big banks
    and the main one
    3. LMI is applied to the whole loan which could limit you in the future
    and

What do you mean by this?? does LMI = lenders Mortgage Insurance ?

4. difficulties dealing with them in the future

5. difficulties in trying to get an increase etc

I also spoke with my broker (who is in top 100 in country) and he said that he can't match it and if I was happy with risk of going with a non-bank lender then do it.

Any more input anyone?

Cheers again,

invest2surf.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Invest

In most cases this is clearly not true 'No mortgage insurance for loans under 80%"

All loans are mortgage insured just the fact being that you the client may not pay the premium.

As Terry has pointed out this is not a good thing at a sub 80% lvr.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

investToSurf
    Participant
    @investtosurf

Hi Richard,

I'm not following. So even with LVR less than 80% the insurance is paid by the lender (therfore they have accounted for in the in the interest rate?) I take to mean that LMI is paid all the time then?

If the LVR is greater than 80% the the borrower pays, if under the lender pays?

why is Insurance a bad thing if the lender pays for it?

Cheers,

2surf

Participant
    @qlds007

Because it will limit your future borrowings.

Mortgage insurers like lenders have max exposure levels.

Problem is you cant go the 4 or 5th mortgage insurer once you have max out with another because there are only 2 of them out there. Unlike lenders where you can switch around and try another lender.

As Terry mentioned it is horses for courses but i wouldnt touch a lender like them. 
    Guess i can think of all the securitised players who are no longer with us. Promised the world yet didnt last the distance.

Reminds me of a few horses i have had a quid or two on.

If they were that good why dont they have a bigger market share.

Participant
    @terryw

If there is LMI involved then the LMI company will dictate the requirements you will have to meet. So if in the future you apply for a increase and your postcode is no longer allowed with then you won't be able to increase the loan. Or your employment may change casual and they won't allow it etc etc.

Also there is only 2 major LMI companies, so giving your detail to one will mean if you go to finance at another lender, or a bank and borrow more than 80%, than that lender's LMI people may know your info already. This is not good if you have already been rejected (or if you have told them different info!).

Also – ask them their fixed rates. THey will probably be much higher than a bank. So if you suddenly decide rates are going up and you want to fix……..

What happens if they were to sell their loans to another lender? Sudden increases?
    Customer service after a few years?

Lack of offset is a real problem too. Without one you will be paying down loans which may not be good for tax later on.

If it is going to be your only ever loan, then probably nothing to worry about. You can always refinance into a bank later

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

investToSurf
    Participant
    @investtosurf

Hi Richard and Terry, I'll squeeze a response to both of you in one to make it easier. I've cut parts of your responses into and put my responses against these.

If there is LMI involved then the LMI company will dictate the requirements you will have to meet. So if in the future you apply for a increase and your postcode is no longer allowed with then you won't be able to increase the loan. Or your employment may change casual and they won't allow it etc etc.

>> ok I see your point. but wouldn't this be a problem with a bank as well?

Also there is only 2 major LMI companies, so giving your detail to one will mean if you go to finance at another lender, or a bank and borrow more than 80%, than that lender's LMI people may know your info already. This is not good if you have already been rejected (or if you have told them different info!).

>> I don't see this as a problem for me.

Also – ask them their fixed rates. They will probably be much higher than a bank. So if you suddenly decide rates are going up and you want to fix……..

>> they currently offer, 3 year fixed for 6.99%. this seems competitive.

What happens if they were to sell their loans to another lender? Sudden increases?
    Customer service after a few years?

>> Aren't I locked into the variable rate, so my rate will only increase if they increase the variable rate on everyone, including the new clients. this would mean that they loose their market edge of a low variable rate and not win more customers. what I'm saying is, isn't it in their best interest to keep it as low as possible?

Lack of offset is a real problem too. Without one you will be paying down loans which may not be good for tax later on.

>> I thought that having money in an offset against an interest only investment loan then means that it will start to pay the principle off and therefore not be tax effective. Because I can have unlimited deposits and redraws (with no minimum) I plan on putting any excess 'offset' money into my personal home loan and leave the investment loans as is (just pay them fortnightly/monthly) from the home loan account.

Problem is you cant go the 4 or 5th mortgage insurer once you have max out with another because there are only 2 of them out there. Unlike lenders where you can switch around and try another lender.

>>

As Terry mentioned it is horses for courses but i wouldnt touch a lender like them. 
    Guess i can think of all the securitised players who are no longer with us. Promised the world yet didnt last the distance.

Reminds me of a few horses i have had a quid or two on.

If they were that good why dont they have a bigger market share.

>> I guess its like Steve says "success comes from doing things different from others". I've been asking lots of other people over the last few weeks about who they use and why. Like you said many are with a big bank, but the only feasible asnwer is that their loan broker directed that way or for the security of a big bank.

>> my belief is that if they haven't fallen yet then they are most likely a stayer. We;ve seen that anyone is fallible, even some of the biggest banks in the world that were 'too big to fail" have fallen. Also, excuse me here, brokers have a vested interest in going with the places that will give them the best cut. After all this is their livelihood, this is how you feed your kids (and buy the 4WD's :). I may be proved wrong in the coming years but right now the risk is 1 months repayments, and if they are what they advertise they are then I'll be happy.

Participant
    @terryw

Banks only insure loans above 80% LVR. Below this and you are free of LMI restrictions.

If you think your rates will just go up in line with the RBA just ask Macquarie Mortgages clients how they feel about this!

I wouldn't think security is a reason to go to big banks, but the other reasons I listed are.

You also misunderstand offset accounts. The balance or wouldn't change on a IO loan with an offset, just the monthly repayments would be reduced.

If you don't intend to invest, never intend to move or increase your loans, then you may be right with the smaller non-bank funder – subject to the problems above.

Email Me

investToSurf
    Participant
    @investtosurf

Banks only insure loans above 80% LVR. Below this and you are free of LMI restrictions.

>>so non banks will pay LMI regardless? how do they charge me for it? is this factored into the interest rate or are they going to hit me with it some other way?

If you think your rates will just go up in line with the RBA just ask Macquarie Mortgages clients how they feel about this!

>> yes I know when the credit markets froze last year and the banks were dropping rates to compensate some lenders didn't pass on this. but don't you think credit markets are less volitle now and therfore this risk is lower?

I wouldn't think security is a reason to go to big banks, but the other reasons I listed are.

>> can you refresh me again? LMI, and lack of offset?

You also misunderstand offset accounts. The balance or wouldn't change on a IO loan with an offset, just the monthly repayments would be reduced.

>> OK i'm with you. I had a loan with set monthly repayments so the offset paid down the principle. If i've got extra money I want this to work against my home loan not the investment though.

If you don't intend to invest, never intend to move or increase your loans, then you may be right with the smaller non-bank funder – subject to the problems above.

>> I do intend to invest and increase and change the loan. The features like free valuations, free increasing the loan, portability, will allow me todo this. My experience with banks so far is that I've had to pay when these things have had to happen in the past. The package that my broker offered now these are free too, but you pay a $300 a year fee though.

>> I will be saving about $1700 a year with the non-bank, I think that worth it not having the account bells and whistles that I'm not going to use.

Participant
    @terryw

i think you should go with the non bank lender!

Email Me

investToSurf
    Participant
    @investtosurf

I guess there doesn't seem like a good reason not too, and on top of all the other reasons, they can have the loan set up within a week as opposed to 3-4 with the big bank. This is very good as settlement is once finace is sorted.

Thanks for your comments guys, I guess if a loan broker is suggesting going with a non bank that it must be a good idea :)

Participant
    @terryw

i was being sarcastic because you didn't want to listen to my (and Richard's advice).

Email Me

Profile photo of zimbyzimby
    @zimby

Bump, this is an interesting read.
    Funnily enough the principals can be applied to other industries.

Participant
    @qlds007

Terry i agree with you.

Mac Bank and RHG clients all thought they were getting the best deal upto a couple of years ago.
    Mind you in saying that so did Seiza and Bluestone clients for their respective product range and where are they these days.

Oh yes and what happened to Homepath, One Direct etc.

You are absolutely crazy to save a few basis points if you are in the business of investing in the long run.

Anyway thankfully everyone to their own.

Probably the sales agent used to be a double glazing salesman.

Wow i have a sore throat or did i come back from the UK with that….not sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.