All Topics / Value Adding / Demolition / Subdivision & Construction costs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of Matt McLeanMatt McLean
    Participant
    @matt-mclean

I understand that costs can vary greatly from project to project and from state to state etc but can anyone provide me with some rough figures as to how much a typical development project would cost? I have identified a potential development site with an existing house on there that I would want to demolish, subdivide the land, and build two courtyard homes.

Can anyone provide approximate average costs to demolish the house and clear the land, sub-divide the land, and construct two courtyard homes? Also, what sort of fees would you be looking at with the council, planners, architects etc.

I am a beginner on the topic so just trying to get a rough idea of how much a project like this could or should cost. I'd like to hear with anyone who can provide approximate amounts, or who has perhaps done a project like this themselves and how much it cost them?

Thanks in advance guys – I really appreciate the assistance!

Cheers,

Matt.

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

Hey mate,

Your looking at about 10k to demolish and clean the site, some companies will do it for free depends on the material the house is made from. From there it depends if the sewer is already conected to the site (that can be expensive). After that subdivision process is very simple.

5000 in council fees (my last one in WA) this depends on your council so look into it
    You have site works to consider these depend on the type of soil elevation bla bla bla
    In regards to building the home house prices can vary dramatically.

Here is a break down of a town planner costs
    $600 plus GST Feature Survey
    Sub Division Application $2,200 plus GST
    WAPC (Western Australia Planning commission) $1401 plus GST
    Then they will charge you follow up fees about $100 an hour
    Also a development application will cost you around $2,000

I do plans for 1,000 plus GST per property so $2,200 for both of them

Does that give you more of an idea? Of course these figures are rough and Western Australia but does give you an idea. The aim is to get in and out as quick as possible or the interest charges get to big so dont get held up at council.

Let me know how you go

Cheers
    Locky

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

This is a rough breakdown of what im looking to do. ( sub divide corner block and build on the back)

Council contributions $5200
    Sewer                            $7000
    Water                             $6000
    Sewer encasement    $11000  ( building over sewer line so have to encase with concrete)
    Sewer junction             $1000

Demolish existing double garage ( asbestos ) and remove concrete driveway.  $6000

Town planner and odd bits        $10,000

Hope that helps

Profile photo of kazwoodkazwood
    @kazwood

Hey Lockymac
    I am in WA just paid a $1000 + GST for Feature Survey. I think I paid too much after reading your post.

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

Hi Kazwood,

It depends who you go through, 1000 does sound a bit much, however we do alot of business with town planners so we may get a cheaper price. I have heard of surveys going for $600. which town planner did you use?

Profile photo of marx3bullmarx3bull
    @marx3bull
    devo76 wrote:
    This is a rough breakdown of what im looking to do. ( sub divide corner block and build on the back)

Council contributions $5200
    Sewer                            $7000
    Water                             $6000
    Sewer encasement    $11000  ( building over sewer line so have to encase with concrete)
    Sewer junction             $1000

Demolish existing double garage ( asbestos ) and remove concrete driveway.  $6000

Town planner and odd bits        $10,000

Hope that helps

The charges are nearly of the price I would refer. I think $800 is good to start a survey. It is not wise to pay $1000 or more for this purpose.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Oh yeah forgot to add my initial survey cost $770. As a bonus many builders charge for a site inspection before they quote  but most will accept this survey and drop the charge.
    Cheers

Profile photo of garggarg
    @garg

I am looking at site under hornsby council (sydney).
    There is old house, so sewer is there.

I want to sub divide & build house in rear?
    what will be cost?

Profile photo of Jaydee70Jaydee70
    @jaydee70

Hi,

I am really interested in doing this too…we have found an area that is perfect, great land sizes, and selling potential, my accountant has informed me that we will need to pay GST on the sale price of the properties, unless we keep them for 5 years, she also said that because we buy an old property, but end up with 2 new ones, that CGT may not be paid, but the entire profit is included as added income….our intention was to move into one of the properties, and sell our existing family home, and one of the homes we build, and repeat until we are freehold, and then perhaps start keeping properties to rent out from then…does anyone know of a way around this hefty tax payment?

Jaydee70

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Matt,

A developer in Ryde put in an Ad in the gumtree and asked people to come get what they want from the house to be demolished.  And made money out of it.  Renovators, re-sellers, recyclers, all came and paid him money for old doors, old stained windows, old door knobs, old timber.   A recycler bought the old bricks.  People renovating period homes came and got what they needed and paid for it.

Others advertised for free home, you take it.  Don't throw it away unless it is an absolute dump and only the termite wants it.

The money you make might pay for application fee.

Let us know how you go.

Angel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.