All Topics / General Property / Advice please

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of dcarrdcarr
    @dcarr

Hi guys

As you can see I am very new to this forum! I am here as I need a bit of advice in these uncertain times!

I am a first home buyer living on the Northshore of Sydney. I currently rent but am looking to buy soon. I have been doing a bit of research and have met with a mortgage broker and despite him convincing me that now is a good time to buy I am still unsure what with the impending rate rise and the current price of housing.

Do you see any value in me holding off until January of next year to enter the market or should I be considering taking the plunge now?

I have a deposit of around $40k and my salary is over $100k per year. I'm looking to stay in the area, looking for units in the 400-450k price range. I don't want to cripple myself with debt if rates do go back up to the 7% as they were last year.

There just seems to be so much to consider what with the different mortgages, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Darren

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Prices on the LNS are very high at present and may cool slightly once the FHBG disappears (but no guarantees). Likewise rental yields are still very strong (around 4.5% gross) which is generally a sign of an overheated market (this generally travels around the 3-3.5% mark). The correction could be either way with either property prices increasing (but unlikely due to affordability factors), rents dropping (can't see any signs of major new supply hitting the market, so unlikely) or interest rates increasing (causing ownership affordability issues/greater supply of property for resale/mortgagee sales etc – possible).

It is an each-way bet, is this a bubble or is this sustainable?

As for the pricerange – realistic depending upon the area, however you won't find much in the way more than an entry level 2 bedder (older style unit) or good quality one bedder (supply is pretty thin on the ground esp for 1 beds).  Factor in up to a 2% increase in interest rates (I generally work on affordability at 8%)

Profile photo of dcarrdcarr
    @dcarr

Hi Scott

Thanks for the information.

I would be looking for this place to be my PPOR. I've been studying the market for several months now trying to grasp what is a reasonable price to pay but I'm not sure what with the FHBG that these prices are slightly inflated? I was thinking of maybe holding back until the end of January / beginning of February to see how this affects prices when the grant is back down to 7k? It does not (to me personally) seem worth taking the risk to save 3.5k? especially if I take out a loan of around $405k at around 5.20% now with the chance it could go up to 6-7% next year? As I say I have around 10% in savings. I'm thinking I will save some more and take a step back and review again early next year?

Also what are your opinions on leanding from other companies other than the big 4? I was looking at MyRate and Pacific Mortgages who both offer competitive mortgages?

Thanks

Darren

Profile photo of andyfevandyfev
    Participant
    @andyfev

Hi Darren,

It is always difficult to predict which way interest rates will move but generally speaking I think we can safely predict them to rise in the next 6-12 months. How high they go will be anyones guess. Speaking from limited experience (3 years home ownership) we never really gave enough consideration to not having a 20% deposit to avoid mortgage insurance (which was over $7,500!). The smaller deposit also results in higher interest payments meaning less money coming off the principal and more going to interest payments. We are now looking to invest in dwellings in regional NSW that we can rent out but won't touch it if we cannot stump up the initial 20% deposit.

Personally I think the pricerange you are buying into is currently inflated due to the 1st home buyers grant. I think prices will correct when this scales back. Hard decision to make but remember that you are buying into a market – things (prices and interest rates) go up and things also go down!!

Hope this helps.

Andyfev

Profile photo of YnotnowYnotnow
    @ynotnow

there will always be a reason to wait,there will always be unpredictable factors … maybe prices come down …but maybe interest goes up very soon…maybe there is more to the subprime desaster and we get hit by a deeper crisis again …maybe the population will double over time ….

if you are ready ,go ahead and dont look back , its better to concentrate on the task at hand and work out how to go about it now in the best possible way and not waste time considering ifs and buts … not very professional but my personal opinion …

Profile photo of j900j900
    Participant
    @j900

You cannot attain great wealth and be a free man if you refuse to take risk.

Unless of course you win lotto.

Good luck.

p.s. ~7% is more like the NORMAL rate. Current ~5% is an emergency rate.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    j900 wrote:
    You cannot attain great wealth and be a free man if you refuse to take risk.

Unless of course you win lotto.

Good luck.

p.s. ~7% is more like the NORMAL rate. Current ~5% is an emergency rate.

Even lotto is a risk – dn't get your money back if you don't win!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of awsydneyawsydney
    Participant
    @awsydney

Darren

If it is going to be your PPOR, I agree with J900 and Ynotnow that you should buy now because it is always difficult to pick the bottom market. You are going to live in it and your intention would be to hold it for a very long time, so what little difference is it going to make? My only advice is BARGAIN BARGAIN and low ball the vendor. Make sure you research average prices beforehand and do lots of comparison to make sure your offer is very competitive and you are not being unreasonable. I did this recently for an off the plan unit in the city and got a big discount as well as savings in stamp duty. It’s is still a buyers market so dont be pressured to pay what you think is unreasonable just because you want to get into the market. You are the boss, not the vendor.

I have a few IPs in Artarmon and Chatswood which was originally my PPOR for many years. In hindsight, it makes little difference now that they are rented out.

Artarmon has a lower yield simple because there are a lot of older units there which is holding rents down and mine is one of the newer ones. The average yield for my 2 units there is just above 4.3% gross which is poor, to me anyway. The average yield for my Chatswood units is 5.3% which is a little more respectable but still relatively poor compared to overseas.

Participant
    @j900

5.3% is about average for an apartments in Sydney no?

Consider Japanese rental market – I was told it's virtually non-existent as nobody rent in Japan!

Regardless I think Chatswood and Artarmomn are good growth areas. Too many asians wanna live in Chatswood and it is a sub-economy in it's own. (same goes to Hurstville)

Participant
    @terryw
    j900 wrote:
    5.3% is about average for an apartments in Sydney no?

Consider Japanese rental market – I was told it's virtually non-existent as nobody rent in Japan!

Regardless I think Chatswood and Artarmomn are good growth areas. Too many asians wanna live in Chatswood and it is a sub-economy in it's own. (same goes to Hurstville)

Plenty of people rent in japan – but I agree it is a totally different market over there. The attitudes are very different. Properties haven't increased in value for more than 20 years. When you buy a property it actually goes down in value – so not much incentive to invest in property,

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @j900

Terryw,

Isn't that amazing… with 70m+ people mostly living in shoeboxes, properties are traded like second hand clothings.

The ski resorts having been invaded by Aussies are a different story. Last time I was there when AUD1=JPY55 some holiday units were on the market for the equivalent of aud$300k., yet last week a friend of ours was looking to buy a 3 bedroom unit in downtown Sapporo for AUD90,000 (granted rate has improved marketly but still).

Participant
    @terryw

Yes it is pretty amazing – property dropping for 20 years. Now there is a rapid decline in the birth rate leading to a shrinking population  (actually has been for a while), economy is bad, general feeling is pessimistic, spending down etc. Doesn't look good for a recovery.

Email Me

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.