All Topics / Help Needed! / Off-plan properties & FHOG

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of xyaxya
    @xya

Hi all,

A friend of mine is keen to buy an off-plan property, which will be ready by end of 2010 or early 2011. He has never owned a property, so should qualify for FHOG. However, he's wondering if he will lose his FHOG if he gets married or be in a de-facto relationship with someone who has already received FHOG prior to the completion of the off-plan property.

I'm under the impression that he will lose his FHOG but not entirely sure. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

i was looking into this recently… from what i understood, for properties "off the plan" the FHOG is only payable upon completion and settlement of the house ready to move into. and it is at this time when the applicant must be eligible for FHOG. so if they are eligible now, and sign the building contract, but get married or in defacto (2 yrs) before completion that will most likely deem them ineligible.

this was the case in WA in my interpretation anyway… so don't rely on this!

Profile photo of xyaxya
    @xya

Thanks for the feedback, wisepearl. I would think the same applies here in NSW as well.

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

If he buys the property in his name only he is still eligible for the grant, wisepearl is correct about claiming only at settlement.

As long as he doesnt buy a home between now and then and live in it or buy one with his partner should be sweet
    Hope it Helps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.