All Topics / Finance / LOC vs 100% offset account for PPOR that will become IP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of Lisa JLisa J
    @lisa-j

Hi all
    I would really appreciate some advice from the finance experts out there.

We are sitting on a lump sum of cash which we want to use to expand our property portfolio.

We have one IP already that is standalone IO loan with 80% LVR looking after itself.

We are currently in the process of buying a house that we will live in for about 5 years and then rent out. We are looking to finance this IO ,80% LVR. I was thinking best option would be standard variable with 100% offset so we can have a lump sum of savings in there to reduce non deductible debt while we live in the place.   Then we would be able to claim interest on full 80% when we rent it out later. We have enough for some cash as "peace of mind" insurance and deposit on another IP. We would use offset account to build up deposit for next IP, We are looking to utilise a similar strategy to what you would use for an LOC with a 55day interest free credit card paid off monthly for personal expenses etc.

Did consider an LOC but felt it too risky given that it will be an account that will have personal monies going in and out. We found out the hard way in the past about mixing personal and investment debt. We have been getting some advice from people who have major experience in property investing and their recommendation was for the LOC. I think the rationale is it is easier to access equity for the next IP purchase. Am I right in thinking we would be better with an Offset account for the PPoR to minimise issues with the ATO later on and standalone LOC for each subsequent IP after that?

The next question pertains to specific lenders – we have banked with St George in the past and are applying to them again for this property as they have both !00% offset and LOC products however I have been reading in the posts here that the Dragon's offset account is not fully transactional – which I'm guessing we would need to be able to use it like an LOC. Do I need to look elsewhere for what we are proposing?

Just by the by, the people with major property portfolio we have been consulting also have a business that assists with set up of finance and investment plans (Mortgage broking + buyer's agent + coaching). They charge a one off fee of $4000 to set everything up for us to get started on our journey. I'm well aware that you tend to get what you pay for but does this seem a bit steep to anyone else? We have been bitten in the past ( the old saying about "people with money need experience, people with experience get money"…. we now have experience!)

Thanks for your time in reading this very long post! Look forward to replies…

Lisa J

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Lisa

You have to be kidding me.

Someone want to charge you $4000 to set up your loan correctly something that the average Mortgage Broker does for nothing.
    Also how partial can they be if they are coaching you in what to buy.

You are totally correct about the SGB offset account when the property is a PPOR.

Also another big disadvantage with the Dragon is that it is a condition of the letter of offer your properties are cross collateralised under their Professional package somewthing i would be running a mile from unless i had to.

Your thinking is however correct why not take out an IO loan from day 1 with 100% fully transactional offset account and get the best of both worlds. Dont use a LOC as you will have issued down the track when you rent the property out.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of jenny111jenny111
    Participant
    @jenny111

Hello everyone.

I live in Perth. Does any one know where I can get finance up to 90% or even 95% investment property loan without lender mortgage insurance, please?

Thanks.
    Jenny

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Jenny

Those lenders that offer that charge a higher rate to compensate for it. Not worth it.

The days of having it waived at that LVR are long gone.

However get your Broker shop around as LMI rates went up 20% last week with some lenders passing on the full amount.

Profile photo of Lisa JLisa J
    @lisa-j

Thanks Richard

Yeah – all the books say – find a mentor – someone who has done what you want to do – but it seems there are very few who want to help out for purely philanthropic reasons! Apart from those on Propertyinvesting .com, of course!!!

Any recommendations as to lenders to look at that have fully transactional offsets?
    regards
    Lisa J

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Lisa

Probably need a little more hard data but there are a couple i can think of that we deal with regularly for clients.
    Some have easier credit terms than others.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry
    Lisa J wrote:

Thanks Richard

Yeah – all the books say – find a mentor – someone who has done what you want to do – but it seems there are very few who want to help out for purely philanthropic reasons! Apart from those on Propertyinvesting .com, of course!!!

Any recommendations as to lenders to look at that have fully transactional offsets?
    regards
    Lisa J

Hi Lisa,

Richard has been giving you very go  d advice, why don't you just use his service rather than shopping around youself. It would be easier for you and you will most likely end up with a more beneficial loan structure than if you do everything yourself. 

Regards
    Alistair  

Profile photo of StumpCamStumpCam
    @stumpcam

Hi Lisa, Westpac certainly has a fully transactional offset account. Offset accounts should be the only place all your private stuff sits. The LOC should only be used for investments. It's a great way to fund the 20% deposit required by the banks plus all the other costs, ie legals, stamp duty etc. It also can be used to fund extras along the way, eg if you want to install an aircon in an IP etc. You can set up a separate LOC sub-account for each property, but it's relatively straightforward to allocate percentages to different IPs with one account. I have a database program that does that, but any accountant should be able to do it easily. It certainly simplifies things with separate accounts, but only if the bank will let you do it without exorbitant fees.
       Never never use your LOC for any private purchases, because if you do, the only way to clear out the contamination is to pay the entire LOC off to zero, otherwise you have to apportion any interest accordingly, and what is the rub, you have to apportion any repayments appropriately too, ie you can't say "this repayment is for the private bit only".
       You can direct interest on the LOC each month to be paid automatically by another account, typically your offset account, or it can be set to self capitalise. I've only done self-capitalisation on a private LOC I had once, although some gurus here advocate capitalisation of interest under strict guidelines. Personally, I'd never risk it on an investment LOC. You can legitimately pay any expenses like rates and insurance from your investment LOC I believe.
      With respect to your lump sum of cash, you have a lot of equity built up already, and as a general rule I advocate never using cash if you don't have to. Your cash sitting in your offset account will be identical to having a loan reduced in size by using your cash as deposit. You should be using the LOC as a deposit, and saving your cash as long as possible. Only ever use your cash on your ppor if you have to resort to using cash, ie if your portfolio has expanded to the point where you've run out of LOC to fund further properties. Ideally you'll only ever use cash on your PPOR that you'll be staying in for a long time. You've certainly got the right idea keeping your loan IO if you intend to convert it to an IP in five years. Keeping cash out of the loan is the best way to go, but only if you can resist the temptation to burn it on an expensive holiday of course. You seem to have that under control.
      I've been telling my children this for a while now, keep your IP interest only, save all your cash for your own home. Now I wish I had set them up as P&I though, as none of them can save any cash! Generation Y should we wait!?
    Cheers, s/c.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

i agree with the offset. LOCs should only ever be used for borrowing investment expenses. If you stay putting money in and out of a loan you will create a tax timebomb.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@lisa-j

Thanks Richard, Alistair, Stumpcam and Terry for your comments – it has clarified things for me as to how we should structure our next step.
    I have gone back to St George's info on their "Advantage" package and they state you can structure it with Standard variable loan with credit card, a "Complete Freedom" transaction account with "Mortgage Equaliser Interest Offset" ( which is 100% offset) – am I missing something here – this description appears to me to be fully transactional? When I spoke to St George they said it is one account.

Stumpcam – thanks for your info – we learnt the hard way about apportioning repayments and interest when we used our personal LOC to buy a block of land. It was pre – education phase and we did it without consulting our accountant about the finer details. My accountant showed me how to do the calculation – it was a very useful lesson to see how we did such a great job of paying down our investment block loan while keeping our PPoR at pretty much the status quo!!!  We got out of it by creating a subaccount on our LOC for the investment portion but not without losing some $20K of tax deductibility off the investment loan. As someone has already said – you live and learn!   I'm a Gen Xer myself and always been good savers & budgetters but have kinda learnt the hard way with investments. We have always learnt far more with the ones that went wrong than the ones that went right but hopefully now we can learn second hand rather than first hand about how not to do it.  Hopefully your lessons will sink in with your kids soon and they'll "get" what Dad's been on about all these years.
    Cheers
    Lisa J

@stumpcam

I'm sure St George's offset account would be fully transactional Lisa, just as Westpac's is. (They are owned by Westpac after all). Their advantage package seems very similar to Westpac's (which I'm on as you've probably gathered by now). We also have a $395 annual package fee. I'm currently paying 5.11% which is 0.7% off their standard variable. LOCs tend to be 0.15%  higher than their property loans, although I've negotiated mine to be the same.
       I see that St George are offering 1.1% reduction for the first year, then 0.7% after that. Their standard variable is 5.79% at the moment, compared to 5.81% for Westpac. 
     If St George demand all your properties to be cross-collateralised as Richard says, then this is a major consideration. Westpac allows me to have them all stand alone. There's plenty of reference to the nasty problems associated with x – coll'n in these forums.
    The banks should tell you all of this; you just have to ask the right questions before you start.
    Cheers.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Westpac is my fav lender at the moment.

St G is good, but their offset accounts are confusing. There are a few different versions. One version actually reduces the principle of the loan. I even have one client on the offset that reduces the interest rather than the principle and he tells me the loan still also reducing.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@lisa-j

Thanks for that info guys.
    I am aware of not Cross collateralising and was intending on going to a different lender for the next IP if StG wouldn't allow standalone. I'll have a look at Westpac to see what they offer.

Regards
    Lisa J

@stumpcam

That is confusing Terry; Westpac's is so simple: The formula is simply: daily Interest calculated for today is precisely: {(Yesterday's closing loan principal – yesterday's closing offset account balance) x (loan interest rate)/100 } / 365. Each of these daily contributions are added together at the end of the monthly cycle and then deducted from my offset account.
       That's what I feed into my database program which agrees to the cent with my monthly interest. The Dragon must have a strange combination of principal reduction and principal offset. I'd be interested to see the exact formula quoted as I have with WBC above.
       Challenge one of your contacts at St George to give it to you Terry!
    Cheers, S/C.

@stumpcam

Lisa, I assume that if you're considering different lenders, then you don't have a pro package with SGB at the moment? It would be a bit ineffecient if you have two pro packages with the annual fee of $395.
         I used to have three different lenders, but I've refinanced them all with WBC so I could qualify for their pro package. This way I pay no establishment fees, no account fees, no credit card fee, and 0.7% reduction on a loan with offset.
        It would be relatively easy to refinance your SGB one if you had to. It's a lot cheaper now mortgage stamp duty has been abolished. (at least in Qld).  One of my lenders was SGB who never let me know about their pro package although I well and truly qualified for it. They might have garnered a bit more interest out of me for a couple of years, but they lost me as a long term borrower (well until they "merged" with WBC that is!) Come to think of it they should let you use either SGB or WBC with one annual package fee, but I guess they try to remain semi-detached from each other.

@lisa-j

Hi Stumpcam

WE had a pro package LOC with StG for our previous PPoR and had a subaccount for the investment block costs which was secured by the PPoR. When we sold the PPoR and moved interstate the LOC converted to a Complete freedom account  which meant we didn't have to change direct debits of salaries etc. We have been renting at present and sorting out what we  wanted to do. We have applied to StG for the new property but they've just come back and said they won't take my income into account as I'm on a temp contract so we are going to look elsewhere anyway. We can afford it but we'd have to put too much of our own cash in. So I'm thinking the Dragon has probably lost us too….

Even tho they have been taken over I think they are keeping it all separate. BankSA is also part of the group for NT & SA residents. Their website is practically a clone of StG.
    Cheers
    Lisa J

Participant
    @qlds007

Lisa

It is becoming harder and harder with The Dragon being owned by Westpac who also own RAMS.

CBA owning Bank West and a 30% stake in Aussie Home loans.

NAB buying out Challenger during the week.

Yesterday WLMI withdrew providing cover on all of their high risk mortgage insured loans for Westpac and passed these deals to Gemworth who are known for their rigarous underwriting.

The list goes on and on.

@lisa-j

Geez – less and less choice for the consumer!!

Stumpcam's comments have got me thinking again. 
    Hypothetically – you secure a loan on a property at 80% lend, time goes on or you add value and get the property revalued at a higher value and open a line of credit for that amount , ideally keeping the first property still at an 80% lend. If #1 is a PPoR you have all your money sitting in an offset reducing amount of non deductible interest you need to pay.
    Second property is bought with deposit and closing costs coming from LOC from #1 and a standalone loan of 80% on #2. From Bank's view they still only lending 80% of value and from tax persepctive #2 interest is 100% deductible – Right?

Are you up front with the Lender about what you want to do? Assuming you have all your loans with the one lender, I'm guessing that if you are not, they will soon find out. What is there to stop the lender saying they want you to put more of your cash in? I have always gone with the honesty the best  policy but have been told I'm often too honest for my own good! What do the savvy peope do?

Participant
    @qlds007

Lisa

It is not a matter of not being honest with the lender as I assure you they will find it is merely a matter of structuring the loan correctly from day and then sticking to the structure.

Your summary is about right.

@stumpcam

Lisa that's completely fine with my lender. I tell them everything. The'll only be concerned about your LVR on each property and your debt servicing ratio (ie enough income relative to debt). They've never told me I have to stump up some cash if I have any lying around. I'm mainly limited by my debt servicing ratio after 11 year's growth.

PS just for the record, I have 4 property loans, 4 LOCs and 4 offset accounts with WBC, and I don't pay a single dollar of fees.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.