All Topics / Creative Investing / Curious about Titles on Installment Contracts

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of Mal and JeanMal and Jean
    @mal-and-jean

Hello All,

I am curious about the Titles that each party is given when selling a property by Installment Contract. 

I am buying a property, the seller retains Legal Title and I have been informed I receive both Equitable and Possessory Title. I spoke with QLD titles office and the fella there has never heard of Equitable & Possessory Title…and he has been there 30+ years. If the Titles office hasn't heard of them…any ideas about this situation?

Also if I do go ahead and purchase with Installment Contract how is my interest (equity) in the Property protected….like if the seller went bankrupt and creditors went after all the assests (and the property I am buying)….Initially I am putting in $30,000 plus my monthly principle & interest payments? I could have a caveat, yet what strength does that have under the 1st mortgage?

Many thanks in Advance

Jean n Mal

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Yes, you are right – under an instalment contract you have an equitable interest in the property with a right to possession which you can protect by way of a caveat subject to the rights of any prior interests registered in the Land Titles office such as the first mortgagee.

If you are not already doing so you should be talking with a solicitor not associated with the Vendor so you can make an informed decision whether to proceed or not. 

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Also look at the Department of Fair Trading/Consumer Affairs etc in your state for issues relating to this type of ownership. I am assuming this is some form of 'rent to buy' or the like. The biggest risks being if you are in default then you lose anything/money that you have put into the property as you do not appear on the title except by way of a caveat (if the vendor permits one to be lodged) and also a risk in the case of vendor mortgage defaults where you would become the bank's tenant.

Profile photo of Mal and JeanMal and Jean
    @mal-and-jean

Thanks crj…my main concern is the protection of my equity in the property. I know the seller has an underlying mortgage of 360k. The property is worth realistically 390k  today (done my homework there). I am considering handing over 30k to get into the property. The Installment Contract is for 20 years however I would look to refinance in about 2 years….Finding a lawyer that understands all this is challenging…(I am making time to talk with Qld007 on Monday, sounds like he has much knowledge in this area).
    How much strength would my caveat have, after the 1st mortgage, if say in 12 months the seller went bankrupt and the 1st mortgage holder called in the loan? (if the 1st mortgage holder sold the place for 360k it would appear my "equity" is lost?

My interests in the property being the equity and possession are only protected by the caveat and the legal paperwork the lawyer draws up?

Thanks

Jean

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Jean, the biggest issue is that you will not have any equity in the property regardless of how much you are paying back to the vendor until the vendor transfers the title into your name. Can you not get finance through traditional means or another acceptable vendor finance deal?

@mal-and-jean

Thanks Scott n Mates, yes it is a type of Vendor Financing done by an Installment Contract which seems  different to rent to buy. I see that if I default the knock on effect is the seller defaults, as I am paying their mortgage. The seller is happy for the caveat to be lodged to protect my interests in the property.

The Dept Fair Trading/ Consumer Affairs and the QLD Titles office seem to work with what instruction is given to them. I have been in touch with them and they advised to seek legal advice.

There appears to be people here with experience in Vendor Finance which is fantastic for a starter like us, the sharing of such valuable info is much appreciated by us

Many thanks

@mal-and-jean

Hi Scott No Mates,

Unable to get traditional finance hence the reason for Vendor Finance. One way seems to be via an Installment or Terms Contract to get into the property. Could you suggest another type of acceptable Vendor Finance deal..here are some details. I need about 2 years before I can get traditional finance, say from Westpac or similiar. We have steady incomes of 2k a week net, $30,000 of savings and no other debt.

I hear/ read people do this all the time and am doing our DD before signing on the dotted line. The catch as I can see without getting back into a property today by the time our credit is good in 2 years the market could have moved up again..

Many Thanks

Jean

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Jean

Hate to say The seller is happy for the caveat to be lodged to protect my interests in the property.

The Seller doesnt get a say in this is as under the Property Act he/she has no right to stop you registering your interest by way of a caveat.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

A caveat really doesn't offer much protection. It is not like a mortgage. However it will stop further dealings with the property – so it cannot be mortgaged or sold while a caveat is in place. The caveat is notice to 'the world' that you have an interest in the property.

Whether this interest is protected if the owner went bankrupt – I am not so sure. It would be very messy with the creditors likely to be applying for the sale of the property etc to satisfy their judgment. Could be a legal mess.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@mal-and-jean

Many thanks Terryw & Qld007 for some good points…It seems we need to minimize risk as far we can… remembering that you mentioned that today the 1st mortgage holder can call in the loan even with on time payments..was it ANZ from memory.

Spoke with 2 solicitors this morning…they weren't much help, they both said they would look into it however they required $1,000 deposited into their trust account before they went any further…mmm as they have never done one..the search continues for a legal person that understands and does this…and is relatively easy to contact.

We are positive about going ahead with the purchase, just need the right people in our team…

Have a great day

Mal n Jean

Participant
    @qlds007

Mal & Jean

Has the Vendor provided you with a copy of his Installment Contract yet.

If not i would wait until he has done so first so you can make sure it is UCCC compliant.

Depending on what the purchase contract looks like i have someone who would act on your behalf in the deal.

Profile photo of AndrewBuysHousesAndrewBuysHouses
    Participant
    @andrewbuyshouses

Hi guys

This is a fascinating post from my point of view for a number of reasons.  Firstly, as someone who does this stuff all the time, it's great for me to see exactly what goes through a buyer's head before signing on the dotted line.  Secondly, I'm a little alarmed that some people are giving advice on a forum devoted to creative techniques when it doesn't look like they've ever seen one themselves.

I'll try and make some sense of it all for you though Mal and Jean…

1.  Tell me what state you're in, and I should be able to find you a lawyer who knows this stuff.  Unless you're in SA or NT.

2.  Risk of Bankruptcy.  This is a risk.  If the vendor goes bankrupt, then legally you have very little recourse.  While this has never happened to me, it has happened to a friend of mine.  We often buy houses this way ourselves, and one of my friend's sellers went bust.  My friend called up the bank and discussed the situation with them, and basically asked for time to get his refinancing organised.  Depending on a myriad of factors such as how much equity is in the house, if the bankrupt party owes the bank with the title to your home anything(or if they went bankrupt for a totally different reason) and if you're making all your payments, will effect how the bank behaves.  Banks are not in the business of real estate, they are in the finance game, and repossessing houses when the payments are being made just because they can is not in their best interests.  My friend asked for 6 months to get his refinance organised, and that was 3 years ago and has heard nothing since.

3. Equitable title and possessionary title.  Australia has this thing called "Equitable Law", which basically means that if a contract looks unfair, then a judge can overturn it.  It is in this sense that you have title.  You have a signed contract which shows any court in the country that you have an interest in this property, and this would be taken into account if anything bad happened.  However, if the person selling this house to you is in business doing this stuff, chances are it's all above board.  There is far too much money to be made in this business being legitimate to risk screwing someone over.  Because of your (and everyone's) level of caution and suspicion, people who do this sort of stuff as a business have to be absolutely above reproach when it comes to honesty and ethics.  If anyone gets the slightest sniff that they can't trust me, I'm out of business overnight, because what we do is so unusual to so many people. 

Possessionary title basically just means you're in the house, and getting people out who don't want to move is a pain in the butt even IF the legal owner is in the right.

4.  Someone made the suggestion of another vendor finance deal…. why would another one be better?  I've seen several properties sold with a smaller deposit, but your large deposit will help you refinance sooner anyway.  Someone else mentioned rent to buys as well.  Either way is ok, but if the vendor is more familiar with this way, then stick to it.  Then at least one of you will know what's going on! :-)

5.  Caveats.  While you can lodge a caveat without permission from the legal owner, these caveats expire quickly – I think in three months.  In order to have a caveat that lasts, you need written permission from the legal owner.

In the end, whether you decide to purchase a property via this method is all about the risk.  Is the risk that this guy gets the house repossessed (when you're making the payments) larger than the risk of houses going up in price significantly in the next two years or however long you think it will be for you to get "traditional" finance.  Also remember, unless you pay too much for the house, you can often get traditional finance faster this way than if you wait it out to do things the normal way.  That is to say the fact that you're making regular payments already on the house puts you in good stead and shows you can afford it.  Also, you have the chance to improve the value of the property (depending on the house) and therefore increase your equity and make obtaining traditional finance even simpler.

Sorry if I've written the Magna Carter here!  If there's anything else, let me know.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Andrew

When someone is bankrupted they have a debt which they cannot or will not pay. The creditor usually has a judgment against the debtor and once they have this they can get a court order to sell any of the person's property and recover the debt that way. A bank will have no say in the issue. What you are talking about is if the person were to stop making their repayments. But what if they are bankrupted for other reasons?

This would result in the purchaser under the installment contract having to enter into a legal battle with the vendor's creditor. Who would have priority? I think probably the purchaser would, but it would still be legally messy.

Another potential problem could occur if the purchaser defaulted on their payments and they are kicked out for breach of contract. What happens to the improvement and the equity from capital growth for the property. This can be messy too – but I think the purchaser would probably win – but it may be another legal battle.

And, caveats, I dont think they expire after 3 months in every state – not heard of this in NSW and i am sure the purchaser would have a caveatable interest due to the exchange of contracts so they justification to lodge a caveat – but this is not really a form of protection, it just stops further dealings of the property.

I am not keen on vendor finance from the purchasers side – because of the potential legal problems, or from the vendor's side – because of the potential legal problems as well as the low returns.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @andrewbuyshouses

Hi Terry and everyone

You're absolutely right about the bankruptcy issue, and I think the purchaser would win out too.  As for being legally messy, I've discovered in the last few years that by and large, there is no such thing as a watertight legal situation, and who wins often comes down to who wants to (or who can) fight the hardest.

As for the purchaser being kicked out for not paying, if you consider that most vendor finance properties are sold a bit above market value, what happens if it can't be sold the "traditional" way for the contract price?  Our vendor finance contracts are all non-recourse loans, so the purchaser can walk away at any time if it's no longer working out for them, as opposed to worrying about me selling it off as a "fire sale" for 50 grand less than the contract price, and coming after them for the difference.  

In the opposite situation, where they are defaulting but the price has increased, the purchaser has the ability at any time to sell the property himself the standard way if he thinks he can get more for it than he owes me.  He then just pays me what I'm owed under the contract, and pockets the rest.  I don't know if this is how they all work, but it's certainly how mine work.

Most people I know who do this stuff are just normal people who would prefer to work out a solution with the purchaser, rather than ending up in court over it.  My mentor who has done hundreds of these tells me he has been to court once in his vendor finance career.  A few years ago when I started getting serious about this stuff, I was way too over analytical.  I finally convinced myself that if I needed to know all the "what ifs?" that I would never actually do anything – it was a very hard change to make.

As for not being keen on VF because of the low returns, I really have to disagree with that one.  While having no buy and holds is just plain stupid, working your VF business correctly actually allows you to have more buy and holds, as you can use the cash flow from the VF properties to feed the negative gearing on your highly geared buy and holds.  Furthermore, if the market is going nowhere for a few years and you know how to do VF properly, it's very easy to get in and out of a few properties in that time and make some cashflow as well as some money on the back end, when the buy and hold guys are just bleeding cash for three years for hopefully some growth next time.

Here is a recent example of the returns I'm getting now.
    House valued at 325 K after a recent drop.
    Loan against property of 321 K – not tying up a great deal of equity here!
    My payments to the bank – currently around $350 per week.
    Purchasers payments to me – currently $638 per week.
    Their purchase price 370K – to be fair I set that price when I got the refinance val of $350K.
    Now, I let this guy in with no deposit because I was a moron, but even if I could just have attracted a 4 grand deposit, I'd have no money in the deal really.

Now, while this may sound like fun, this is not where the real magic lies.  Once you've mastered the basics like this deal, you can then step up to where the real profits lie, and that is in the back-to-back deals.  Here is a hypothetical example:

I rent-to-buy a place from a motivated seller:
    $400 per week, price of 350K – real value around 380K.  My option fee to get in is $1.

I rent-to-buy the same place to someone new:
    $500 per week, price of 400K. 
    Their option fee to get in is 10 grand.

I make 10 grand up front, $100 per week for a couple of years, and around 40 grand when the buyer takes up the option to purchase.

I think 65 grand over three years is a pretty high return for $1. 

I know this stuff is a bit "out there" people, but this IS the "Getting Creative" forum!

If anyone wants to know more about this stuff, or just abuse me and tell me why it doesn't work, then find me on facebook.

http://profile.to/andrewbuyshouses/

Have fun! :-)

Andrew

Participant
    @qlds007

Terry for once i have to disagree with you.

As you know i own First Home Owners Group Pty Ltd here in Qld and at present we have 81 properties on our books all wrapped through Instalment or License to Occupy Contracts. At out peak we had 184 properties but have wound the Company back and have helped purchasers refinance out to traditional style lenders.

In the main over the least 10 years we have mainly helped purchasers get into their home with nil or very little deposit.
    In Qld the FHOG is not payable on the possession date so to a certain extent the risk lay with us in the early months until the FHOG was paid at which time the risk exposure was slightly reduced.

With the 3 Directors owning all of the properties monthly cash flow was and still is extremely healthy. I agree that for the average purchaser doing the 1 deal here and there it may cause more issues than are worthwhile but in the main find the cash flow assists in supporting and paying down debt on my buy and hold properties which i acquired purely for capital growth.

The Caveat registered against the property to protect the purchaser remains for the entire period of the agreement although we do take an executed Power of Attorney from the purchasers used solely in relation to matters concerning the property. In all the years we have only had to obtain a Court Order to remove the purchaser on one occassion and this was merely because her it informed lawyers told her that she could squat in the property and not have to make any repayments. Thanksfully the Court disagreed with them and possession was granted.

Unfortunately there are many sellers who are not so ethical and some of the Instalment Contracts i have seen are without doubt illegal if ever tested in Court. Like anything in the world communication is imperitive and we encourage our buyers to contact us if they are having problems in meeting the repayments.

One of the major differences is never purchase the property and then try and find a buyer but always let the buyer locate the property and then approach with a view to financing and onselling to them..

Like anything in this world there will always be the odd bad egg on both sides of the equasion however done ethically this form of financing fills a massive hole in the finance market which is unlikely in the forseable future to filled by the traditional style lender. Interestingly enough over the last couple of years the quality of purchase has improved ten fold and in most cases these buyers have a small deposit and clean credit.

Participant
    @andrewbuyshouses

Hey Richard,

Just a bit confused here…

You've said…"One of the major differences is never purchase the property and then try and find a buyer but always let the buyer locate the property and then approach with a view to financing and onselling to them.."

One of the major differences to what?  To those "bad eggs" as you referred to them?  Assuming you're not, then why do you feel letting the buyer choose the property is the way to go?

I's also love to head your examples of things you've seen in ths business that are not ethical and/or legal by a seller.

Cheers

Andrew

Participant
    @qlds007

Andrew

Yes if the buyer choices the property themselves they feel more of an ownership and more likely to stay and look after it rather than choicing from a selection of properties the Vendor has available for sale through an instalment contract.

Several of the instalment contracts have seen are certainly UCCC complaint and others contain conditions which certainly do not comply with the terms of the Property Act.

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Andrew and Richard, thanks for the replies

I have done 6 wraps myself, many years ago now, and that was my main reason for thinking they are not worth the bother. The properties I purchased and then wrapped made me small weekly incomes and smallish capital gains when cashed out, but then you factor in stamp duty and all the other costs and it all adds up. Then comparing it to what if I had just rented them out and held – I would have been far better off. Add to that the potential legal problems…And, by the time I was cashed out properties had grown so much it was hard to buy more with the small proceeds obtained.

But, it is different when dealing with huge portfolios, and I guess it is no different than selling a product. And the main thing is to do some buy and holds as well.

Email Me

@mal-and-jean

Andrew, Richard, Terry and All,

Many thanks for this fantastic discussion. Just updating where we are today. ( Andrew – we are in SEQ )

We decided to do our homework as buyers as the builder/ seller seemed to know what he was doing however the paper work seemed to be lacking. His solicitor wanted us to pay $1,000 upfront for him to go and research how to do the paper work..mmm

As the buyer we are looking to help ourselves out of our situation, a solicitor would be great thanks Andrew…sounds like you have some current experience in that area.

We can see the risk, as the buyer, in going ahead and now feel even more confident in Vendor Financing….paperwork and communication are key.

Would this be correct that over the next 2 years till we refinance into say Westpac we would need to save up for stamp duty, we are not SD exempt?

We thanks everyone that has participated to making our future so much brighter

Kind Thanks

Jean 4 Mal

Participant
    @qlds007

Jean & Mel

As the purchaser you are legally required to pay the Stamp Duty 30 days after the Instalment Contract date and not on the date of settlement which could be 25 years time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.