All Topics / Help Needed! / how much to underpin ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of andykirbyandykirby
    Participant
    @andykirby

Hi All,

I've just found a potential renovation, a 3Br BV in Victoria, which ticks most of our boxes when looking for a renovation apart from one crack (approx 4mm wide at worst) in an internal wall at the back of the house (which seems to be the only part of the house affected). The footprint of the house is approx 140m squared.

By the feel of the slope of the floor in the area, it could be a restumping but am not sure whether the building would also need to be underpinned. I'm planning to get a builders report, but has anyone got a ballpark figure as to how much it would cost to underpin a section of a house this size ? Any rough estimates would help with pricing reno costs, plus how much to offer for property. Any help most appreciated.

Profile photo of Results1Results1
    @results1

I have lost a few deals due to the need of underpinning and while I cant give exact figures, some of the tproperties that were effected only had "a corner "affected and it ran into the tens of thousands, these had a much smaller footprint than a house. That was a few years back and i do believe the methods have changed/improved. My advice is tread carefully. get at least three quotes from reliable tradesman.

Profile photo of businessglobalbusinessglobal
    Participant
    @businessglobal

I would get a structural engineer on site and pay for their time/ report and also a underpin quote- hard to say as I have seen jobs come in at 9k and others at 45k to fix-but I alwys get a structural eng on site to test, measure, soil test and work out all the issues and how to fix it

Profile photo of AndrewBuysHousesAndrewBuysHouses
    Participant
    @andrewbuyshouses

I live and do some investing in Ipswich QLD, where ALL the houses are falling down!  But hey, people have to live somewhere!

What I normally find is that a house with 12 stumps that is 60 years old has problems with three stumps.  The stumping guys ALWAYS tell me I need to replace all the stumps when only a quarter of them are a problem.  About 20 grand for a typical three bedroom post war home out here, but everything's cheaper in Ipswich.

The last one I bought with stumping issues I got a twenty grand discount on thinking I'd deal with it some day, but I never did.  The vendor was aware there were issues, but not the extent of them.  I just got a verbal quote from the most expensive stumping guy in town, used it as a bargaining tool, and then never got around to fixing it!  The house hasn't fallen over yet! :-)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.