All Topics / Finance / Offset Acccounts

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of NOS1NOS1
    @nos1

Can anyone please clear up whether an off set account on a an IO loan actually pays off any of the loan or does it just reduce the monthly repayment?
    Also using equity to purchase another property. Does this mean using another property as security.

Cheers

Profile photo of PavvPavv
    Participant
    @pavv

Hi Nos1,

My understanding of offset accounts….

"an off set account on a an IP loan actually pays off any of the loan"
    No it does not pay off the loan balance. Its more like a savings account that (as the name suggests) offsets the balance of your loan when paying interest.

"does it just reduce the monthly repayment?"
    It reduces the amount of borrowed money that you pay interest on. Your minimum monthly payment does not change.
    eg. $200k loan, $40k in offset account, you pay interest on $160k (the loan balance remains $200k.)

I am no professional so someone could perhaps confirm/expand?

Pete

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Depends on the bank.

Most banks just have the offset applied to the interest, so the balance stays the same and the interest varies with the amount in the offset each month.

Other banks, notably St George, do things differently and take any saving off the principle.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of KuradjiKuradji
    @kuradji

I’d like to come in here and get some clarity, if I can.

I have a $200k loan against my IP. I have $50k IO fixed and $150k variable offset.
    I believe I am personally responsible for interest rates going to 9% in 08 – this coincided precisely with me stretched to the max.
    I have been throwing money at the loan to get it paid right down. I like a lot of equity in my properties.
    I chuck $2k to $4k a month off the loan and now have it reduced to $62k with $80k “available”.
    I have about $1k in the offset account.
    I am able to move money back and forward between the loan and the offset.
    I have never been able to work out whether I am better off throwing money at the “loan” side or keeping the money in the “offset” side.
    I did ask the bank, and while they were incredibly helpful and positive – I was neither better informed or any wiser.

So am I better off throwing money to reduce the loan ASAP OR keeping the money in the offset?
    Like – taking the $80k out of the loan and putting it in the offset, which would then offset $140k?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Problem with your strategy is that when you redraw the funds from the IP unless they are used for investment the interest is know not Tax deductible.

Keep it in the offset account and you not contaminated the Tax deductability of the interest as well as having the funds on call.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @terryw

I agree.

You can take money out of a loan at any time – if the product allows it – but whether you can deduct the interest on this portion will depend on what it is used for. I would suggest you not pay extra off the loan but keep the money in the offset as it will save the same interest but with less tax hassles.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of NOS1NOS1
    @nos1

Hi guys

With the above strategy do I assume that you don't ever pay off any of the loan (unless you use St George or alike).
    Does this just free up your cash flow, and you are relying on capital growth to increase equity.

Participant
    @qlds007

You do pay off the loan if you have a P & I loan with offset but if IO will merely reduce your interest repayments.

Remember the balance in your offset account is building up and up and nothing to stop you transferring the lot over to the mortgage account and reducing the loan balance immediately. Not necessarily recommended but can be done.

Profile photo of RudigaRudiga
    @rudiga

so what about an Offset account on a PPOR…………is it better to put surplus funds onto the loan account, or into the offset account?

or does it not matter?

i ask in terms of reducing your mortgage quicker

Participant
    @qlds007

Rudiga

Personally i would never put additional money directly into the loan account and would always utilise a 100% offset account.
    Remember what starts off as your PPOR may one day become an IP and you need to have flexibility on your loan.

Any funds you redraw from the loan through extra payments are only Tax deductible if the funds are used for investment.

@rudiga

ok cool, thanks for that

so essentially they both work the same way in reducing your mortgage……..thanks again

Participant
    @qlds007

In essense the saving is identical but from a Tax perspective they are a miles apart

Participant
    @terryw

I think it is generally better never to pay off any loan – keep the money in the offset and this will offer the same interest savings and greater tax flexibility.

Email Me

@rudiga
    Qlds007 wrote:
    In essense the saving is identical but from a Tax perspective they are a miles apart

yep understood the whole tax part…………but you just cleared the whole saving interest part for me, thanks again

Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

i always wondered how the banks benefit from offset accounts, because the interest they give on a savings account is far less than the interest they charge on a home loan?

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Interesting discussion. I have been a fan of offset accounts for several years, however our new MB thinks they are somewhat over rated. Does having a few grand in an offset account really make any appreciable difference to a loan? Particularly if the interest  paid to the offset account is less than the mortgage account. Any thoughts?

Participant
    @qlds007

Does having a few grand in an offset account really make any appreciable difference to a loan?

You would be suprised how much difference it makes.

Particularly if the interest  paid to the offset account is less than the mortgage account.

If this is the case then you are not using the right product as every offset account we recommend pays the same rate as is being charged on your mortgage. I am aware of several products that pay less interest than being charged and others which are not fully transactional but they would form part of my repetoire.

Usually find Brokers that dont recommend them dont full understand the benefits.

Participant
    @terryw

or maybe the broker is promoting non bank lenders who don't offer offset accounts.

Email Me

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.