All Topics / Help Needed! / Purple Titled aparment (cash only) – to buy or not to buy?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of howardcmhowardcm
    @howardcm

Hey everyone,

I have come across an interesting apartment I believe to be under valued given that is under a "Purple Title". I understand a Purple Title is a title that is given to the whole apartment complex. You're not actually purchasing a title as such, just a share in the title, in this case being a 1/8th share.

As you’re not purchasing a title it is close to impossible to get any finance from a bank. In this case I have the right amount of cash to make an offer. An apartment with similar floor space, same amount of bedrooms but on the closest road to the freeway (more noise) under a normal strata title is asking about 35% more then the purple strata is. I guess because being a "cash only" purchase reduces the competition by quite a fair bit.

As it will be cash only and I will be turning this into a rental in the not to near future, can I still claim expenses? I just cant claim on any payments because there wont be any?

To transfer the purple title to a normal title requires $40,000 or $5,000 from each apartment. Apparently 5 of the 8 have agreed with the remaining 3 not agreeing (all aged 75+). 4 of the 5 agreed to tip an extra $2,000 in so its hit a hurdle and the vendor needs to sell. I am confident the price of the apartment will jump about 20 – 25% if it is on a normal strata title and therefore easy to convince the other 7 owners that it is a good idea to do so.

I know REA aren’t the most trustworthy sort of people, can I believe that 5 of the 8 are in fact keen on going Strata Title? I myself think the pro’s far out way the con’s

What does everyone think?

Good/Bad idea? How so?

Thanks for your input!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds like it could be a good idea if the small extra payment could lead to a change to strata title. Even you you all chip in for the other ones that won't pay. but check this thoroughly. Maybe speak to each owner. Don't believe the agent.

if this can't be achieved, then it probably is not worth buying as it will be impossible to sell and hard to mortgage.

You should also see advice on how to buy it. If paying cash, then maybe a discretionary trust is a good idea. you could then think about lending money to the trust and later refinancing the loan with a normal lender, if strata goes thru, and that way freeing up your cash again. Otherwise if you pay cash now you will be stuck with all your cash locked away – which may not be a problem if you have plenty.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.