All Topics / Finance / latest update for Finance for Trusts!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

All brokers here is it harder to get finance for any type of Trusts!

Are the rates higher than normal!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

For HDT Yes DT or UT No

For Corporate Trustees some lenders wont offer arate discount for larger loans.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

i agree

Bankwest don't like trusts at all now. Unless you have an existing loan with them it may be impossible.

ANZ will not allow trusts on the low doc etc

But if your trust has a person as trustee, then it would be ok.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Pos

The wife and I recently set up a DT with Corporate Trustee and went with MyRate. The consultant there understood how the whole Trust worked, and was mainly concerned with our salaries, because that was a key factor in determinating the eligible lending amount.

The lending rate was still the same as if borrowing in our personal names. The consultant was unfazed by the whole trust structure to begin with.

Regards
    Daniel

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Daniel

Yes as i say with a DT no problems but MyRate wont touch HDT's.
    Interesting on their website how they compare only the standard variable rate of other Banks when in reality no one borrows at that rate these days. 

Profile photo of Michael.LeeMichael.Lee
    Participant
    @michael.lee

Gidday Daniel,

Just out of curiosity, what made you go with a mortgage originated ING product vs taking the real deal ING loan through an ORP Broker at a lower rate than the MyRate version?

And Richard, here's a shock for you. I'm with you on 100% on the comparison based advertising. Why is it that MyRate compares a basic variable product with a peak reference rate product that lenders discount down from? It ought to be illegal.

If MyRate's product is so good, why don't they compare it more honestly?

And one final thought (for this comment), how on earth is it ethical to shout No Fees* then fine print lists costs that other lenders, and most of the English speaking nation would call fees?

Hmmm.

Profile photo of noddynolnoddynol
    @noddynol

try rams and citibank for hybrid trusts

Participant
    @qlds007

Hate to say you can forget Citibank now.

@daniellee

Hi, Michael

We wanted a basic loan for our IP via a DT, so I went with a mortgage broker while looking through Infochoice on my own. Infochoice came up with MyRate as the lowest cost. I then contacted MyRate and found out that they are backed by ING. As there was a difference of 0.06% in interest rate with almost everything else roughly the same, I asked why the difference. MyRate explained that they were like the internet arm of ING, similar to how OneDirect is to ANZ.

Based on our criteria of no application & monthly fees, not needing an offset, borrowing 90% LVR via a DT, and our own investment plans over the next 5-7 yrs, we went with MyRate. We had the time to do the paperwork ourselves, so decided not to go with the broker. He was a lot of help though, and would be happy to approach him again in the future with more complex funding arrangements.

I am not too familiar with the terms Mortgage Originator or Ongoing Rebate Plan (ORP), though I have heard of the first term before. Had to search online on the latter term, but still did not find a good answer for ORP. I understand that by going through my current lender, it is a mortgage originated product. Can you explain what an ORP broker is (is it similar to a normal mortgage broker but with a fancy name?) and how can one provide a even lower rate?

Regards
    Daniel

Participant
    @michael.lee

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the detailed response.

You need to watch out for infochoice and similar web sites because their information is often incorrect and is always incomplete. I'm actually working on a piece on these types of sites right now, which should be out mid August.

Infochoice was wrong on the lowest cost point of they stated MyRate. Especially given the likelihood of Mortgage Insurance based on your LVR. I looked at a scenario for a client a few months back whose LMI was about $4K dearer with MyRate than it was with a standard lenders. Granted the LVR was 90% and loan was $600,000, but still. If you're surprised by this, then let me know and I can get you a copy of the piece I wrote on LMI for Your Investment Property Magazine.

There are a bunch of inaccuracies in what you've been told re: MyRate, but here's a couple of majors:

One Direct is mortgage originator which is a wholly owned subsidiary of ANZ. That means is it covered by ANZ's banking licence etc.

MyRate has no such relationship with ING. They ARE a mortgage originator and their funds are sourced from ING (not ING Direct per se), so too are Resi's and number of other mortgage originators. They are a private company and are not backed by, or a part of ING Direct as far as I know (which by the way is a JV between ANZ and ING).

However you are now looped into dealing with a mortgage manager, so whilst ING may be the ultimate lender, that's about it. You can't deal with ING directly. Is this a big deal? Can be, but hopefully not for you. You did however, miss out in ING's self insured version of LMI called REF, which probably cost you because REF regularly kicks the pants off GE and PMI.

But to answer your question, ORP Brokers are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse poo and there are few different models out there. They are mortgage brokers in the true and regular sense (i..e standard lender panel, do the paperwork, manage the work-flow to settlement etc) however they pass up to 100% of trail over to you.

WARNING: Gratuitous plug coming up…

Ironically I came to this forum researching ORP and SRP for a Your Mortgage Magazine article I'm writing due out later this year (that was the plug), finding your post and Richard's response in google. I didn't look at the Your Share model as it was too new and needs some time in market to see how it settles in and holds up.

However the sharpest ORP Broker in market today, credits 100% of the trail commission to your loan account on a monthly basis. No restriction on lender or product and has been doing ORPs since 2004 (verified).

I have however, run into some problems with fake opinions on various mortgage rebate models in the market, so I shifted the story angle to secret shop instead. I know Richard was very keen to bag this style of broker, however they all ranked surprisingly well in both complex and simple scenarios and they beat the retail broker on cost, solution and compliance.

In fact the sharp ORP Broker also gave the shopper referees for two borrowers who spoke very highly of the skill and care they received and continue to receive.

One is a Sydney based real estate agent with a $6m commercial+resi portfolio at 50% gear with a mix of trust types with different partners + of course complex agency income, The other is a Singagpore based ex pat with a similar size portfolio, more basic structure, but expat complications. Anyhow, they were great to interview, but no use for the YMM demographic as their situation is way too complex. However stay tuned, I hope to get them into Investment Property Mag.

There are two standout things I noticed about that broker. Their website is disgusting and they do a really bad job of overcoming the 'too good to be true' stigma for some people. They told me their website is being overhauled, but they are doing just fine and want to take it slow and steady to 'maintain the standard'. Go figure.

So looking at your scenario, the LMI would probably have been cheaper, who knows by how much. Moreover, the ING 'genuine product' would be rebated to you at 0.15% paid monthly so that puts your ING Mortgage Simplifier at effective rate of around 5.09-.015 = 4.94%, or if you were eligible for smart pack then 5.03 – 0.15 = 4.88% vs. best MyRate of 4.99% for over 600K. Of course the broker would have done your paperwork too.

Not to mention that there are at least 3 other lenders that would kick the ING rate around the block by up to another 0.2% that you could also get with an ORP.

Anyhow, no use crying over spilt milk and on the bright side, you have a better tax deduction.

Sorry for the war and peace, however I was flamed elsewhere for not providing enough context up front. I hope this covers it.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The trouble with these mortgage managed type products is accessing equity in the future.  Sometimes it is not easy. Often the loans are mortgage insured no matter what the LVR is so you must overcome the LMI criteria too. Also the exit fees can be high.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @michael.lee

Thanks Terry,

That MAY be a problem however fees and LMI etc is somewhat independent of whether it is an originated/managed product or not. Very few originated products suffer the mortgage insurance issues you have sighted nowadays.

In terms of exit fees, penalties are no more the domain of originated products than they are of credit unions and banks. And you need to risk analyse that as well. Would you rather pay a higher rate every day, or risk a DEF that you may never pay, in exchange for an every day low rate? Depends on the individual, their plan and view.

The real problem is how they advertise more than anything else.

But just to be clear, ORP Brokers offer exactly the same products you do, i.e. retail lender products, not originated products (although some may also broker originator stuff). So there is no difference in product, just cost.

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Michael

Just out of curiousity how would a client benefit using an ORP Broker over a standard Broker when dealing with organisations like the NAB.

Participant
    @michael.lee

Good question Richard,

So a couple of quick responses which I hope covers this off for you.

This is the first time in this rather interesting post about Trust lenders that nab has been raised, so it begs the question of how they are relevant even on credit policy let alone pricing.

Assuming they are (I also presume you are not talking about Homeside), then NAB, who doesn't pay trails should be taken with a single rebate payment, or SRP.

At least one of the ORP Brokers I shopped offers a choice. You would then pick up between 25% and 32%  of the gross upfront commission (depending on which brokerage you use), so that money could then be parked against whichever debt works best for the borrower to extend it's value.

However Homeside (powered by NAB), generally offers lower priced products than retail NAB and have one of the most generous trail commission structures which would turbo charge the borrowers savings even further. i..e 0.35% p.a. at 6 years plus. This means that although it is an internally originated product, the borrower winds up with a NAB backed loan, at a lower retail cost and rebates to smash the effective rate even further. If the broker can't argue credit policy issues through, then stick with NAB and simply switch from ORP to SRP.

It is important to remember that NAB is just one of many lenders an ORP Broker might deal with and they are the only mainstream lender falling into the "no trails" category. Given they are expensive to start out with, the fact they don't pay trails for an ORP broker to pay you just ramps out how expensive NAB really is.

If you REALLY need a NAB solution, then it would make sense to deal with an ORP broker that offers you a rebate payment choice, take SRP on the NAB stuff, and ORP on anything else with trails. Then when you are ready to switch out of NAB, you have an existing relationship with your ORP Broker to smooth through the transition with ORP savings from the new lender (unless you prefer SRP).

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

@daniellee

Hi, Michael

Are you saying that Ongoing Rebate Plan (ORP) and Single Rebate Plan (SRP) brokers work in similar fashion to businesses like YourShare or InvestSmart, where a portion of the upfront and trailing fees and commission are reimbursed to the borrower?

Sound like a question that I asked in this forum a few months back about YourShare setting up a mortgage arm to refund fees and commission. Is this a case of getting what is paid for…. Pay less and get less in return from the broker?

Or am I going down the wrong path here?

Regards
    Daniel

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Michael

Yes i was referring to the NAB rather than Homeside for a reason and would disagree with you that Homeside offers a  lower priced product than retail NAB.

Personally in my experience the pricing depends on the relationship you have with the Business Development Manager the volume of Business you transact as well in NAB's case whether you are a 4 Star Broker.

I am unaware of any major lender who offers a 95% LVR on both investment and owner occupied properties for non customers in all security areas so again find the comment that NAB is expensive strange to comprehend.

Surely isnt part of the process in making a recommendation to a client factoring in everything from interest rate to credit policy and speed of service. The 2 lending channels have different credit teams and in some cases different credit criteria.

I often use lenders that pay absoluely no commission (Upfront or Trail) at all especially in the Commercial and Development arena and openly charge my clients a fee to be totally transparent. For example the Bank West Rate Tracker product when it was not available thru the Broker network.

How do ORP & SRP Brokers manage this situation ?

Participant
    @michael.lee

Gidday Daniel,

You're on the right track.

I only wrote about experienced models for YMM to offer some degree of certainty to the readership, although there are two standouts that are very green (i.e. a few years old), but it's slim pickings on ORP options because it seems to take a special and rare kind of business ethic.

And Yes also on the post. The scaremongering aimed at you was almost as impressive as it was wrong. It came from a place of ignorance, especially the furphy "you get what you pay for". Whilst that can be true, it's worth pausing to consider what you are getting and what you are paying.

On a $450,000, the ORP Broker still stands to make around $2,700, so they are still getting paid quite handsomely, even though they bonus the trailing commission to you. 

Adopting Richards lender example, Homeside, the trail on a $450k loan @ 30 years is close to $25,000 – much more if the loan is interest only (think about that next time a broker or lender recommends you take interest only).

It's also important to realise the MyRate product seemed cheap, but you could have gotten the real ING deal from ING Direct through an ORP broker for thousands less.

So you don't always get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay more and you get less.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.