All Topics / Help Needed! / Guidance on wood panelling

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of rp2606rp2606
    Participant
    @rp2606

Hi All

We have just purchased a property with very dark wood panelling and we are not sure what to do with it.

The panelling in most places is the actual wall, rather than being laid over the top of gyprock. It is not that laminate kind of panelling but actual hardwood panelling that would have cost the previous owners a fortune. I think is is probably varnished. The panelling has been laid in section 1 metre wide and it set on the diagonal. The skirting and beams are also dark wood. The carpet is almost brand new, but unfortunately is green with cream dots.

We intend to rent out the property and want to do a quick renovation before getting tenants in, so we think our options are to paint or to leave it. 

Will we get a better rental return with it painted or unpainted?

If we go with painting, has anyone painted hardwood panelling before? How should it be painted? Do we use a primer and then paint with a top coat? Or do we need to use a stripper for the varnish? What do you paint it with? A long nap roller or is this a brush job?

I was also thinking of staging the property with furniture and accessories for rental open for inspections (we have most of our own stuff, so this wouldn't be so costly, just time consuming). I thought that this would be a good way to detract from the fact that the walls are wood panelling. Do you think this could work?

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Cheers
    RP2606

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Hi RP. I would leave it alone. Once you paint something it will always require repainting. More of your time and cash…
    As you said its hardwood so it will be tough as nails.  The effect will be broken up by the tenants furniture, paintings wall hangings etc.  
    What are the wall colours? Perhaps repaint with off white walls and stock standard ceiling white.
    What is the lighting like? A few fluoros can do wonders.
    Windows.. are you gaining maximum light, no heavy Grandma curtains.
    Consider a skylight…$500. Still cheaper then removing the walls.
    Carpet .. consider dying it if its that gross. Tenants will see that its in good condition, a bonus.
    Re putting in furniture for inspection. Personally I like to see a blank canvas.
    At the end of the day its a rental and tenants expect and deserve something that is clean and tidy, which I'm sure it is. Cant do much about poor taste!

Profile photo of businessglobalbusinessglobal
    Participant
    @businessglobal

I would leave it – and just dress it up- I have a few homes in NZ that have this wood panelling with belt raisl also, I washed it down with eucalyptus wool wash, then I polished it up with olive oil- all natural products.

You could dress up the home a little by making sure the walls are freshly painted, some nice lights or nice art deco lights that are also a bit modern- go to recollections-  I would also make sure you have nice curtains/ blinds and the house is very clean, smells nice, put some nice potted colour in the gardens, and a nice potplant near the front door.

I normally clean my houses imaculately, clean all windows, tracks, kitchen cupboards, bathroom, put a nice lavender disinfectant, carpet powder,and I  put a nice fruit bowl full of fruit on the kitchen bench, and also a nice pot with a plant in at the front door and give this to the tenants as a gift.
    You could do a few simple things int he bath room like put candles, towels, plant, bath mat to make it look appealing.

If you hate the carpet so much – maybe this is only your personal feeling? maybe buy a nice floor runner from deco rug or carpet call- or maybe reduce the rent a little.
    As long as it is clean, doesnt smell, is fairly new

Some people love the wood panelling, and have sort of country or antique furniture. My houses that have it the people are normally 40 – 55 range as tenants and love the homely feeling.

Hope this helps
    Kylie

Profile photo of rp2606rp2606
    Participant
    @rp2606

Hi Kylie and Lalibella

Thanks for your input. You both asked me about the walls, suggesting painting the walls or asking about  the wall colour.

The wood panelling IS the walls. Sorry, I must have made it sound like it was something else, the ceiling perhaps? The whole walls are made of this stuff! So it is this very dark colour all the way up the walls to the ceiling. The ceiling is white, but the beams are a similar colour to the walls.

The carpet is not so bad, but the property is in Sydney's northern suburbs towards the beaches. It's in a prime location, so maybe I was just thinking it wasn't good enough for the expectation. Then again, maybe its just me. There's no way it will actually be changed at this stage, I just mentioned it as it might effect what people suggested.

The blinds are custom made hardwood venetian blinds that blend in with the wood panelling. Again that same dark colour. There is a quite a but of light as there are several windows all the way around the house.

Thanks again.
    RP2606

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Oh, my mistake. I misinterpreted ''The panelling has been laid in section 1 metre wide and it set on the diagonal" as being 1 metre high panelling as per Dado boards.
    Kind of changes things a little.
    A few choices: 1.  leave it alone and hope for the best. 2. Contrary to what I said, break out the paint brushes. Matt white / cream all round. 3. Gyprock over one wall as a feature or the whole room, one at a time. You could probably just remove the skirtings / architraves and let the gyprockers go for it. 4 Paint one wall only.
    I've seen some shockers but that must be up there in the bad taste department.
    It's all good though, not structural, just a pain and its certainly not urgent. From what you have disclosed people will rent it regardless.
    Would love to see some pics?
    Good luck, let us all know how you get on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.