All Topics / Finance / Taking equity from current PPOR for buying IP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of julitojulito
    @julito

Hi Experts,

I am a newbie in this investing world and I'm thinking of starting it now. so please be gentle on me :) I even just picked up the term PPOR and IP from this forum.

I am currently owning a home and I believe the value of the property has increased from $375K to around $550K based on the recent similar property sales around.

I am on IO loan all along and still owing $360K.

have spoken to my bank to increase my loan amount, but there is $1.5K fee in order to do this.
    Is this normal that I'd expect to pay this fee or there other better way of doing this.
    another thing is there is exit fee on my loan which currently 1.2% may be drop to 0.8% of $360K next year.

My plan is to use this equity to purchase my IP. but I'm also not sure if this is the best thing I should do. should I sell my current home, and buy IP and then rent?

Any info would be very helpful form me. Thank you.

Profile photo of Investment-MortgagesInvestment-Mortgages
    @investment-mortgages

Firstly congratulations on even thinking about buying an IP!!

Secondly 99.99% of the time- NEVER sell!(there are time whens its applicable though)
    it just cost too much, capital gains, mortgage break fees, agent fees…….(long list)

Equity release is usually the best way however everyone's situation is different.
    based on what you have estimated you have a loan to value ratio(LVR) of only 65%=
    (360 divided by 550)

Income and expenses dependent you could increase this up to around 90-95%
    495-522.5k  minus current loan leaves about 135k to play with.

This is enough to buy many IP's and leave some for servicing until rents increases and value adding
    pay more of loan repayments…

If you have a lending quote done make sure you use a broker(not a bank) who specialize in investment loans
    and have property investing knowledge.

This is a great place to learn lots from some really well educated people who are active investors!

Profile photo of michael k2michael k2
    @michael-k2

Hi Julito,
    Firstly, if your lender is going to charge you $1,500 to increase your exisiting loan limit, sounds like it's time to find a new lender. In order to obtain equity from your property your can either:
    – Increase the existing lending.
    – Refinance and obtain additional funds as part of the refinance process.
    – Sell your property.
    Some lenders do have early repayment fees on their loans which can be payable for up to 5 years from when the loan was taken out.

Whether you sell your existing property to get into IPs is totally up to you.
    There are pros and cons either way.
    Obtaining differing points of view will help you with your own plans.
    Best of luck.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

$1500 fee is way too much to pay. I would bite the bullet and get out of that lender now. Otherwise you will face the same problem every time you need more money.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of julitojulito
    @julito

Thanks Matt, Michael and Terryw, for the explanation, now I understand a little bit more about my situation.
    I'll talk again to the lender and also look around for some other option to get away from this lender.
    Hopefully, I found something attractive out there, may talk to some broker as well.

I read someone using LOC in this forum, what is this LOC actually and how does it work ?
    is this another option for me, if yes, what is the rate range for this ?

Thanks.

@julito

I've spoken to the lender. they said they can do it for $1300

From what I can think of is I have two options now for this equity access without selling the PPOR.
    And I also have a couple of question in regards to both.

1.Pay $1300 to the lender and get 80K if I borrow 80% and no LMI paid or pay LMI and borrow up to 90% or over.

I actually paid LMI for the 30 years term of the first loan as I borrowed 98%.
       Can anyone enlighten me  If I am going to borrow 90% of the house value now, do I have to pay a new LMI against 495K or just the different between 495K and 360K which is 135K.

Is it worth for me to pay the LMI and get 90% or am I better off just borrow 80% and avoid the LMI ?

2.Bite the bullet and pay the exit fees which is $2880 + $600 processing fees and refinance with other lender.
        My current rate is 4.87 shich I think quite good. but I may be wrong.
    any recomendation of lender/banks ?

What do you all think about my situation, any comments would be very helpfull.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Me thinks the reason why the rate is competitive is the fact that you have what can only be described as expensive set up or exit fees. I hate to see the actual comparison rate with your lender if the costs are that much.

Often many clients are rate driven and do not realise that the true of interest in considerably more than that quoted when you weigh up the other fees and charges.

On the mortgage insurance front this will vary from lender to lender but normally you will only pay the top up premium depending on the age of the loan.

More information would be required to make a structured recommendation.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Michael.LeeMichael.Lee
    Participant
    @michael.lee

Gidday Julito,

Firstly, the rate you have is okay if the loan is full featured, but it's a shagging if it's just a basic loan.

You can get a number of pretty good pro-packs for similar money and less. Most of these would execute your 'top up' for a couple of hundred dollars, so I am guessing you're on some kind of basic or intro (which is are virtually all basics with some honey for the bees).

However the most important step to consider taking is having your property professionally valued before you do anything. (i.e you pay a licensed valuer vs. getting a real estate agent to do a 'free' property appraisal)

This gives you a more solid feel for just how much equity you have realised and will be able to release. This number will be a key driver to many decisions including switching lenders, how much you can buy for etc. so it is a good starting point.

@julito

Thanks Richard and Michael for your reply,

Richard, I may be one of those people who are rate driven and didn't see what the future like, I think this is because my lack of knowledge and understanding and also this was my first loan. However, I'm learning now.
    What are those other information would be ? thanks.

Michael, I think my loan is quite basic or may be I don't know how to utilize them. I have offset account, online banking, bpay and I can split. that's all I know. I never use any other feature other than the online banking and bpay to pay my bills.
    I may look at that valuation option. My lender told me that they will arrange a valuation for me if I go ahead with this.but I understand what you mean that I'll better get independent valuer to get the fair number and make a move from there.

Just to give me understanding, let say the property valuation come out as $550K and with the situation that I described above, what would be my best step ?

Thanks,
    Marwoto.

Participant
    @michael.lee

Gidday Marwoto,

The fact that your loan has an offset account (provided that's what it actually is) suggests you're on a pretty fair wicket,

The fact that your lender is going to slug you for the top up is a little disappointing.

The next step is up to you, if the val holds @ $550K, you can, as you pointed out, get $80K out which means you can purchase at $400K (less costs) without worrying about LMI.

So can you make your IP purchase for that amount? i.e.can you find the right property with the capital gain and yield returns etc.

More importantly, although you get rental income, make no mistake that you will be almost doubling your debt so make sure you have done your numbers right to avoid winding up in the toilet.

Stay mindful that over the last 15 years, good variable rates (SVR) have averaged at around 7.09%, but spiked at 9.9% and in the last 5 years they averaged around 7.17% and peaked at 9.02% and you are thinking about this move at a time when interest rates are at record lows.

Although not an exhaustive list, here is some food for thought:

1. Find out how much equity you really have and remember to allow plenty of buffer for rate increases.

2. Think about fixing rates on the investment for the medium term.

3. If you find yourself daring enough to wander into LMI territory again, do it on the investment property.

4. Think about shopping the investment loan to a different lender and even if you don't, make sure you don't cross-securitise (sometimes called cross-collateralising).

5. Make sure you declare your top up as 'investment purposes'.

6. Keep the 'top up' as a separate split.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The loan rate sounds good and it you have an offset even better.

But the fee seems strange

Who is the lender?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

My question exactly Terry.

My feelings are it is not a true offset account but an redraw offset.

Be interest to know who the lender is.

@julito

Thanks Michael for your suggestion, that's very helpful for me.
    Now I have a checklist in my hand to watch for.

I'm using http://www.ratebusters.com.au/ my rates was a bit better compared to what they have now.
    I think they are a brokerage firm, but they don't reveal who is the real lender to me.
    I paid over $2K for establishment fees :(, but with the interest rates they gave me I've calculated this will be break even in 3 years time compared to other banks rate. and after that I can enjoy lower rate, so I bite the bullet and paid everything including the LMI. I'm sure I missed many things during considering this loan, for example the top-up fees, etc.

They said, my offset account is 100% offset, they gave me a visa debit card and I can use it everyday for free, unless I draw money from ATM which belong to other banks I think they'll charge $1.5 per transaction.

I can transfer money in and out without fees, I did transfer 100K out to overseas before, and it's all free. I only paid the interest on my loan as the offset is reduced.

am I having a true offset account ?

Participant
    @michael.lee

Gidday again Marwoto,

Ratebusters is a mortgage originator which, if it was in the UK, would be called a single tied mortgage broker. They are definitely an intermediary for the lender, not the actual lender. However the risks and benefits of how a mortgage originator operates are different to your run of the mill mortgage broker (no offence intended on the 'run of the mill' comment fellas).

I was going to guess you had the Fee Buster, but didn't want to get into brands here. I can't remember who that product went back to in 2007, but if you really want to find out who the actual lender is, just check your actual mortgage documents.

The bad news is you miscalculated on this loan, paid a hefty upfront fee to get in; have an okay headline rate, with shaggingly poor flexibility (or okay flexibility with shaggingly high per use fees). And for the moment you're probably a little locked in. If you wind up doing top ups, be wary on resetting the penalty clock.

Your headline rate of 4.87% hides the effective cost of your loan which is well higher that 5%.

For example, you're less than 3 years into the loan and you paid a 0.66% loading to set up (without mentioning the other massive setup costs).

This means using even the simplest of math, your effective rate is over 4.87% + (0.66% / 3) so 5.09%. Now I say over 5.09%, because you also paid that money upfront so when you add the time value of money, which I didn't do to keep the math simple, blergh.

Anyhow, spilt milk there I'm afraid, so let's keep moving forward.

I interviewed a fellow from RateBusters some time last year (his name escapes me).  We were talking about the offset account, because it's operation intrigued me a little as the lender was not an ADI. Anyhow, to cut a long story short, what he told me is that the offset account can sometimes go out of whack and not offset properly.

That's the bad news. The good news is, if you pick up offset errors and let them know, they will fix it. Other than that, it's an offset account.

Nonetheless, I think it might be an idea to get some financial advice BEFORE you do anything else (and I don't mean from a commission based financial planner) because it doesn't seem you have  a very robust plan in place, or the experience to put one together on your own. If you have managed to build your equity as you believe, then it would be a shame to blow it with a bad decision made with too little knowledge and too much dud information.

This is an interesting forum and offers valuable input, but it's not the place to use as foundation block for that type of knowledge.

If you have a spare $30, take a look at barefootinvestor.com and think about picking up Scott's book. His book is a best seller, has a nationally syndicated newspaper column etc. Most importantly, he's a good guy.

Tough first lesson on the first loan, but the upside is you've built some equity in spite of it, with very little money down. Make sure you get the next move right.

Participant
    @qlds007

Hate to say Marwoto the offset account is not a true offset facility.

They originate their funds from Firstmac here in Brisbane and the products are mirror imaged.

Just be very careful if you decide to rent the property as any interest on funds taken from the offset account will not be deductible.

Guess like anything with these mortgage originators they sell the rate alone as if the product was that good everyone would use them and we would have no use for any other lender.

Participant
    @michael.lee

Thanks Richard, it was too late in the day when I responded, I kept getting stuck on Maxis.

Although I agree that the offset seems to be doing very little if anything for Marwoto, this a combination of his knowledge, lifestyle and investment choices rather than support for your blanket generalisation that it's not a 'true offset'. Not to mention that there is no legal definition of what a 'true offset is'. I think your comment is misleading and unnecessarily disheartening to Marwoto.

Same too for flaming mortgage originators, or even Ratebusters for that matter. Although I'm not their biggest fan, it's hard to deny that for the right borrower profile it would be one of the top 10 picks and probably in the top half of that small field. It's just that Marwoto isn' t 'that' borrower. Horses for courses.

So the problem isn't so much with Ratebusters or their product, it is with the way that Marwoto compared, chose and now utilises his solution. With so much contradictory information out there and wild generalisation, it is no wonder Marwoto and people like him turn to rate, perhaps taking some support from media awards and industry recognition. Quite simply, his approach fell well short of a considered and proper comparison process. Hence my recommendation that he get some real, professional advice before moving ahead.

A final thought on originators. Like mortgage brokers, originators have and continue to play an important role in maintaining and increasing competitive tension in the market. This drives both product innovation and pricing competition, which  in the end benefits borrowers.

Figure out a way to get rid of originators and my guess is that mortgage brokers will be next on the list, followed closely by an end to the already limited pricing competition. I'm sure the big 4 are working on it.

Participant
    @qlds007

Sorry Michael i have to disagree with you and so do 5 of this Countrys top Bank lenders in your definition.

What is an offset account?
    A. An offset account is a separate savings account where the balance is offset daily against the loan amount. For example, if you have $5000 in your offset account, 'notional' interest is earnt on these funds, at the same interest rate as your linked loan. This 'notional' interest is offset against the interest payable on the loan.

I totally agree that he should get some proper financial advice althougbh as you are aware it is illegal for a mortgage broker unless he or she is a licensed financial planner to comment on offset accounts or similar financial models.

Not all Financial Planners charge high fees for their services and promote only managed funds. I for one direct the majority of my clients in the area of direct property investment as that is the way I acquired my wealth and enjoy sharing the knowledge and experience with other forum member.

Participant
    @michael.lee

Okay Richard, just a couple of quick corrections on your information.

Contrary to your assertion, It is not illegal for a mortgage broker to comment or even advise on any type of mortgage offset facility, provided they belong to an ASIC approved EDR (External Dispute Resolution) scheme such as COSL or FSO.

It's been that way since before brokers came about and was reaffirmed by ASIC in 2003 with the formalisation of the FSRA (except of course the FSO was the BFSO back then). The ASIC media release can be found here: http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/03-388+ASIC+grants+relief+in+relation+to+mortgage+offset+accounts?openDocument

In terms of your offset references, you seem to have strayed from the original term that I thought of as misleading. That is 'true offset' or to put it in your words 'not a true offset facility'.

There are two offset facilities that Marwoto has available to him under his present structure and lender. The loan itself and the other, admittedly more mysterious offset account.

Both of these facilities offset as legally defined, which was one of my points. And both of these, according to Ratebusters offset daily balances (barring the system glitch I mentioned earlier – which may or may not have been fixed by now). So Marwoto should be able to feel okay about them, which was my other point.

Whilst I respect your experience, if you take enough issue with calculation ,methods, fees etc of the Ratebuster product as to put Marwoto's choice down so harshly, why not be specific so all readers can understand what you mean. Point out the facts, the detail that forms the basis of your assertion.

Why not explain how neither of these facilities qualify, in your opinion, as a 'true offset facility'.

Be a part of the solution, rather than a part of the generalisation problem and certainly don't just become another spruiker for 5 of the Countries top bank lenders. They're big enough and loaded enough to do that themselves.

And for the record, I'm pro-borrower before I'm anything. And I'm not a mortgage broker or a financial planner.

But enough about me, what exactly is the shortcoming that you see with Ratebusters offset facility?

@julito

Thanks Michael and Richard, surely your discussion are very informative and have benefited me.
    I'll have to re-read them again and again tho, to digest them completely, as I'm not very familiar with a lot of the terms.

Just to clarify my understanding about my offset account. To me I don't actually earn interest from my money/funds in my offset account, that's why I don't have to pay tax on those interest because I never earned them. However, the total amount of that offset account will reduced/offset the total amount of my loan daily, hence the interest charged is only to the remaining amount in the loan account.
    For example : My loan is 360K and I have 100K in my offset, the interest is only charged on the 250K, I think because the lender consider that I borrow 100K less. Is my understanding correct ?

Michael, is there any tools or service that I can use to check if they have offset my account correctly ?
    Since I have this loan and offset account, I trusted the calculation 100% to ratebuster or maybe firstmac. so, I thought everything will always be fine.

Is being ADI lender make a lot of different to a borrower like me ?

You are right Michael, that I don't have robust plan, or even the capability to plan it myself. so far I just work to earn my money and put my money in my offset account to reduced my loan interest charged that's all, nothing more, it's just recently I am interested to see what other people do with their money and I come to see this website.

do you have any real professional, non-commission based financial planner that you can recommend to me ?

Sure I'll get Scott's book and also read your article in edition 26 next month (never read magazine so far).

Thanks.

Participant
    @qlds007

Julito

Where are you based.

As a Financial Planner with PIS one of the Country's largest Financial Planning Groups i maybe able to point you in the right direction depending on where you are based.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.