All Topics / Legal & Accounting / questions on tricky ‘salary sacrifice” techniques

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of Coogee126Coogee126
    Participant
    @coogee126

Hi, Good day ,

First of all, I want to recommend a good book called " saving tax on your investment property" by Julia Hartman and Noel Whittaker. it's very good and easy to understand. I found one techniques in the book quite useful. below is my question, if you happen to know the answer. Pls help. Thanks very much!

It mentioned " salary sacrifice trick" which is done by asking the high income earner to salary sacrifice all the rental expenses. this is only required high income be jointly liable for expenses. Not necessary equally.  I was wondering if this is correct, as if this is the case, then the home maker mum can hold 99% of prop and high income dad can hold 1% then salary sacrifice for the whole deduction. And when it comes to selling , CGT is much lower as high income dad is only hold 1%.  This is the same effect as setting up a discretionary trust !

Has anyone heard of this before? If this strategy is legal and doable, Does the title has to be hold under "tennants in common " or "Joint tenants" Or it can be both?  Any drawback on this strategy? I've ask a few accountants, they claimed never heard of this . plus Will ATO view this as a obvious tax avoidance behaviour?

Profile photo of rochowczykrochowczyk
    @rochowczyk

Hi Coogee,

I think ATO will view  this as a tax avoidance behaviour. You should seek ATO's ruling before you undertake this strategy. Better be save than sorry.

Cheers Greg

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

I was under the impression that this had been stopped by the 2008 budget for arrangements like that entered into after the budget and for people who had been already doing that that it stopped from 1 April 2009

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

yes, this 'loophole' has been closed.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Coogee126Coogee126
    Participant
    @coogee126

Thanks very much !! Much appreciated !!

Profile photo of The ChaserThe Chaser
    Participant
    @the-chaser

Hi Coogee

I have also bought the same book a while ago and found it very interesting.  I still refer to it regularly.  The copy I bought had a white sticker/label inside the front cover with a '2008 Budget Update'.  As mentioned by others above, it advised that in the May 2008 budget the Government had effectively announced that it would change the law regarding the otherwise deductible rule in relation to jointly owned assets.   This in turn stopped people utilising the 'salary sacrifice strategy' outlined in the book effective from 13 May 2008 (or if you were already using this strategy you had until 31 March 2009 to rearrange your affairs).

The strategy would have been perfect for us as hubby is a high income earner whilst I am very low income and stay home mum.  We have since considered using a DT, but the lack of negative gearing gving rise to losses being trapped in the trust is a sticking point.  Asset protection is an issue for us though, so trusts are preferred.  A few people lately have suggested using a unit trust with a corporate trustee with hubby borrowing funds to purchase all units. This would enable negative gearing but I can't see how asset protection is any better than using hubby's own name.  Sounds like asset protection comes via the person suing you being given the run around until they give up!  Apparently you simply keep establishing a new corporate trustee to control the trust each time the current corporate trustee is named in the action.  Is this just when the action has come from the tenants – meaning they would be suing the trust as owner of the property?  If hubby is sued however  he could be forced to redeem his units – would this force the sale of the underlying asset to realise the capital component (as the forced sale of income units would simply pay back the loan)?  I think I have just confused myself further!

Angela

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Angela.

Yes, units are consider property of the owner. so not asset protection. An interest in a discretionary trust is not property until a declaration of distribution is made. There have been some exceptions in a recent case (Richstar), but there were cases after this that did not follow that decision. Anyway a DT is the safes way to go, but lack of negative gearing can be a problem. A way around this is to try to divert some other income into the trust to offset the loss.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of The ChaserThe Chaser
    Participant
    @the-chaser

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply.  It's refreshing to have someone say straight out the reality of each trust and not try to massage the situation to 'make it fit' our needs.  Our undertsanding matches with your explanation.  I've since found out that the main accountant who was recommending we consider a unit trust given our negative gearing dilemma, was actually still using hybrid trusts until about 6 weeks ago.  He promotes his unit trust  as having discretionary aspects – sounds a lot like a HDT but worded in reverse to satisfy lenders?!  Needless to say this made us a little nervous about the quality of his advice.    

In regards to offsetting losses, unfortunately we only have personal services income and so we have had to rule out the possibility of diverting other income into a DT at present.  The best we have come up with is if our next IP is negatively geared and held in a DT, our strategy then would be to purchase a postively geared IP in the same trust, so losses on one can offset gains on the other.  Our less preferred option is to buy in my husband's name (if a negatively geared IP) and leverage the property as highly as possible to achieve asset protection this way.  Downsides of course would be future CGT (if we sold) would be calculated at the top rate and could easily outstrip cumulative tax benefits to that date.  Plus we would have to regularly review our capital growth (equity) position and seek to increase our finance facility to maintain maximum leveraging and thus asset protection – of course we would need to have actually invested/spent the extra equity dollars to secure the higher leveraging.

I guess anyone who only has healthy personal services income and a potential asset protection issue would be in the same boat as us.  We just have so many people around us saying we should be aiming to get hubby's tax bill down to zero (big ask!).  Me – I think I prefer the comfort of knowing our assets are protected for the long term albeit with a tax tradeoff (and lower cash flow).    

Angela

Profile photo of Coogee126Coogee126
    Participant
    @coogee126

Hi , Angela

Yes, understand your situation. I think It's quite risky to maximum out on LVR for the sake of 'asset protection".   as your wealth is measured by how much equity you have rather than how big your loan is.  I also doubt if leverage to the max will really protect your asset, in my view, when you borrow up to the maximum, it is not your asset anymore. it is the bank's asset.

if asset protection is vital to you, then I suggest you stick to your first option, set up DT and buy postively geared IP to offset the loss. Or buying IP with your super fund.

my two cents.

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Angela

I think the main problems lenders have, or had, with HDTs was that the owner of the property would be the company whereas the loan needed to be in the unit holders name. Having a loan in someone other than the owners name can create legal problems down the track if things go wrong. I don't think tax issues were of any concern to lenders.

As for your accountant, HDTs have been known to be 'faulty' for about a year or more now. The ATO put out some alerts about them ages ago too.

With the PSI why not talk to a few different accountants to try to work out a way to get around the income being classified as PSI. Maybe your husband can sub-contract some of the work out to you as trustee of XX trust for example. This may help get some of the income into the trust to offset the losses.

Email Me

Profile photo of vinnyboyvinnyboy
    @vinnyboy

Hi,
    The difference between PSI and PSB is that to get to PSB for the Trust, I need to find 2 direct clients (I'm working as IT consultant and most of my jobs are through recruitment agents which is not satisfy direct clients rule).

Therefore, my question is can negative gear property under DT can be deducted against PSB income or the PSB income is being treated as PSI income here, therefore, no deduction? If I can't deduct, I prefer not try to satisfy PSB because it is very hard to satisfy PSB by trying to get an IT job directly and with 2 clients.

Thank you.

Participant
    @terryw

VB i am not sure what a PSB is, but I know what PSI is and if your income is classed as PSI it cannot go through the trust so you cannot offset the loss.

There may be other ways of getting at least some of your income into the trust – such as leasing equipment owned by the trust. Sub-contracting to the trust etc.

You need a good tax advisor who can run thru it with you.

Email Me

Profile photo of vinnyboyvinnyboy
    @vinnyboy
    Terryw wrote:
    VB i am not sure what a PSB is, but I know what PSI is and if your income is classed as PSI it cannot go through the trust so you cannot offset the loss.

There may be other ways of getting at least some of your income into the trust – such as leasing equipment owned by the trust. Sub-contracting to the trust etc.

You need a good tax advisor who can run thru it with you.

Hi Terry,
    PSB is Personal Services Business, ie if you can satisfy rule like 80% and 20% rule and they are direct marketing, ie jobs / work / contract are NOT obtained via recruitment agents.
    Cheers,
    Vinny

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.