All Topics / Finance / Owner builder LVR of 60%, but what if the owner IS a builder?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

It is my understanding that owner builders are subjected to tighter LVR restrictions of about 60%. I assume this is because there is a higher risk that an inexperienced owner builder could have a large budget blow out and not complete the job. Leaving the bank with an unfinished asset to sell off.

If the owner has a fixed price contract with a builder the risk of a budget overun or incompletion is much less, so a higher LVR is allowed.

My question is, why is a registered builder subjected to the same LVR as an owner builder when financing for their own new home?

Surely the fact that a builder spends everyday estimating and budgeting for building work during the course of their business the risk of a budget blow out on his own house would be reduced. Also the bank only releases the funds upon inspection of each stage so its not possible to run off to the TAB and put all the loan on a horse, or use it for other purposes.

Another interesting part of the banks view of this situation is that the builder/owner builder must get another builder to sign off on the budget for his own house.

I would have thought that being a builder would be an advantage when seeking finance for their own home.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

yes it is hard, especially now.

I have one client who is a builder and wants to build his own projects. Actually had 2 clients, both were low doc types and I used to put them to Latrobe – but they will not do owner builder loans anymore. No one will – as a low doc.

St George do, or used to, on a full doc basis.

I don't know why they deem it more risky. Probably because of the potential to exploit the project – but they have valuers to check don't they.

A way around it is to get a friend who is a builder to make the contract, and then you sub-contract to them. But then there are various issues with warranty etc, and they won't want to do this for free.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.