All Topics / General Property / Risks involved in “Rent to Buy”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of GOODorGOODGOODorGOOD
    @goodorgood

Hi all,

I'm interested to know what kind of risks involved in "Rent to Buy" deal from an investor's point of view. Here I'm talking about a situation where an investor and a vendor financing body (who take care of the legal side of things, finding a buyer and a property) work together as a joint venture to equally share profits.

I would like to know whether the risks get equally shared between the 2 parties or most of it affect the investor, being the owner of the property?

What kind of worse case scenarios I should consider in such a deal…

Please throw your ideas…

Cheers

Profile photo of donWdonW
    @donw

Hei GorG

All I know is it is an attractive way of entering in to positive cash flow properties. But you need to be clear with the terms in the agreement with the other party.

What would happen if the buyer defaults the payments in two months in to the contract? then you being the title holder will have to make sure you got enough to cover your loan repayments and rates, and if the property is in an area where there is no much potential for growth, you might have problems in selling (if you want to) your property for a better price.

Good luck…

Profile photo of GOODorGOODGOODorGOOD
    @goodorgood

How many different  kinds of "Rent to Buy" strategies are there today? such as Lease-Options….

Cheers

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I did 6 of these many years ago and would not touch them again.

The major risk is being locked into a option with the tenants benefiting more than you do. Don't allow long term options.

Other risks include being taken to the residential tenancy tribunal and being forced to pay the rates yourself (maybe gotten around by building this into the price of the rent). Problems with repairs maybe.

In my experience, you may gets slightly higher rents during the period, but you will get lower than market value when they cash out. That makes it harder to repeat as you will have limited funds available and the market will be more expensive to buy into again.

There is also the opportunity cost. You will eat up your borrowing capacity and miss out on other deals as your funds will be tied up.

Is your joint venture partner a licenced real estate agent? If not, will they be breaking the law by collecting the rent and managing it all for you?

I would strongly advise to be very careful in entering a deal like this. Feel free to email more details if you want me to look at it further.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of GOODorGOODGOODorGOOD
    @goodorgood

Terry,

Cheers for your advice.

When the deal produces an attractive  positive cash flow, how would it affect my borrowing capacity? Wouldn't it increase my borrowing power as a result?

What is your opinion on that?

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.