All Topics / Value Adding / to restump or not to restump …

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

a drama with the new place.  the building inspection came back.  we are definitely still purchasing the property cos its so cheap, but we dunno what to do about the stumps.

they are 6 foot stumps, and they arent in the best condition.  there is termite damage and wood rot, and the floors arent level.  i would just get them restumped, but im not planning on leaving the house there for more than about 5 years.  the building inspector and also the restumping company (because I got two opinions) have both told me that the current stumps would last the 5 years, but not easily, they said its doable but its pushing it.  my problem is that the house is in mackay which is a tropical climate … meaning cyclones.  im not saying they definitely would fall down in a cyclone, but u never know.  i like to err on the side of caution normally.  but i have two companies saying they will be fine. (but they didnt sound convinced).

im having another stumping company take a look tomorrow.  and if i have THREE opinions saying they will be fine for another 5 years ill leave them alone.

my instincts are in overdrive though.  what if a bad cyclone came through mackay and the stumps didnt hold like the professionals say they should, I would be devestated if something bad happened to my tenants.

if you were in this situation would you restump (for around $8000 – $10,000) or would you leave the dodgey stumps alone?  to my untrained eye they look pretty bad, especially one.

Profile photo of Darren BradyDarren Brady
    @darren-brady

I restumped 11 in a house in Derby WA, My advice is if you can get them done for less than a hundred each then pay. if not do them your self not technically hard but phicically hard work, or just put extra ones in fror support and leave the old ones where they are.

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

I'm with Darren,

Not difficult to replace yourself, but is phisically hard work. Saves on gym though.

I believe that this is an issue that could keep you up at night, so how well do you want to sleep for the next 5 years?

Read up on it and you can do 2 or 3 every Sat for a few weeks, should only take 3 or so hours each time. Easy days

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

i forgot about this thread :) 

the next builder reminded me that Mackay had really bad flooding lastyear in February, and he stated that the stumps survived that.  it was like the worst flooding in mackay's history.  So if it survives that, then they are in good enough condition.

but, if i cant manage to purchase nextdoor ive decided to restump the house – but im going to leave it a year so its tax deductable.  the quote I got was $11,000 for the full restump.  and another $13,000 to replace the concrete flooring.

and, if i do manage to get nextdoor's property then i wont restump cos i will develop instead.
    <br /:D” title=”>:D” class=”bbcode_smiley” />

u are right adrien, i couldnt sleep if i wasnt planning on replacing them ever

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

sounds like a plan Karen! You probably already know this but works like restumping you can't claim as a one off expense for that financial year. It will have to be spread over (?7?) years on a depreciation schedule. We restumped a little cottage that was our PPOR and it was done in 2 days.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.