All Topics / Finance / How long to obtain a bank loan?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of KoozKooz
    @kooz

Hi all,

I am just trying to get some feedback on the length of time it has taken anyone recently to get a loan approved from scratch. I am going through the process with a mortgage broker and I'm not sure if its him or the bank who are dragging their heels.

Regards

Karen

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Depends on the bank. All seem to be running very slow at the moment. Will also depend on the valuer. Probably take around 2 weeks if everything goes smoothly.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Will vary from lender to lender.

For some 3-4 weeks is normal others we are getting pre-approvals in 48 hours.

Sometimes if your Broker is not 4 Star rated or not on the Banks Premier panel his / your application will not be given any form of priority but as i say it depends on who the loan is with.

Even if the progress is s low your Broker should be able to give you updated information.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of bb8bb8
    Participant
    @bb8

Recently got my loan, it took us 10 working days, was nerve wrecking though, and would not recommend leaving things so late. In case paperwork not completed properly etc. The valuation took 2 days. Good luck with your application!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I just had to ring Bankwest and was advised they are taking 15 days now. Working days = 3 weeks

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Kooz,

THis is really a 'how long is a piece of string' question at the moment – although it should'nt be.
    There are so many variables, and a lot will depend on whether you want (or mean) a 'subject to' approval, ( or conditional ) or an unconditional one. Unconditional means you have found the house, the bank has had it valued to their satisfaction (usually from the contract of sale if it is in the same state) and you have been issued with a formal offer, meaning the actual loan documention to sign.
    Additionally, bank verification requirmements have also tightened up, also adding to dealys, especially if you have not provided the relevant statments, proof of income etc. That said, if you supply everything asked for there is no reason why you could not get an approval withinn 3 or 4 days, and then be waiting for docs from ANY bank – some will still do 'same day' or within a couple of days easy.
    Having only a 5 or 10% deposit will take longer. Not all of the major banks have automatic lenders mortgage insurance – meaning you need approval from the insurer as well – there is another 4 or 5 days – before they even verify all the info you have given them – and then have to do a valuation.
    Unfortunately, due to what has happened in the industry, loans forwarded or presented by mortgage brokers are considered to be a higher risk as well – which is reflected in assessments – and if you have made a few applications for 'proper' preapprovals and thus have a few enquiries on your credit file, this can add to dealys as your banker or broker sends your loan app to the lenders credit department to try and get the declined or 'defer/refer' decision actioned.
    I had a broker I know recently forward me an application that had been with W-s-p-c for FOUR WEEKS without a response! HAve also heard CBA are quite slow at the moment.
    The important lesson out of all this is under no circumstances should you let a real estate agent bully you into only putting 7 0r 10 days on your subject to finance clause – as it can simply be cutting things too fine. Maybe a year ago – but not now – times have changed. A good agent should appreciate this, or work with it on your behalf.

All the best!

Cheers

Profile photo of KoozKooz
    @kooz

Wow!

This is all very en-lightning.

FYI papers (via a mortgage broker, all info supplied, with 20% deposit) was submitted on 27th April to NAB.

Had to continually chase the mortgage broker for updates (not going back to that one!)…. now the bank is advising the tenant (in a regional country town) is holding up the valuation process (when the tenant has been helpful in all other matters).

Don't you just love the learning curve that property investing gives you?

Have already made an appointment with a bank direct to get pre-approval for the next IP.

On a roll!

Karen

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Karen

Could possibly be true as NAB dont do internal valuations unless the loan is Lodoc so maybe a problem with the loan itself.

Of course there is no excuse for your Mortgage Broker keeping you updated as to the progress on the application.

NAB have the same credit channel as we do as Brokers so the progress wont be any swifter.

Easy answer is to use another Mortgage Broker.

@kooz
    Qlds007 wrote:
    NAB have the same credit channel as we do as Brokers so the progress wont be any swifter.

If this is the case, what advantages are there of going through a mortgage broker v's going through the bank direct?

(This might be an ideal question for those mortgage brokers to strut their stuff )

As mortgage brokers obtain a 'commission' (not sure of the right term here), could you theoretically ask your bank for some kind of 'discount' or fee wavier if you deal straight with them (the bank) – as the bank would earn more money with the client dealing with them directly as apposed to through a broker?

Karen

Profile photo of gibbo1gibbo1
    Participant
    @gibbo1

Kooz,

There are many different advantages going with a broker over a bank, if the broker is well trained and knowledgagle.  Most brokers should be able to recommend good products for you.  They will cut down on the time to "shop around" different lenders comparing different products with different conditions and fees.  If your broker is proactive they should be able to keep you up to date with the progress.

If your income doesn't all come from 1 employer paying you wages then a good broker will also know how different lenders will treat the different forms on income or the time frame you must be employed with them for.  If you have defaults on your file then brokers should be able to notify you of lenders who are more or less likely to consider you application.

The main advantages come into play when you start getting into investment properities, or wish to in the future. If you go to the banks they will try to tie all of your properities (PPOR & IP) together in the same mortgage documents.  If one property loan goes bad the bank can choose which property/ies they sell. Good mortgage brokers should be able to set up loans to ensure you get maximum protection and maximum tax benefits.

Anyone can ask a bank directly for a discount on their home loan.  Good mortgage brokers will also get discounts for their clients as they should know what a lender is willing to offer

Participant
    @qlds007

Thanks Gibbo

I think you just saved me 10 minutes typing a similar worded reply.

Sure anyone can walk into a Bank and apply for finance but which Bank and how do you structure it.

Dont tell me the Bank are going to tell you the lender down the road has a better serviceability formula than us and their offset product is 100% transactional and will save you more money. Or they require the loans cross collateralised and have little knowledge or care about your asset protection as long as they are well secured.

I could so my own conveyancing but i dont as i trust my purchases to someone who knows what is right for me and protects my interest as much as anything.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

I agree BUT the 'key' is finding a good mortgage broker .

The advantages will outweigh the disadvantage if you have a good mortgage broker.

@v8ghia
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Hi Karen

Could possibly be true as NAB dont do internal valuations unless the loan is Lodoc so maybe a problem with the loan itself.

Kooz may have this as a problem, as the above is no longer the situation – I am aware NAB has been asking for internal valuations (or even a short form val from a panel valuer in some cases) for a couple of months now – generally on the higher LVR or high risk / broker introduced deals.

So lets hypothosize (I'm sure I spelt that wrong…) THe Nab guy goes out to the rural area, once, may be twice in a week if you are lucky. (maybe even a special trip – depneds on the area). IF the tennant is at work, or cannot be there at the exact time the valuer/inspections person is there, and he/she cant get in, they won't hang around. I can easily see how with a bit of a misunderstanidng, and bad timing you could lose a couple of weeks there quite easily.
    I have heard of great tennants being a bit uncooporitve with valuations as they naturally assume they are going to be moving soon anyway.

Unfortunately, there is a slower application time now across the board.

If a good broker is found, the main thing they will be able to do is ensure you dont make the mistake of runing around wasting time, getting loan 'pre approvals' , (getting several credit checks done, which shows up on your credit file) , but instead working out which lender (hey, there's only four main ones now really, much as it really pains me to say) is best suited to your circumstances/situation.  
    Or if you are a 'textbook borrower' with a good deposit and asset position, they can simply find you one of the most competitive deals, Hopefully, they should be able to advise which bank is most likely to approve you, and then hold your hand throught the process, rather than going through the bank 'interrogation process' yourself. That is really the main advantage nowadays.

Cheers.

Profile photo of enaajaenaaja
    @enaaja

Hi

Anyone getting finance these day's should suggest a finance clause of 21 day's if possible and a settlement date of at least 60 day's.

It is getting very difficult with the banks, as mentioned  in above posts, depending on what bank, it may take as quick as 48 hours to 4 weeks (where I know ANZ is at the moment).

Unfortunatley it is not the brokers fault, though he should have warned you previously with the process and timing.

Regards

Rob Bologna
    Dollar Wise Financial Services
    [email protected]

Profile photo of jazamitejazamite
    @jazamite

We submitted an application to Westpac via a broker about 6 weeks ago.  The loan for a refinance was approved conditionally within a few days.  However since then it has been a farce.  We received a call from the valuer who avised they wanted to do an internal inspection (same valuer from 14 months prior!).  Then the next day our broker support officer emailed me asking for details of the property as they were only doing a drive by.  Phoned the valuer back who comfirmed they had already booked an internal valuation via our property manager.  After they cut the guts out of the valuation (around 10% – 15% less than what has sold in the area) I finally got a call last week from my broker to advise it has been formally approved and a letter with be forethcoming.  Now today I recieve an email from my broker as Westpac QA team have run their eyes over the deal and have a serious of questions of which the broker has to my understanding presenting this information to them already!!  After 6 weeks of pain I am not any closer to refinancing my loan and I dont understand why it is taking so long.  Any suggestions?

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Jaz

Hate to say that is a common timeframe and Westpac are not alone.

For the Q&A department to be involved the must suspect some information in the application needs clarification or is not correct so might be a little longer.

Unless it is a lodoc application we wouldnt use Westpac for a refinance as you can do lot better in a lot less time without the stress.

Profile photo of jazamitejazamite
    @jazamite

Thanks for your comments Richard.  We just seem to be going around in circles with Westpac atm.  I thought a refinance was easy so didnt really care who I went with.  What funder is a better option for a refinance?  Thanks     

Participant
    @qlds007

Hard to comment when i havent all the personal details.

@kooz

Wow,

Thanks to you all. Your information and points of view are something very worthy to think about.

Now thinking ahead… has any one had dealing with       propertyinvestingfinance.com   .  I understand they are somehow linked to propertyinvesting.com.   Can anyone shed any light?

Karen

@v8ghia

Kooz, without more details it is hard to say – however, if you had a 20% deposit (I know most dont – but this is an example) a regular income from full time employment, and can service the loan, ANY bank branch that can not give you same day (you may need to make an appoinment of course) conditional approval you should walk out an go next door to the next bank.
    As has been mentioned, higher % borrowings, and perhaps other issues that you need to have verified by the lender can easy drag any deal way out itme wise.

Cheers 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.