All Topics / Help Needed! / Can I use my property as security?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of marsmacmarsmac
    Participant
    @marsmac

Hi everyone,

Quick finance structure question.

I have an investment property owned jointly with my mum.

Can I use this property as security to purchase another investment property in my wife's or a trust's name?

Thanks,

Martin

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes you could, but …. it may be complicated as you and your mum will have to guarantee.

A possibly better way would be to extra funds and lend to your wife or trust.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Agreed messy to go forward the way you suggest.

Lot easier solutions out there.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of marsmacmarsmac
    Participant
    @marsmac

Thanks for your replies.

What other solutions can you suggest without possibly having to buyout my mum's 50% share (to avoid CGT issues)?

I want to use the equity in my current investment property (whether held in my name or jointly) to purchase a second/third/forth investment property (in a trust structure or in my wife's name). You mentioned it was better not to secure the property or go as guarantor.

Are there another solutions you can suggest besides buying out my mum's 50% share?

Thanks,

Martin

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Martin

The cleanest way is for both of you to take out a loan secured against the jointly owned property to cover the deposit and the acqusition costs and then the partnership lends this to you/ your wife or the Trust at the same interest rate as you are being charged.

The new entity takes out a standalone loan possibly with an alternative lender to purchase the new IP.

Your mortgage broker should be able to give you some ideas and source a suitable lender for you.

Hope this helps.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

You can get a line of credit loan in your name secured against the joint owed property.
    However the bank will require your mother to go to a solicitor to have the legal implications of this sort of arrangement and the risks involved to her explained . The solicitor then stamps the loan paper work and signs it.
    This is required by the banks to protect themselves, as borrowers have borrowed money against a security without the other person fully understanding the legal implications
    When things have gone pear shaped the other joint owner has simply claimed they had no understanding or knowledge of what they were signing and that it wasn't explained to them properly and the contract has become null and void and the bank loses money.

I have done the above and spoken with the solicitor that is how I know about this situation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.