All Topics / Help Needed! / success stories

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of 1428 12391428 1239
    Participant
    @1428-1239

I am new to the world of property investing and i can appreciate how the experienced investors on here get frustrated at the same questions being posted like how to start out (which i myself asked only a few weeks ago) and what to do when you have limited capital or cash so im going to start a thread like adam did for + cashflow deals for people to tell how there first deals went and any other successful ones afterward. I'm sure us newbies would learn alot from these real-world delas and all can be directed to this thread.

so experienced investors, we would love to hear you story.

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

May I suggest that such a thead could also contain non success stories.  Many of us have learned much from our mistakes.  These stories might also be a good inclusion in such a thread.
    S

@shales

OK, I'll go first.
    This is a non success story (OK, I'll say it, a FAILURE)
    Getting all excited about the mining boom in a nearby town, we entered into what looked like an exciting opportunity to subdivide/reconfigure a few blocks of land and resell.  The agent was a local Councilor (as in local govt, not as in psych), smoothly made it sound like we could make $200K in a few months.  There was a lack of other information available to us on the market. No local paper.  No local property manager.  A couple of agents operating locally.  The RPData report wasn't current enough to keep pace with the fast moving market.  Council had a subdivision of their own underway, and we felt sure we would be finished and sold before them.  In the absence of other information, I relied too heavily on the opinion of the agent.  Big mistake.  Our ability to make money out of the project hinged on our abilty to complete within a certain timeframe.  Things started to go wrong before the contract became unconditional.  The bank wasn't happy.  A broker found me alternate finance that leveraged everything we had.  There was trouble getting a shed demolished in time for a surveyor to do his job (the shed was in his way).  Council dropped their price for blocks in the new subdivision below our price.  There was trouble getting services put in within our timeframe, then a building report came in with one of the residences having a leaking roof.  In the end if started to feel that the world was conspiring against us with the whole deal, and we exited the contract using the clause about us being unsatisfied with the building report.  We lost a few grand in the cost of valuations, and council approval for the subdivision, but the relief was immense.  A few months later, interest rates started to rise.  The council subdivision didn't sell.  Then the global economy started to shake. 

What did I learn?  If you  can't get good information, don't substitute with bad info from a RE agent.  Give the deal a miss.  
    Talk to your financier first, don't get your heart set on a deal that will cause you to be over leveraged.  Allow for your timeline to at least DOUBLE.  Be prepared to exit a contract, losing a few thousand dollars, rather than risking everything.  There is no substitute for intimately knowing a market yourself, rather than relying upon the opinions of others.  Vendors who are selling potential development sites will often have priced the site as if it were already developed, leaving little or no margin for the actual developer.  They know it is valuable real estate and are trying to capitalise on that without actually carrying out the development themselves.  Make sure your contract has plenty of good ways out.

@shales

I should say that we also have success stories, but they were more accidental and there isn't much to learn from them.
    S

Profile photo of glen gglen g
    @glen-g

Hi 14281239,
    Here's a bit of a success story to hopefully get you pumped to get out there and find one of your own.

I live on the Gold Coast and a couple of years ago became interested in a little coastal town in SA after reading an article in API.  After a bit of research and making a few offers i jagged one.  I offered the asking price ($105K) because the market there was on the boil at the time.  The offer was accepted so i arranged a flight down there the following weekend.  In the meantime i contacted a local builder and arranged for him to meet me at the house so we could go through it together.  When we got there we dicovered that the house would need quite a bit of work done on it to bring it back to it's former glory but other wise it was still quite liveable.  The current tennant was happily paying $90pw on a month-to-month basis and had no intentions of leaving. 

The builder estimated that it would need $10K put back into it based on what he could see but after a bit more discussion agreed with me that the figure would likely blow out to $20-$25K once he got stuck into it.  Based on the revised repair figures i withdrew my offer of $105K and told the agent I'd only be prepared to pay $85K and asked him if he had any other listings he'd like to show me.  We looked at a few more that he had but none really suited me. 
    Later that day the agent phoned to tell me he'd presented my new offer and that the vendors would sell at $87K.  I accepted on the condition the tennant sign a 6 month lease at $120pw and he did without batting an eye lid.

9 months later i needed some cash for a reno on the Goldie so I had the SA deal valued and it came in at $130K, 49% more than what i originally paid.  I still own it today and it's currently rented at $140pw.

Hope that story's helpful.
    Happy house hunting

Profile photo of PentalPental
    @pental

I'm new at this and not completly certain of the mathmatics but it seems to me that if you add your purchase price of $87K plus stamp duty & fees etc plus the $25K Reno you mentioned (what are we up to now – about $116K give or take) then the actual increase is more like 12%. That's still not bad so well done.

On another note I'm not sure how this property fits in the CF+ bracket as the yield is only just above 5% (based on the approximate $116K)

Please let me know if I'm way wrong. As I say I'm very green at this.
    Thanks

Profile photo of glen gglen g
    @glen-g

Hi Pental,

Sorry i should've been clearer with my description of this deal.  The estimate of $20-$25K in repairs was fairly accuate but to date i've only had to spend $120.00 on a leaking water pipe and a sticky door handle.  The repairs were not things that needed to be attended to immediately.  And yes, when you include things like stamp duty, legals etc the net return would be substantially less.  So the 49% return i quoted is Gross.  And I should also mention that the rent is Gross too…minus rates, water, insurance and management fees.  I apologise if my first post was misleading to anyone.
    Cheers

Profile photo of joshua.moorejoshua.moore
    @joshua.moore

Hi there 1428 1239,

I am new to the property investing game myself, but have made some other interesting achievements in thanks to the propertyinvesting.com team that might motivate you

Since 2008:

• Started setting goals more regularly.
    • Started saving regularly and consistently. This is becoming a finance pool for investing.
    • Started a blog.
    • Quit smoking.
    • Started developing good habits (such as exercising, getting things done, etc.)
    • Got into a Bachelor of Business at university after dropping out of school a few years ago.

Last year, we finally finished building a mud brick house (Never again). It is now for sale and we plan to rent for a while and use the sale proceeds to invest our first renovation project, which will be much smaller.

The most important thing (in my opinion nb: this is the major lesson here) is to set goals that challenge you slightly and to build momentum through developing habits that progress you forward daily. Everyone starts with one deal and by spending less than they earn, the important point is that they make a start and continue to persist when the challenges and set backs begin to occur.

Best of Success!

Profile photo of 1428 12391428 1239
    Participant
    @1428-1239

hey S Hales

yes your dead right  non success stories would be a great addition aslong as the details that can be learnt from are provided.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.