All Topics / General Property / cost to build tilt slab and houses

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

has anyone built a tilt slab building and how much did it cost per sqm excluding land.

or does anyone no the cost for tilt slabs psqm, say if i wanted slabs 5 meters high x say 5 meters wide what would this cost for the tilt slab only, i will stand it up.

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888

Hi keiko,

Here's a construction cost estimate table from bmt quantity surveyorshttp://www.bmtqs.com.au/construction_cost_table.htm

This will give you a guide, however, not sure about just the cost of materials with you doing the assembly work.. Hope this helps get you started…..perhaps give them a call to ascertain costs break down between tilt slab and labour. Perhaps there is a percentage guide that they use. If you find out, please post back as there may be others on this site who are interested.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by  Michael 888.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Forum Moderator Forum Moderator.
    Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

Keiko,

Not sure of your background or skill but, tilt slab panels are not something to be attempted by the inexperienced. They can be very dangerous and have resulted in deaths through wind gusts or incorect bracing equipment.

They do appear to be becoming more popular, even in domestic construction, but be careful !!!

Profile photo of wade anthonywade anthony
    Participant
    @wade-anthony

Keiko

I'm a structural and architectural designer, and I have a fare bit of knowledge  with tilt panels. I've designed buildings ranging from residential – townhouses/houses, commercial to industrial buildings using tilt slabs. Cost per/M² can vary depending on the thickness of the panels. I've found that using tilt slabs there is a lot more of planning involved up front (but with knowledge this is not a problem) as with all construction there are many different ways that you can approach it. If you are going to build by owner builder (for a house) I would advise to get the slabs tilted by a pro. and do the fix out to save on costs.

In residential and commercial projects, BASIX and BCA section J regulates that insulation is required. Tilt slabs save a lot of time and labor = $, if planned properly you should be able to have a house up to lock up in about 7 – 10 days (not including fix out). I'm working on a project for myself consisting of a 5 townhouse development and costings at the moment is up around the $380K mark finished and including earth works.

Tilt slabs can be cast on site for bigger panels or trucked to site for smaller panels, the biggest panel if used is 8.0m(h) x 9.0m(w) x 175mm(t), it all depends on the crane size available.

Costs (based on costs of my local tradesman)

125 thick slabs allow $120-130 per/M²
    150 thick slabs allow $130-140 per/M²

Comparing brick with tilt panels.

There are 50 bricks per/M² + laying (20m² per 1000 bricks approx.) + framing if brick veneer or double if cavity brick (face brick allow 5% waste, commons allow 2.5%)

I hope this helps
    If you would like some more information drop me a email
    [email protected]

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools
    keiko wrote:

or does anyone no the cost for tilt slabs psqm, say if i wanted slabs 5 meters high x say 5 meters wide what would this cost for the tilt slab only, i will stand it up.

You need to be a qualified rigger to erect precast panels.You can't just hire a crane and have a go at it yourself. Keep in mind too that the bigger the panels are, the bigger the crane you will need for erection.

Tools

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

Thanks for all your reply's. yea  i wouldn't stand them up on my own i would have several guys helping me for those days but my main question i needed is what wade awnsered about $130 psqm for the slab side of things as ive had quotes to do start to finish projects which i can do, but nobody would supply me the tilt slabs on there own and they would not give me a price for just the tilt slabs,
    Wade who would i contact to have these made up?

cheers

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Your first port of call needs to be to your engineer to design the panels and propping. Who you see next depends on wether they are tilt slabs (ie poured on site) or precast (cast in a factory). For tilt slabs you need to see a concreter. For precast you need to see a precast company. They will do shop drawings and send them to you for approval. Once they are approved they will cast them and deliver to you on site. They usually supply and erect, but some will supply only.

Tools

Profile photo of gmchenrygmchenry
    @gmchenry

Just confirming Tools & jazz77's comments – you need to be a qualified Intermediate Rigger (RI) to erect tilt slabs, and to be a qualified carpenter or builder with relevant training to join them.

G.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.