All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice in buying our first IP, account structuring, gearing, tax and risk

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

Hi all, I've been reading the forums for a while and decided to join today and get stuck in.

My wife and I purchased our PPoR in September 2001. Currently owe about $80,000 on the mortgage, with the value of the property being over $1m, so have a fair amount of equity. We have a P&I loan at variable rates (5.04% currently). The property is in my wifes name only.

Given the current times, we foresee some opportunity to start building our property portfolio, and need advice.

I work full time, taking in $172,800p.a. My wife is a stay at home mum. I pay an exorbitant amount of tax.

If possible, I would like some sound advice on investing in our first IP, given the above information.

Negative/positive gearing?

Account structuring?

Tax implications?

Risk avoidance/minimization?

Thank-you all.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Paulie

Yes you are right you certainly have a fair amount of equity so need to structure it correctly to maximise the use.

Depending on how active you want to be in your investing path will determine the strategy for going forward.

I would be looking at taking out a line of credit against the security of your PPOR from which you will draw down the 20% deposit and acquisition costs for each new IP.

Then probably with a separate lender you would look to fund 80% of the new purchase price on interest only.

Structuring the deal you would look to buy either in your sole name or as tenants in common with you holding say 99% of the shares.

There are a few other strategies depending on your future income whether the property will be positively / negatively geared etc etc but unfortunately it is not a matter of one hat fits all.

Each client has individual requirements.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Plus offset account to manage your rental, etc affairs…

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would set up a LOC and concentrate on repaying the remaining $80,000. Once you have done that then you will have some spare cash left over each month. So I would look at using a discretionary trust. You can start gifting to the trust so that it builds up some funds and then start buying new investment properties. Use interest only loans with 100% offset account with the trust's cash in there saving interest. The properties will hopefully start becoming positive geared very quickly and this income can be distributed to the lower income tax earner.

If you start buying in your name now for negative gearing benefits, then you are just creating a time bomb. You may save a little but of tax for 1 or 2 years, but then suffer by paying top tax rate tax on your rental incomes and CGT after that.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

Thank you.

I was thinking of an interest only account with 100% offset for the IP loan.

I'd like to find a positively geared property, and if so, will put it under my wife's name, as she is a stay at home mum.

Participant
    @qlds007

Rather than put it in your wifes name why not put it in a Discretionary Family Trust as this will give you extra options as well as good asset protection.

Participant
    @qlds007

Duplicated

@paullie

Well I have absolutely no idea how they work. :)

Participant
    @qlds007

Ok well me things you should get some professional advice before you buy the next property as for tax and loan planning a DFT is something you definately need to consider as a buying entity.

If you have more than 1 dependant or are thinking of having further children the benefits get greater as you go along.

@paullie
    Profile photo of neilvsneilvs
    @neilvs

What's a PPoR??

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Principal Place of Residence

Profile photo of shanemattshanematt
    @shanematt

Firstly surround yourself with people that specialize in investing in property that are much smarter that yourself and currently hold many investment properties themselves. Anyone other than that is just a theorist. These people are as follows

-tax agent that specializes in investment property (not a bit of everything)
    -mortgage broker   "   "                     "
    -conveyancer    "     "
    -buyers agent if used  "     "     "

You will miss out on money if you go to just anyone thats a nice person.

There are many ways to make money in property.Why have you chosen to buy a postive cash flow property?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.