All Topics / Help Needed! / Getting a Certificate of Occupancy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Tony BTony B
    @tony-b

Got an ownerbuilder or renovator, not sure what the deal is with this place. Wants to sell me the place, its not finished yet. It was an old house that was renovated to the point of a rebuild. The only old original parts left are the stumps. Anyway the vendor is living in it, with out a certificate of Occupancy. Can you do this. He told me I need one and what needs to be done, fixed, to get it. I thought you had to have a Certificate to move in. Why would you require one if it was a renovation. Do you need a Cert. & if so why, if it was a renovation only. If for some reasion what could be wrong as its going cheap.
    Any one got any info, knowledge of these Cert. of Occ. Im in Victoria.

Much appreciate your ideas, experience on this one.

Cheers
    T………………….

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Tony, it would be prudent to put the condition of obtaining the certificate of occupation back onto the vendor. The risk being, if inspections have not been undertaken by the council or private certifier, you will need to open up walls, demolish walls, expose footings/reo, remove tiles etc in order to allow the certifier to inspect the building works (This may cost $10K+++).

At the very least, you will need to get copies of all inspections undertaken by the certifier, as well as copies of the DA/CC stamped plans, proof of payment of all fees to the certifier, copies of any survey, water board diagram, plumbers certificate, electrical certificate etc.

It is possible to occupy a premises without a certificate of occupancy (provided that the certifier has undertaken all inspections and the works have been deemed ok).

Profile photo of Tony BTony B
    @tony-b

IP
    Thank heaps. I like the place, but. It seems a bit funny, I get the feel somethings not working out for them and they want to get rid of it asap. What also concerns me is the 5 Star energy rating. It may need double glazed windows and now they realize it and the cost they what to sell it. 

"At the very least, you will need to get copies of all inspections undertaken by the certifier, as well as copies of the DA/CC stamped plans, proof of payment of all fees to the certifier, copies of any survey, water board diagram, plumbers certificate, electrical certificate etc."

The above  I'm not up for, too much work and I bet they wont be in the Sect. 32.  Think I will pass it up unless I can get it cheap. Or maybe subject to Vendor getting the Cert. If the inspections go that far It may not pass as Ive had a bit of a look and somethings are a bit out of place.

Thanks mate.

Regards
    T………………..

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You will also find it very hard to finance – unless the valuer/lender is not aware it doesn't have the cert

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.