All Topics / General Property / Positive/Neutral Geard Property Everywhere?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of waterwater
    @water

So with the interest rate cuts it seems everywhere i look there is positive/neutral geard properties available….

an example

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=105313279&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=6093622&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1235534506

say you get it for $220000
    20% deposit makes loan $176000 @ 5.81% available from Resi 30 yr term

makes repayments

$196.65pw interest only or $238.00 pw principle and interest

Renting out at $250

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=403690875&f=20&p=10&t=ren&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=51658707&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1235534923

That is a simple pulled straight off Realestate.com.au no work to be done – no clevers with renovating or …. walk in walk out??

There seems to be alot of deals like this around… Good Deal no?

Am i missing something?

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    water wrote:
    Am i missing something?

Just the fact that it is a currently deflating asset class….

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

I am looking at a property in a regional city ATM. 9.1% straight up with potential for rent increase. They are out there.

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

devo 76
                 In 6 months it will be 12% when the price drops further.

Profile photo of waterwater
    @water

Thanks for the replies…

So Ummester & W J Hooker you are saying wait better deals are to come?

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

water your 20% deposit is also worth something lets say 5.81% and if you got the house for $220k that means you would need the property to return approx $13k p/a plus rates insurance vacancy etc so now your easily at $15k p/a and with a rental of $250pw will return you $13k and your still out of pocket $2k so this property is negitivly geared. i always take into account everything especialy my own cash i put in because that has to be worth something

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Current investment rates are less than 5.81% so might want to re-work those figures as the deal will be more attractive.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@devo76
    WJ Hooker wrote:
    devo 76
                 In 6 months it will be 12% when the price drops further.

I would be happy to take the guaranteed 9% now than a possible 12 % in the future. In this time it could sell,prices stabilise,my personal circumstances may change and i can no longer buy.
    I think holding for that extra might become a greed driven reaction.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

go under asking price and buy it

@devo76

Sold today for $10,000 more than i had him down too. And he would have gone down further Bloody FHB. There will always be another one. Actually there is one around the corner. Yield is only 7% but room to improve and the block is subdividable and it is in a better area. Might low ball that one tomorrow.

Participant
    @bardon

Hey well done getting in there, fancy posting the link to the next one ?what was the contrarct price on the one you missed out ?

question questions

I think I will get another mortgage before infaltion sets in

@devo76
    bardon wrote:
    Hey well done getting in there, fancy posting the link to the next one ?what was the contrarct price on the one you missed out ?

question questions

I will post a link to this one after sale has finalised just incase it falls through and i get another go.As for the one im looking at now. keeping that one to myself.The return is not the greatest but it is prime development land in very sought after area and return good be pushed to about 8.5% at next rental review.Will post if i lose interest.

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

water,
              keiko makes a valid point, of course his numbers will change for every house and every interest rate change and every different deposit and everyones tax rates etc, he is pointing out that you have to consider all the costs. Most beginners just say its $250,000 costs at $250 per week so that's a profit of 5%. It's not that simple.
    ps You need more rental % return for cheaper houses than more expensive houses to end up with the same % in your hand after costs.

devo 76,

yes those fhog are getting in on anything thats cheap, but have patience their numbers are dwindling, soon you will be the only one buying.

As a side issue – has anyone besides me noticed that most of the first home owners are going to leave their houses after 6 months and go back home. This is going to create a lot of empty cheap houses as time goes past, maybe dropping the rentals on cheap houses??

Participant
    @bardon
    devo76 wrote:
    bardon wrote:

question questions

I will post a link to this one after sale has finalised just incase it falls through and i get another go.As for the one im looking at now. keeping that one to myself.The return is not the greatest but it is prime development land in very sought after area and return good be pushed to about 8.5% at next rental review.Will post if i lose interest.

Thank Devo 76 good luck with the negotations and look forward to reviewing the links when your right with it.

Profile photo of Playa ChickenPlaya Chicken
    @playa-chicken

I'm of the "buy now" camp if it is already positively geared, it's only going to get better as rents rise.

The problem with waiting for interest rates to drop further is how will you know when they've bottomed out?  You wont' know until they start going up again .   Same for house prices.

I reckon if it's positive today, BUY.

Vicky

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    Playa Chicken wrote:
    I'm of the "buy now" camp if it is already positively geared, it's only going to get better as rents rise.

The problem with waiting for interest rates to drop further is how will you know when they've bottomed out?  You wont' know until they start going up again .   Same for house prices.

I reckon if it's positive today, BUY.

Vicky

What makes you so sure rents can rise sustainably?

@playa-chicken

I'm speaking only of NZ here ….

• Less people flooding to Ozzie
    • Foreign immigration to NZ is still positive
    • Kiwis returning home due to world economy

I'm finding a lot of properties that are $50+ a week positive cashflow.

For example:  I  have 2 x 3-bed properties on a freehold cross-lease title available for NZ $282K  (AUD $221K).  Rents are $535/week for the pair.  With 80% gearing and funded at 6.5% interest rate for 5 years (standard Bank mortgage) they are $60 positive a week on P&I or $129 a week positive on interest only.

So, even if rents pull back by $30 a week per house, this property is neutrally geared on P&I.  

As Warren Buffet would say:

Be fearful when others are being greedy
    Be greedy when others are being fearful.

Greedy Vicky!!

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    Playa Chicken wrote:

Vicky

Saw your reply as this has been queried before but you forgot to add to your list

more people out of work
    people in work, working less hours earning less
    more people unloading deflating assets,

you need to look at both sides of your equation.

@playa-chicken

Fair call gmh454.  I am primarily speaking of people buying who have positioned themselves to be in a good place to take advantage of the great deals we are seeing, people that are happy to buy with a 4% spread from interest rate vs. yield, people that presumably are not out of work or working less hours.

My buyers list is growing in leaps and bounds, not unlike the 2004-2006 period where we were last seeing 10% plus yields, even though interest rates were 7-8% back then, but people were happy to buy anything on a 10% yield.

From what I can gather, the ones that are buying are not the people out of work, those working less hours, or those unloading their deflating assets because they have over borrowed on them.  The people buying have carefully positioned themselves and are not over-leveraged, so they are comfortable putting 20% into own a property which in effect makes it even more positively geared.

Interesting times we are seeing!!

Vicky

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Playa it is those at the margin who move trends.

Remember China, it had 1.2 kabillion people all who needed a car, that would create a demand for iron ore and coal that would drive Oz for the next 100 plus years of unending boom. The US market was only a small part of their economy, if the US hiccups China will be fine and so will we.

That is not an exact quote but it is here on this website in many forms from back in 2006 + 2007.

Yep, the US was only a small part and it only slowed a little, but the impact of small margin movements has a very significant effect far outweighing the % of that movement.

All you need is few to drop out of the market to kill your market.

To get a bargain on ebay be the only bidder. To pay far more than the starting price you only  need one buyer, not hundreds. Same thing in reverse.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.