All Topics / Help Needed! / mortage broker > questions?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

Hi guys im meeting swith a mortage broker. im a virgin at it so i have a few questions just about loans, IO, bla bla..but i would appreciate some help on WHAT I SHOULD ASK??

but are there some things i should look out for

im 18, buying > 10KM from city unit/flat. buying it with the missus,.

so yeah? anything would help!

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd
    Profile photo of Wendy ChamberlainWendy Chamberlain
    Participant
    @moorew

Hi Wealthyyjvd,

Rather than what you should ask, make sure you think about first what you are looking for.  A good broker is going to want to know what your goals are, what you are looking to achieve, what your investing strategy is, etc.  They'll also need to know your current financial status so they know your starting point.

They need to know this so that they can best advise you regarding the type of loan you need, the best structure that you should purchse through, what is going to be the best fit for you.

So to flip it, you could ask them, based on your goals, strategies, outcomes you are looking to achieve, what they could suggest and recommend (from a loan perspective).  For example, if you are buying to hold short term (even 3-5 years) and then sell, the product/loan they recommend may be different to what they'd suggest for a 10+ year hold.  For a short term hold, there would be higher exit fees on some loans/products for example.

Ask them to explain the difference between IO and P&I and how it would affect your own scenario – both pros and cons.  Brokers earn their money from a trail fee from the banks.  The majority do the right thing and put you into the best loan for you, not the one best for their payment, but worth asking the question around that too.

Your broker can best advise you when they know more about you.

I hope this helps.
    Wendy

Wendy Chamberlain | Chamberlain Property Advocates
    https://www.wendychamberlain.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne Buyers Agent & Sellers Advocate | Independent | Flat Fee

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

thanks heaps, anything i should look out for

i have made up a list of like 10-15 questions, should i stop or just keep going.

anything specific i should talk about?

anything else would be appreciated!!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Why not post what they recommend and we can comment on it for you.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

thanks guys,

yes indeed i will. ive got a huge list ready at the moment.

just a bit of background:

im 18 & buying an investment property with my g/r (also 18)
    we have 11-12,000 saved at the moment, but plan to have 22-23,000 saved by the end of may.
    just in time for the grant.
    we earn combined income of 40-45,000 NET
    both go to uni.
    and are looking for something around the 220-250k mark, if we can get this.
    we will get the grant and i plan to live in it for 6 months. so thats another 7k (as ive taken away 10k – for s/d)

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

Hey again,

as i posted earlier, i said i would be meeting with a mortgage broker Monday night, well we are heading into Tuesday and i just want to inform you guys of what i was told

1. me and my partner would need a letter from our current work stating that we have secure jobs, (as they are part-time, and many lenders look at part-time for over a 2 year period, so i do not qualify as ive been there 1 year, just) – and i would need this letter stating that it is a "permanent position" with "extra hours that are generally available."

2. we may be able to get stamp duty waived/ or a small portion of it waived as we only earn 25k gross (each) and are students

3. our credit card limit (which currently stand at 9k, combined) should be reduced to around 1-2k, however we are quite disciplined.

4. a P+I loan will be better, as we are applying for the FHOG, a IO loan will be for investors, and the lender would rather us pay money into the loan to reduce the balance

5. the FHOG counts toward the deposit

basically, it was our jobs that was the only factor, saying that they are "part-time" will have an impact however stating they are "permanent position doing 26 hours p/w" we may be able to persuade the lenders it is full-time with reduced hours

anyone?w what do you guys think? pers. info is above this post.

cheers

Profile photo of daniel01daniel01
    @daniel01

Hi im sure if im in the right spot to post this but ineed help to work out what step i should take next.
    My girl and have a block of land worth $110000 on the east coast (which we own out right)and we have $20000 in savings to start investing.
    i earn $120000 a year before tax and am paying no rent.
    What should i do in terms of my move?
    Sell the block?
    Build multiple dwellings?
    or use it as colateral?
    Please help; -)
    Daniel.

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Daniel

I wont comment about whether you should sell the block or develop it as without  alot more information it is difficult to comment on that however one thing i would say is with the block being an asset certainly look to gear against it and use the funds for a deposit to purchase other IP's.

Probably a line of credit would be the most flexible type of product whereby interest is only charged on the funds drawn down.

Just make sure the block of land and the new IP's are not done with cross collateralised loans otherwise you may have issues if you do decide to sell it.

Back to the block of land unless it is going up in value just sitting there you maybe better off to construct a dwelling upon it to at least generate an income flow.

Other consideration would be the First Home Owners Grant but that is for a separate post.

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

what is this, a thread HIJACK?

qlds007 what do you think of my situation?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    wealthyjvd wrote:
    Hey again,

as i posted earlier, i said i would be meeting with a mortgage broker Monday night, well we are heading into Tuesday and i just want to inform you guys of what i was told

1. me and my partner would need a letter from our current work stating that we have secure jobs, (as they are part-time, and many lenders look at part-time for over a 2 year period, so i do not qualify as ive been there 1 year, just) – and i would need this letter stating that it is a "permanent position" with "extra hours that are generally available."

2. we may be able to get stamp duty waived/ or a small portion of it waived as we only earn 25k gross (each) and are students

3. our credit card limit (which currently stand at 9k, combined) should be reduced to around 1-2k, however we are quite disciplined.

4. a P+I loan will be better, as we are applying for the FHOG, a IO loan will be for investors, and the lender would rather us pay money into the loan to reduce the balance

5. the FHOG counts toward the deposit

basically, it was our jobs that was the only factor, saying that they are "part-time" will have an impact however stating they are "permanent position doing 26 hours p/w" we may be able to persuade the lenders it is full-time with reduced hours

anyone?w what do you guys think? pers. info is above this post.

cheers

My answers:

1. Strange. A payslip or 2 should do. Maybe you are casual?

2.  Strange again. There is no stamp duty if you are buying your first home and are eligible for the FHOG and the value of the property is under a certain amount.

3. Reduced credit card limit will mean more borrowing power.

4. I disagree. IO would be better for many reasons.
     a) minimal repayments,
     b) better for tax reasons
     c) can still pay extra as if PI and then revert to minimum payment if need be
     d) using a 100% offset will save you the same interest

The only potential downside is you will accumulate more money in your offset and maybe tempted to spend it. Most banks allow IO loans on owner occupied properties.

5. yep

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

2.  Strange again. There is no stamp duty if you are buying your first home and are eligible for the FHOG and the value of the property is under a certain amount.

hmm, i just called the SRO and thye said there is still s/d?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

What state are you in?

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd
    Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

i am a student-full time
    working – permanent part-time

Participant
    @qlds007

wealthyjvd

Stamp Duty has nothing to do with whether you are working or not or age or anything like that and is purely charged on the Transfer value of the property.

If it is your first home then there are concessional benefits available to you.

I think the person at the OSR you spoke to got the wrong end of the stick.

Just on the balance of your thread.

Yes i agree with Terry where possible an Interest Only loan is the way to go whether it is a prime residence or your 5th investment property. WHY – because circumstances change and the loan needs to be flexibale and change with you.

Can you use the FHOG as deposit. Yes / No depending on the lender.

2 lenders came out with a policy change yesterday saying they would not allow the FHOG to be the sole source of deposit.

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd
    Qlds007 wrote:
    wealthyjvd

Stamp Duty has nothing to do with whether you are working or not or age or anything like that and is purely charged on the Transfer value of the property.

If it is your first home then there are concessional benefits available to you.

I think the person at the OSR you spoke to got the wrong end of the stick.

hey QLD007/
    i spoke to someone at the VICTORIAN STATE REVENUE OFFICE.. where can i find out what concessions are available,

i dont own a concession card, such as health care card or anything of the such, i am just a student. my partner and i both,

where is this info avaialable?

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

sorry OSR is basiccalt the SRO in vic…

QLDS007, i just read on the SRO website that you can either receive the BONUS ($3000) or the concession, not both, but i dont think they were talkking about the S/D concession..

cheers.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If your in VIC I think you may need to have a child before you get the stamp duty exemption.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

In Vic i think you will find that because you get the $3000 boost you dont get an exemption on your stamp duty.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.