All Topics / Help Needed! / NEW TO INVESTING – SYDNEY STUDIO UNIT A GO?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of LeenieLeenie
    @leenie

Hi there,

I'm 19 yrs old earning about 50k pa, new to property investing so hoping to gain some advice or direction for my circumstance below:

I'm interested in purchasing a studio unit in sydney eastern suburbs advertised $239k but my budget is $225k max. The studio is less than 30sqm however it is not a high rise apartment so strata is low about $350pq (no car park, swimming pool, etc). Water and council rates add up to approx 1k pa. Rental return is about $300 pw. It is close to public transport, unis, colleges, cafes, bars, etc and i think the vacancy rates are low.

I've obtained finance advice and can get loan with st george basic variable, interest and principle for 80% of the purchase price. I'm eligible for FHOB so will be using the grant as part of 20% deposit. Also eligible for the stamp duty exemption. I intend to live in the unit for the first 6 month period and rent it out after this period.

My questions are:
    -If I am successful in securing it for $225k would this be a good investment? I calculated Yield is 6.9% is this good?
    -I'd like to rent the unit out furnished, is it wise to buy furnishings while I'm living there in the first 6 months or buy the furniture when I put it up for rent for tax advantages?
    -Also is principal + interest repayment option not a good way to go in terms of going from owner occupied to investment property? If I switch to interest only when I rent it out would this be beneficial? I'm not sure what the costs are associated with changing it to interest only or whether it is possible to do so. I know I cannot get a 100% offset account with the loan I intend to get with st george.
    -I'd like to obtain another investment property in about 2 years time; can I keep this one as my PPoR (while renting it out and I will board with my parents) and still buy another IP? I plan to sell the first investment after 5 years of renting it out while maintaining it in PPoR status (to get CGT exemption), then make the second investment property my PPoR by living in there for a few months to also get CGT exemption on the second one. Is this a good strategy and are there any laws/regulations against this?

Your responses would greatly assist, positive or negative. I've been reading many posts and have gained a lot of knowledge re property investments from you all but hopefully with this post it will give me the answers I'm searching for regarding my situation. Many thanks in advance!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds like a good plan. But get IO now. WOuld be good to have the offset too.

One major concern is the size of the unit. 30sqm is very small. St G is one of the few lenders who will lend for this type. So prospective purchasers will have trouble getting finance when you sell. This will limit capital growth and sale price – but should also be reflected in your purchase price.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

I may be reading it wrong but are you planning to rent it out straight away. If so i dont think you will be eligable for the grant. You must live in the property to get it.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Devo

Yes you will still be elligble for the Grant as long as you occupy the property for 6 months within the first 12 months after settlement.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of LeenieLeenie
    @leenie

Hi Terryw, thank you for the advice, i will be opting for interest only option and try and go for 100% offset account. I was a little concerned about the size of the unit too but anything bigger is outside my price range for the location i'm after.

Hi Devo76, Richard, yes I intend to live in it for the first 6 months of purchase. Thanks for your feedback

Hope you all have a great week ahead!

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

whats the difference if you have IO and put money into the loan or have IO and save in offset?

Participant
    @terryw
    wealthyjvd wrote:
    whats the difference if you have IO and put money into the loan or have IO and save in offset?

Big tax consequences if it is an investment.

Money paid into a loan = repayment.

Withdrawing = new borrowings.

If you put extra money into the loan and then wanted to withdraw $1000 for a holiday, then the interest on this portion would not be deductible. Imagine if you did this frequently, you would have a huge loan but maybe unable to claim the interest on most of it. Plus it would be a nightmare to work out.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

yes I0 loan with offset and buy a bigger unit. Which eastern suburb are you looking at? 
    Have you tryed darlinghurst east sydney area, another area offering good yeilds is chippendale and darlington.

I was looking at this kind of property about a yrs ago (cant imagine much upward price movement since) and I looked at a fantastic 50m2 apartment in a lovely heritage building in darlinghurst , right behind the museum, that had a DA  to add a  window and obtain city and hyde park views, sold for around 235K with a quick $5000 makeover would rent $320 plus and add 20K value.

Just incase your wondering,  I decided to buy a house in brisbane in the $300k range……..well its a house not a shoebox….

Profile photo of blazeblaze
    Participant
    @blaze
    Terryw wrote:
    wealthyjvd wrote:

Big tax consequences if it is an investment.

Money paid into a loan = repayment.

Withdrawing = new borrowings.

If you put extra money into the loan and then wanted to withdraw $1000 for a holiday, then the interest on this portion would not be deductible. Imagine if you did this frequently, you would have a huge loan but maybe unable to claim the interest on most of it. Plus it would be a nightmare to work out.

I dont quite understand here. So in a 100% offset account you may withdraw the money for a holiday and the extra interest you pay will be tax deductible but you cant claim those that on a normal basic loan with redraw facility?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Blaze

In essence you have it in 1.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @terryw

It works because with a 100% offset you are not actually paying down the loan. So when you move money in and out of that account the loan is untouched.

Email Me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.