All Topics / Finance / Lender Woes-Big Bank Via Broker

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

We previously borrowed through a credit union and never had any problems.  This time it has been loans from a big bank via a broker.  The gaps in communication, information and transparency have been frequent and frustrating.

To top it off, the sale of our house settled on Monday and as we have a portable fixed rate loan, a cash deposit was security on the loan.  We still don't know where our cash deposit is in the works and the bank personnel don't know either.  The best they could do was lodge an urgent enquiry which should be attended to within 24 to 48 hours (!!!)  With a long weekend almost here that means we might be lucky to hear news by next Tuesday or Wednesday.

We are wanting to exchange on another property but we can't because we still haven't got all of our money – or the interest  it should be earning because we haven't got it.  (We won't feel secure about exchanging until this is sorted)

It is unacceptable and has pretty much ensured that when we can, we will switch lenders.  Maybe we are over reacting, but aftern 20 years of good experiences and for the last 4 months nothing but angst this has been very unsettling.

Are we just unlucky or have other people had similar experiences? 

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hi Boshy

Yes just had a similarly fraustating experience via the ANZ recently. The left hand has no idea what the right is doing! They have laid off 800 people so they say, yet opposite to what the media is saying about lending being down, they have had a HUGE increase since Sept/Oct with interest rates lowering so much and the 4 banks holding all the aces. I was told an increase of 40 – 100 million in loan applications in 2-3 weeks as an example.
    They are also taking twice as long to process and basic mistakes are being made every day. My 4 months was an eye opener and so fraustrating I wanted to hit someone.
    Good luck and dont give up.

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

Saphphire101 maybe we should wear a special badge of honour for having survived the ordeal without bursting a blood vessel or screaming out loud.  LOL.    Real life education…

After many fruitless calls … I did find out how things worked, where our money is, what has to happen and what is happening next from a lovely lady who went the extra mile late in the afternoon.  (An absolute angel.)

At least now, we can relax a bit and enjoy the Australia Day long weekend!!!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Boshy

What happened? Where was your money and why had it disappeared for so long?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @boshy888

It all started when we went to the bank and asked what the penalty fee would be if we got out or our fixed loan.  At that time, it was no penalty.  Checked a month later and was told it was still nothing.  We asked what it would be if the rates went below the current fixed rate – we actually laboured over this point to ensure they understood what we were asking.  They emphatically insisted $0.  We couldn't figure it out – how could that be?  Were the banks that desperate for cash???  Checked again and still same answer.  Put house up for sale and after a week checked again and was told nasty news of tens of thousands of dollars penalty fees.  We were really angry because we were either lied to, or the two people who gave us the information previously were mind blowingly incompetent.  Ok.  So…. we keep loans but thankfully they are portable (small grace).  Penalty fees we understand but not the misinformation.

Find buyers to buy house and their lender (same as ours) takes ages and was also a frustrating experience for buyers.

We settled on Monday with part of the proceeds (security amount) being paid into the bank, part by cheque (as requested)  to us.  We banked the cheque the following day and fully expected to see the funds for the security deposit somewhere in our account as well. Nope.  Bank branch had no idea where it was. Broker didn't know either. Phoned loan hotline – they didn't know either and acted worried.  Nothing on our account file to indicate it was in the works anywhere.  Broker assured us it would turn up even though they didn't know where it was exactly.

Two working days later, lender hotline personnel still didn't know where it was. Still not showing in bank.  Checked with conveyancer who the cheque was made out to, who it given to and when it was banked. Bank phoned us and they wanted to put OUR surplus $ into fixed term which I refused to do and they got confused.

Turns out that $ had been banked into a pool or 'holding' account of the banks. They said it only settled yesterday despite the real estate being settled 5 working days prior.  (The bank cheque they were given was drawn and cashed by the same bank – not sure about branch – from my understanding.) 

There were also other snarly details that cause anxiety but I won't expand on those.  I complained about the interest we had lost over the week and now over the weekend since I found out the term deposit was scheduled to be set up Friday. 

Why the funds kicked around for so long and why the trail of where the process was up to, was not visible to personnel in the lending centre is still a mystery.  We had no idea that the bank was so compartmentalised that different sections could only 'bits' of information and even the branch staff didn't appear to know this.  Better communication and transparency of process would have prevented a lot of the angst.  In previously non-bank dealings money banked had simultaneously appeared in the account it was deposited to, even if it couldn't be accessed few a days till it was cleared.  Broker did not had sufficient knowledge of the process either.

Like I said before, maybe our reaction was too strong but selling, moving, buying etc is already stressful enough with having to wonder where the hell a very large chunk of your money is.

Participant
    @boshy888

*(But it wasn't set up on Friday)

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think the problem arose because your term deposit wasn't just a term deposit, but security for keeping your loan open. You wouldn't be able to withdraw from this like you normally would and it wouldn't show up normally on your internet banking etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @boshy888

We always knew we would not be able to access the funds in the deposit as it was security. It was the fact that bank personnel in the lending centre and branches were unable to access information and no-one informed us of the process.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.