All Topics / Legal & Accounting / FHOG Qld- Trusts/Buyers in Common & disqualifications

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Derwood27Derwood27
    @derwood27

Hi All,

I have started to run out of options, spoke to a few accounts and lawyers, but so far little leads. Can anyone help or refer me to some one who knows the answer?

In short, there are 3 parties. We all have never owned property before and want to take advantage of the FHOG, stamp duty concessions etc in Qld. It is our intention to:

1. Buy a parcel of land with an old house on it and knock it down
    2. Develop that parcel into 3 small townhouses. Each town house will sit on their own free hold lot (requires planning approval)
    3. Once new titles are created, each party takes a town house on its own title. Known as single unit dwellings in Brisbane.

Option 1.
    I was thinking some kind of trust was the way to go to purchase the original parcel. I understand this would subject us to stamp duty on this block. Then once developed, each party buys off the trust a townhouse. As we are first home owners we get the stamp duty and mortage duty exemptions. Can this work?

When I read the rules on FHOG in Queensland, It talks about having held a previous interest in a property. Although it is the same land, through the trust we have turned it from 1 title into 3 new titles. Does buying the parent parcel under a trust mean we as beneficiares held an interest in property and therefore disqualifies us from the FHOG when we each take the new titles regardless that the parent parcel we bought was not our principle place of residence?

Is there GST implications with trusts?

Option 2
    Buys in Common. As above… does this mean that as all three have bought the original land, mean we have held an interest in the land and therefore no FHOG?

Does anyone know who to arrange this so we can buy a block of land, develop it into 3 new titles and all 3 of us still be entitled to FHOG?

Many thanks for your time
    Darren.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

hi Darren

Firstly on trusts

Will being a beneficiary under a trust prevent you from getting the grant later on? I don't think so because:

– Without knowing it you are probably already the beneficiary of hundreds of discretionary trusts set up by your distant relatives.

But that is no help, so look at the legislation. In QLD you will need to look at the FIRST HOME OWNER GRANT ACT 2000

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/fhoga2000250/

section 14 "Applicant or applicant's spouse must not have had relevant interest in residential property".

You then look up the definition of 'relevant interest' which has a long list with s8(2)(a) covering trusts:

"(2)(b) an interest is not a relevant interest in the hands of a person who holds it subject to a trust."

Therefore holding under a trust should not prevent you from getting the grant in the future.

Buying in under the trust.

If you purchased the original house under a trust, the trust would be required to pay stamp duty on the purchase and possibly CGT on the sale too if the value has increased – which it may if you sub-divide it.

There would also probably be GST too as the land would be new. If you built the house first and then sold it, there would be GST on the house too.

But if you are all first home owners you should be able to get the grant to buy the house and land after it is sub-divided.

If you buy jointly

You should be able to get the grant – just once between you all. When the sub-division is complete you can transfer titles into individual names. I think there is concessional stamp duty to sub-divide into the same names, but if you were to sub-divide into different names then full stamp duty may be payable (not sure on this).

A possible way around this is setting up a deed of partition from the beginning and you each owning an exact portion of the block. Eg. if 1000sqm and A’s block will be 320sqm when finished, then A should own 32% of the land and so on. Partitioning will mean each owner will solely own their own portion even though all names will be on title. If this is done then you may not have to pay stamp duty (or just a nominal sum) when it is divided.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Darren

Regretfully it cannot be done the way you intend.

Only way to get around it would be for a 4th party (parent for example) to buy the original property and then develop it and sell the 3 of you the individual land parcel or townhouses after it has been developed.

You would need to cover their GST and potental Capital Gains Tax.

All in all not worth it as will cheaper for the 3 of you to go and buy and individual Townhouse as your PPOR and leave this project to be done as an investment deal. 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Derwood27Derwood27
    @derwood27

Hi Terry and Richard,

Thank you both for your comments. It does not sound good, I have spent almost 2 full months putting this together, sounds like I should have started with the accounting first rather then development costs.

Basically every option will require stamp duty on the orginal purchase as well CGT and GST? The government makes it impossible for people to kick start a future for themselfs.

I think I am ok with th FHOG, the rules state you must not have 'owned and occupied' to recieved the grant. So if you dont occupy the parent parcel, just own it as investment, then when we take individual titles we should get the FHOG.

I liked the deed of partition idea, but no so sure we have that in QLD? never heard of it……….

I have looked at the ATO website, it does not have examples for me to use as a cost estimate. Can I ask you for a little extra help? Lets say the parcel was bought for 400k, land development costs were 100k and the 3 units cost 300k to construct so therefore each party had a cost share of 270k approx each and we all took a unit. The valuer says they are worth 400. What am I looking at, to add to the feasibility for each unit to cover CGT and GST?

Its ridiculously confusing.

Many Thanks
    Darren

Participant
    @terryw

Darren

Depends who owns them.

Assuming one entity (trust/company/all of you) owns the block.
    GST
    Construction and Land costs = $800,000 . GST paid = $80,000 approx (maybe no GST on land)
    Selling costs = $1,200,000 GST charged = $120,000
    Net GST shortfall = $40,000

CGT
    Sale price = $1,200,000
    Cost = $800,000
    Profit = $400,000

From this you can deduct buying and selling costs such as legals, agents fees and other costs.
    Then, if you have held the land more than 12 months, you may be able to get the 50% CGT discount.
    So $200,000 CG approx (assume other costs zero for now)

If a discretionary trust, then this profit would be distributed to beneficiaries who pay tax.
    If you all jointly owned it, you would get $$66,000 added to your income, so you would pay a max of 46% or so tax on this = $30k (ea).

This is very rough and probably you would end up paying much less.
    Also have to take into account interest on the loan while building etc and many other costs.

Please see an accountant before you sign any contracts or you could be setting yourself up to pay more tax.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@derwood27

Hi Terry,

Thats slightly expensive! No wonder Richard is saying dont bother.

I find it so difficult to comprehend.

If we buy the parent parcel as tenants in common.
    Then split the block, creating 3 new titles, cancelling the old title ……………

Your saying the government considers that to be a sale to ourselfs and stings us with GST? Regardless that we intend to live in them for over a year? Thats just nuts! I thought that if we use them as PPOR we should be exempt from the GST?

So 120k GST from sale – minus 80k GST Credits = 40k payable in GST (13 k each)

Then CGT – as we are going to own them for more then 12 months as PPOR and maybe hold them for investment – is CGT only payble when we sell them in 1 yr or 20 years time? or are you saying we trigger capital gains when we transfer the new titles to ourselfs at the start?

Bascially do I need to put 13k each for GST (40k) into the budget and also add 30k each for CGT (90k) or can I exclude CGT and pay it in whatever years time when I sell it to someone?

Obviously will have this firmed up by an account at later date, but my understanding of this is increasing and making me hate our govenment.

Thanks again.

Participant
    @qlds007

CGT is only payable once the property is sold.

If the 3 of you own the property develop it into 3 separate titles and hold all 3 in all 3 names then there will be no CGT payable.

Anything different add it in as an expense.

Not as easy to make a profit as it sounds. Lot easier ways to generate both income and capital.

Participant
    @terryw

D

You had better consult an accountant as I am not sure.
    My understanding is when you sub-divide land you are creating new land. The would probably be GST charged on this if you were to sell it. But I recently purchased some new land, just sub-divided and there was no GST charged. I am not sure why???

I also think if you are transferring the land into different names (from 3 names on the original or 1 name each on the new), then this would be considered a sale. And GST and CGT would apply. I think Richard is saying it won't apply if all 3 names on each title after the split.

Remember that CGT is charged on the vendor when selling an investment property. It doesn't matter if the purchaser intends to live in the place. GST is not normally charged on residential property, but it is (I think) on new property. It is the purchaser who would pay this.

CGT would be payable at the end of the financial year in which you sell. So if you sell now it would be due in your tax return which you must submit by Oct 2009. Gives you some time to work around it and try to reduce it – eg prepaying interest to get your deductions up, delaying other income etc.

It is all ridiculously complicated. I don't even try to keep up with it all now as it is too much effort.

Remember I am not an accountant. (Any accountants out there, Eddie??)

Email Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Yes sorry just to clarify I was only stating that CGT would not be payable if after the subdivision each lot remained ina all 3 names.

If you each hold 1 title each then this will be considered a sale from the 3 of you to each of you individually.

Profile photo of eddieceddiec
    @eddiec

Hi all

Happy Australia Day – well, for yesterday anyway.

Yes, I agree this is confusing – keeping up with the thread has been exhausting enough! ;)

A couple of points as I go through the comments:

Buy through trust

1. Similar to Terry, I don't think having a related trust buy a property and then having you three buying off the trust will necessarily disqualify you from the grant.  Under the disqualifying arrangement provisions, the relevant rule to look out for is whether you entered into the arrangement with the sole or main purpose of getting the grant, rather than buying a home.  Given the nature of the land – the trust is akin to an intermediary, which enables the land to be subdivided, thereby allowing you three to purchase separate homes. 

2. Normally, setting up a two tier arrangement like your suggestion would entail double duty but given the first home concession duty rates, I don't think the secondary sale of the separate titles to the three of you will entail duty, provided that the market value of each property on sale is less than $550K.  In other words, there will only be one lot of duty, being the duty payable when the trust buys the land.

3. Terry's rough estimate of the GST is close.  However, the GST could be a tad lower if the trust can buy the land under the "margin scheme".  To qualify, the trust needs to have bought the land from a vendor who either isn't registered or required to be registered for GST or who is selling the land under the margin scheme.  The GST in that scenario may be:

GST on sale: $1.2M – $400K (cost of land) / 11 = $73K.
    GST claimable on development costs: ($100K + $300K) / 11 = $36K
    Net GST payable = $73K – $36K = $37K. 

Not exactly earth shattering compared with Terry's figure of $40K.

4. I suspect the trust will not qualify for the 50% CGT discount because it is likely that it will be taken to be carrying on a one-off profitmaking undertaking, regardless of the period of ownership of the property by the trust.  Therefore, the CGT payable will be more like $60K each.  Ouch.

5. I sympathise with your comment that the government is seeing the trust and yourselves as different people, even though in reality, all you are all trying to do is to buy a home.  However, you need the same rationale to qualify for the grant.  In other words, it is difficult to "have your cake and eat it too".

6. In summary, this is not a good result – you pay GST and income tax of $37K + (3 x $60K) = $217K to qualify for the grant of $14K x 3 = $42K.

Buy as individuals

7. If you buy the land together as tenants in common with a view of building a home on it, you will qualify for $21K in aggregate.  There will not be any GST issue.

8. However, there may potentially be CGT issues when you split the title between the three of you.  That is because, for CGT purpose, each of you may be taken as if you have disposed of two thirds of your one third interest in the land and acquired a third interest from the third interest held by each of the other two parties each (I know – very confusing!).  The CGT liability will depend on the value of the property, relative to its cost base, at the time of the separation of interest.

Potential Solution

9. Given the above issues, in my view, I would try to negotiate with the vendor (eg, pay them more) to encourage them to subdivide the land into three separate titles before your purchase.  That way, each of you may be entitled to $21K without any GST or CGT issues.

10. If you head down this path, you need a good lawyer to draw up the special conditions in the contract, eg, you may need to incorporate an option, which will be exercised upon the subdivision of the land, etc. 

Disclaimer time – as usual, the above doesn't constitute formal advice, blah, blah, blah …. :) Really encourage you to see an accountant to firm up the advice.  Good luck!

Eddie

[email protected]

@derwood27

Eddie, Terry and Richard,

Many thanks for your help on this. Your time and consideration of my issues is very much appreciated. I think I have one last post left in me before running to an account –

Just going to put your solutions in a basket for a second Eddie…………..Why is there no GST when buying as tenants in common?

A summary of the outcomes of this post below as I understand it! Who wants to confirm?????

– 3 Parties Purchase the land which will be developed.
    – We knock down the old house, build three new ones.
    – Split the land into 3 blocks each with a house on it
    – We own one each.

The outcomes –

1. Stamp Duty Payable on parent parcel – signing of contract
    2. GST AND CGT Payable when we take a title each (lets say 6 months later by the time construction finishes)- payable tax return time and because of :
    a) its new land; and
    b) we are making a profit, and have not occupied any of the units as they are new, and we made a sale to ourselves within a year without living there, therefore no CGT discounts.

Question – 
    Why is GST payable not on the land value only of each of the 3 blocks (not taking into consideration the house value) it seems fair to me as the government refers to new land, the houses are not 'new land'. They should not be able to calculate GST payable on the total market value of each lot (i.e value of house + value of land = free cash to Mr Rudd). Its double dipping….some how !

Thanks team
    Darren.

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Darren

You left out stamp duty which you would also incur (I think) when you sub-divide the land into 3 different names.

If you build and sell GST would be payable on the building part too as the building is new. If you sub-divided the land and then built, then no GST as you will be living in it. If you were to sell down the track, then none as the property would no longer be new.

Email Me

@derwood27

Hey Terry,

I left stamp duty off that bit because I think Qld office of revenue allows all land as PPOR to be exempt from stamp duty under 550k value. As I would now own the 1 title in my own name, for my own house, I should escape the stamp duty !…I think :-s

You still confuse me with this selling stuff…..who am I selling it too?

I am building, then subdividing, then living in one……..so no GST???? LOL i am so dumb, I cant understand.

D.

Profile photo of eddieceddiec
    @eddiec

The difference in GST treatment between the two scenarios is due to the concept of "enterprise" in the GST Act.

If a trust buys land, builds a house on it, and sells it to someone (whether related or otherwise), the series of activities will likely be treated as an "enterprise" under section 9-20 of the GST Act.  One of the key criteria for GST to apply to a taxable supply is the existence of an enterprise. 

On the other hand, if the three of you buy land, build a house on it for you to live in, the undertaking will not likely amount to an enterprise, which means GST will not apply.   

At law, the tax legislation treats the trust and you (as individuals) as separate tax entities (each entity is treated as if it has a mind and intent of its own).  Further, if you as individuals buy land, build home, and but do not sell the property, there is no supply.  GST is only payable where there is a supply.

Another potential area to investigate is – would the activities undertaken by the trust constitute an enterprise? It's a gray area.  There could well be scope to launch a reasonably arguable position that there is no enterprise.  If it is cost beneficial, you should perhaps consider lodging a private ruling application with the ATO but that probably wouldn't be helpful if you have time pressure to buy the land.  This is where an accountant's advice may be necessary – but only if it is cost beneficial to seek advice.

Your summary of the implications is close but not technically correct.  As I mentioned before, even if you buy the land as tenants in common under a single title, the subsequent subdivision of the single title into three separate titles may give rise to CGT.  Also, my point about no CGT discount is not time dependent – if you look at the trust as a separate entity from yourselves and its activities involve buying land, developing it, and selling it for a profit, then the transaction is characterised revenue in nature, rather than capital.  If the sale by the trust to the three of you is revenue in nature, CGT discount does not apply (the discount only applies to capital transactions). Other than that, you are very warm.

Eddie
    [email protected]

Participant
    @terryw
    Derwood27 wrote:

Hey Terry,

I left stamp duty off that bit because I think Qld office of revenue allows all land as PPOR to be exempt from stamp duty under 550k value. As I would now own the 1 title in my own name, for my own house, I should escape the stamp duty !…I think :-s

You still confuse me with this selling stuff…..who am I selling it too?

I am building, then subdividing, then living in one……..so no GST???? LOL i am so dumb, I cant understand.

D.

Hi D

I think if you buy the land initially you may be stamp duty exempt, but when you sub-divide it you will be changing ownership. So the 3 of you will be 'selling' each block to one of you. I am not sure, but think there may be stamp duty payable here. This may be avoided if you use a deed of partition. The office of state revenue may be able to help you with this.

Email Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.