All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Re Draw of on Interest Only Loan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of KoozKooz
    @kooz

Hi all,

I am ready to jump into property investing and just have a query b4 I go to my accountant.

Hubby & I have a IP with an interest only loan (started in 2006 and IO period ends in 2010). This is linked to an offset account- in the last year we have paid very little interest on the IO loan. Have paid approx $10k in extra repayments (looking back now not sure why I did that).

My Q is, can I redraw the extra $10k i have paid to put a deposit on a new IP. New IP would probably be in Family Trust name (with hubby as the 'manager' and I having nothing to do with it).

I know there are tax implications in using redrawn funds for other items ie personal reasons and the tax deductions re interest, however considering we paid very little in interest, is this still a consideration.

Cheers

Karen

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes, you can reborrow the $10k. The interest would be attributed to the new property. If you are using a trust, then you would lend the trust the money and charge it the same interest as your loan and the trust gets to claim the interest in its tax return.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of eddieceddiec
    @eddiec
    Terryw wrote:
    Yes, you can reborrow the $10k. The interest would be attributed to the new property. If you are using a trust, then you would lend the trust the money and charge it the same interest as your loan and the trust gets to claim the interest in its tax return.

Speaking like an accountant.  Well said, Terry. :)

I do generally recommend a separate loan account for each property if possible because the Rental Schedule in the tax return requires you to show the interest attributable to each specific property.

Eddie
    [email protected]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.